Another subway slashing

TheNewYorkElevated

Just yesterday morning, a man was slashed by another man just for bumping into each other. The incident occurred at 57th Street/7th Avenue.

"A man was slashed on the subway Friday morning in Midtown — in an incident that’s part of a disturbing trend across the city, both above and underground.

A 60-year-old man from Mahwah was making his way onto a crowded train around 8:15 a.m. when he got into an altercation with another man, 1010 WINS’ Al Jones reported.

Police said the suspect started cursing, sparking the quarrel between the men, CBS2’s Tracee Carrasco reported. At the 57th Street and Seventh Avenue station, serving the N, Q and R lines, the suspect slashed the 60-year-old victim with a small knife in the chin and face before taking off, police said."

Read more: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/26/midtown-subway-slashing/

Will these slashings ever stop? <_<

Yeah, they will stop. And then another type of crime will peak and the cycle will continue. If only people knew how much didn't get out to the media. Then this slashing outbreak wouldn't seem so bad. And for a city of 8.5 million with only just over 22,000 patrolling officers, crime being this low is amazing.

It crazy how often these slashing a occur. Even though I use the subway everyday I still don't have any fear. It's just crazy how people just randomly get slashed or get slashed over something stupid. To know that I can get slashed by accident by stepping on someone's shoes or bumping into sometime is quiet funny just because of how stupid it is. However on a serious note it needs to stop I feel like this has become a trend to some and they want to do it because someone else did it similar to that knock out game about two years ago.

People are overblowing this as some kind of trend. People get into scuffles and fights all over the place. It's nothing new, unfortunately. Somebody threatened me with a razor when I was waiting for the S44 once. I diffused the situation (It was some punk teenager and I was over 18 at the time, so I was honestly more scared of what I would do to the guy and what the legal consequences would've been, rather than being slashed) and moved on. Similar thing happened on the (1) train when some guy started arguing with me after I told people to move in.

Always do your best to diffuse the situation. Better to lose your pride for a few minutes (for somebody you'll never see again) than to get into a fight and deal with the legal and/or physical consequences. Not to say that was necessarily the case here, there might've very well been nothing the 60 year-old could've done, but in general that attitude will come in handy.

These threads, while an inconvenience to your collective subway adoration, should continue to be created.  In fact, YOU should be the ones getting after the MTA to do whatever needs to be done to not only prevent these events from happening, but to keep your beloved subway from suffering hits on its integrity.

You guys hate when I talk about my area, but for years the Detroit buses were on a downhill spiral.  The "powers that be" made a public vow to put cops on them to stop the passenger and operator attacks, and return some sanity for the general, non-misbehaving majority of users.  It made for a good idea, but the regular users saw through the charade.  After all, the system couldn't be depended upon for any sense of regular service already, so they knew it was nothing more than babble at the end of the day.  The criminal classes knew this as well, and kept on doing what they were used to.  Sure, media stories of riders being stranded for hours, then when the bus finally arrives, an instant sardine can inflates simmering tempers even more -- those did nothing, especially since the vast majority of the metro public weren't affected (the area thrives on roadways filled with driver-only cars).  Even internet and news clips showing fights, open crack smoking -- nothing.

Things finally turned for the vast majority of users, but especially NON-users (suburbanites), when a "little old lady" trying to exit merely bumps a 20-something thug woman with a significant criminal record, and gets knifed to death, blocks away from a major hospital/trauma center.  It was an outrageous crime, and something the City could ill afford as a mere "black eye".

See, about a mile and a bit from where the incident happened, one of the City's prized "rebirth" ideas was in construction: a tram running to the "all-new" Downtown: something they're just salivating at for suburbanites to fill (public transport, a hated idea of the region).  Plus the reassuring vibes of "things are safe, don't worry, here in Detroit" could have a significant blow to all of those "tourist" dollars suburbanites have been pouring into the Downtown and Midtown areas.  The hospital close by, a place where plenty of suburbanites frequent already, since it's the home-base of one of the region's hospital systems and healthcare (clinics, etc.) providers.

That incident, at least IMO, turned everything around for the Detroit bus system.  They had finally hit their rock-bottom.  Their customers needed it to happen, in a way.  The slow improvement processes had to be significantly sped up, altered if necessary.

The improvement is there, and has occurred at a faster pace since then.  Until that point, the transportation director was making baby steps, some would say dragging his feet, as changes promised were not really that visible.  It's a whole new ballgame now.

Use your subway knowledge and affection to push the MTA -- and your fellow citizens -- to take vigorous action.  The stories will only stop appearing if YOU, the law-abiding riders, get involved to make the incidents stop, and by pressuring the MTA/NYPD/NYC into action.

Then everyone can continue to tout how wonderful (still flawed) the NYC Subway is.  Until these highly-visible crimes are brought under control -- by constant reminders -- you're letting yourself in for some serious "settling".  Bragging doesn't work when a lot of "But, this happened here ..." stories immediately come to mind.

The MTA stepped up police patrols in the subway before this was even a "real" problem. I've noticed it. Other people I know have noticed it. But there are only so many officers. The Transit Division alone is bigger than the PDs of other large cities, numbering somewhere in the 4000 range. But you can't be everywhere at once.

These stories will stop appearing when another type of crime takes its place. You don't live here. You have no clue how safe these subways actually are. You have no clue what these stepped up patrols look like. All you have to go on is the media which should never be trusted, nor used to gauge a certain situation. The fact that so many people feel safe riding the system overnight is a testament to that and people act like this city hasn't seen worse days.

New York and Detroit are two different places. New York, with it's police force (Just over 50,000 with just over 22,000 being patrolling officers) is doing a great job of keeping crime low. I've lived with my cousin (for 9 years and he was my guardian) who recently became a Lieutenant within the NYPD and it's thanks to him that I've become more aware. These are just trends. The media feeds on your fear. Fear sells and the lovely little sheep eat right into it. Because of him, I've learned about a few terrorist attacks that have come so close to happening that the fact the NYPD and FBI kept it out of the public eye is amazing. Slashing incidents happen everyday. Literally. But you are not gonna hear about all of them.

Notice that it was gun crime before this. Knockout games before that. Gun crime again before that.

Get a grip people. It's really not that bad. Be aware. Use your senses. You can't hear because of headphones? Use your eyes and sixth sense. Can't see and it's dark out? Rely on your ears to make up for the difference. Train yourselves. The problem starts when people are not aware of their surroundings. I've been told that since I was able to go to school alone and it hasn't failed me yet. As adults, people should know better.

In my opinion the slashing are just a trend that is going on. One person did it and many people are doing it.

Define "many". What, like 3-4 stories making the news of people getting cut with a knife over the past few months?

Actual crime statistics would beg to differ about slashings becoming a trend. With the millions of people that ride the transit system every day, there's bound to be some incidents, and on a large scale the frequency of those incidents has remained relatively stable. It's unfortunate, but it's inevitable. I'd love it if we lived in a society with zero murders, zero robberies, zero assaults, etc, but unfortunately, it's not realistic. There's going to be a certain small subset of humans who cause problems for the rest of us. It's just the way it is. 

Define "many". What, like 3-4 stories making the news of people getting cut with a knife over the past few months?

Actual crime statistics would beg to differ about slashings becoming a trend. With the millions of people that ride the transit system every day, there's bound to be some incidents, and on a large scale the frequency of those incidents has remained relatively stable. It's unfortunate, but it's inevitable. I'd love it if we lived in a society with zero murders, zero robberies, zero assaults, etc, but unfortunately, it's not realistic. There's going to be a certain small subset of humans who cause problems for the rest of us. It's just the way it is. 

This is normal activity. Remember, 98 percent of the crime in this city goes unnoticed by the media and thus, you don't hear about them. It's because it's happened in the transit system that notice is being taken. I wouldn't call this a "large scale" set of incidents.

Also, a world without crime? That's boring. A boring world is hell to me.

This is normal activity. Remember, 98 percent of the crime in this city goes unnoticed by the media and thus, you don't hear about them. It's because it's happened in the transit system that notice is being taken. I wouldn't call this a "large scale" set of incidents.

Also, a world without crime? That's boring. A boring world is hell to me.

Listen, maybe you're used to high crime in your neighborhood, but many of us are not, so for us it isn't "normal".   <_< If I lived in a neighborhood where shootings and stabbings were the norm, then I would think the same thing.  If this sort of thing were going on in my neighborhood, I would be extremely concerned.  I certainly am much more alert now when I wait for the express bus to get home at night, and I'm on extra high alert when using the subway.  Yes, my neighborhood is very boring, but I can walk around any time of night and feel completely safe, since we have very low crime here.  You likely can't say the same for your area.

Listen, maybe you're used to high crime in your neighborhood, but many of us are not, so for us it isn't "normal".   <_< If I lived in a neighborhood where shootings and stabbings were the norm, then I would think the same thing.  If this sort of thing were going on in my neighborhood, I would be extremely concerned.  I certainly am much more alert now when I wait for the express bus to get home at night, and I'm on extra high alert when using the subway.  Yes, my neighborhood is very boring, but I can walk around any time of night and feel completely safe, since we have very low crime here.  You likely can't say the same for your area.

First of all, you don't know me. Second of all, my info comes from the NYPD itself. And that paragraph was for the ENTIRE city.

I can walk around Coney Island at all times of the day and feel safe. Crime has gotten better thank you very much. And I think that the current generation of youth are beginning to take advantage of the new opportunities now available both in and outside of the neighborhood. Or even running of their anger at the newly built YMCA. They now have things to take up their time that wasn't available a few years ago, thus bringing up the quality of life for all of us here.

You sound like those paranoid transplants. You must not have any street smarts if you need to be on "high alert" at night.

Do me a solid and get your head outta your ass.

First of all, you don't know me. Second of all, my info comes from the NYPD itself. And that paragraph was for the ENTIRE city.

I can walk around Coney Island at all times of the day and feel safe. Crime has gotten better thank you very much. And I think that the current generation of youth are beginning to take advantage of the new opportunities now available both in and outside of the neighborhood. Or even running of their anger at the newly built YMCA. They now have things to take up their time that wasn't available a few years ago, thus bringing up the quality of life for all of us here.

You sound like those paranoid transplants. You must not have any street smarts if you need to be on "high alert" at night.

Do me a solid and get your head outta your ass.

LMAO... Coney Island should be safer with the police crawling all over the place.  Listen buddy I grew up in South Brooklyn... You didn't go past the amusement park back in the day because the place was overrun with crime, so spare me.  The only reason the area has become a tad better is because of the Russians moving in down there, but those housing projects are still a serious hot bed and will be for the foreseeable future.  I have plenty of street smarts, which is why I wouldn't be dumb enough to put myself in certain predicaments in the first place. 

Despite your claims for how safe it is down there, I don't foresee Sea Gate taking down that gated entrance anytime soon.  :lol:

LMAO... Coney Island should be safer with the police crawling all over the place. Listen buddy I grew up in South Brooklyn... You didn't go past the amusement park back in the day because the place was overrun with crime, so spare me. The only reason the area has become a tad better is because of the Russians moving in down there, but those housing projects are still a serious hot bed and will be for the foreseeable future. I have plenty of street smarts, which is why I wouldn't be dumb enough to put myself in certain predicaments in the first place.

Despite your claims for how safe it is down there, I don't foresee Sea Gate taking down that gated entrance anytime soon. :lol:

I love how you always single out the folks that live in the housing projects like they are the ones who cause all the problems. I guess since I live in one of those housing projects in Flushing means that my area is dangerous and I have a higher chance of committing a crime then a person living in a house. Like dude where is the logics in that. Always assuming that the kid from the projects will steal from you when in reality a good majority of them don't even care about what you have. It's people like you who make us feel a certain way with your constant stereotypes. Just because south Brooklyn was bad when you lived there (and it probably wasn't that bad) doesn't mean that it's bad now and LTA should know better than you because he lives there.

I love how you always single out the folks that live in the housing projects like they are the ones who cause all the problems. I guess since I live in one of those housing projects in Flushing means that my area is dangerous and I have a higher chance of committing a crime then a person living in a house. Like dude where is the logics in that. Always assuming that the kid from the projects will steal from you when in reality a good majority of them don't even care about what you have. It's people like you who make us feel a certain way with your constant stereotypes. Just because south Brooklyn was bad when you lived there (and it probably wasn't that bad) doesn't mean that it's bad now and LTA should know better than you because he lives there.

He's specifically talking about Coney Island, not South Brooklyn as a whole.

As for the rest of the stuff, same old same old out of him.

He's specifically talking about Coney Island, not South Brooklyn as a whole.

As for the rest of the stuff, same old same old out of him.

Yeah I know but he said how he grew up in South Brooklyn and LTA1992 mentioned Coney Island so I went and said South Brooklyn because that is technically not incorrect to say.

Archived