QM11 accident on FDR Drive

Joel Up Front

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/9-hurt-when-mta-bus-crashes-into-overpass-in-midtown/1255913/

MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) --

Nine people were hurt when an MTA bus crashed into an overpass in Manhattan Monday afternoon.

The crash happened just before 4:15 p.m. at 34th Street and FDR Drive in Midtown. The bus struck a pole and concrete divider.

The MTA said it was a QM11 bus that was heading north on the FDR and getting off at 34th Street. The driver claims he lost control of the bus and hit the overpass.

The FDNY confirmed nine people were injured, and three of them were taken to the hospital. Six others on the bus refused medical treatment. No one sustained life-threatening injuries.

Keep checking abc7NY for the latest on this developing story.

geez I hope everyone ok after that.

Normally when I ride express buses I ride shotgun so I could only imagine what a first person view of that horror would be like.

A b/o warned me to never sit in the first row of seats on an EXP bus. In a serious short stop, You will fly right through the windshield onto the road, since the windshield is made to pop off and not shatter if you fly into if.

The other news sites are reporting that passengers saw the B/O lose control after reaching for his water bottle and apparently missing the upcoming curve. Scary. I hope it's not one of the B/O's I know from the QM1/5/6

A b/o warned me to never sit in the first row of seats on an EXP bus. In a serious short stop, You will fly right through the windshield onto the road, since the windshield is made to pop off and not shatter if you fly into if.

I'll make a note of that.

The other news sites are reporting that passengers saw the B/O lose control after reaching for his water bottle and apparently missing the upcoming curve. Scary. I hope it's not one of the B/O's I know from the QM1/5/6

Wow its amazing what a few seconds could do, but I didn't realize that CP was doing QM11 since when were they doing that line? 

Yeah, I've always been amazed that the front row of seats is without mandatory seatbelts. The only other person up front--the B/O--is supposed to be buckled at all times. It's just as bad for a passenger if the vehicles stops fast, but there's no rule in place.

Yeah, I've always been amazed that the front row of seats is without mandatory seatbelts. The only other person up front--the B/O--is supposed to be buckled at all times. It's just as bad for a passenger if the vehicles stops fast, but there's no rule in place.

Totally agree. Frankly, all seats should have seat belts (and I think NJT started ordering MCI's or Prevosts with belts)

Agreed.

If anybody wishes to suggest it to the MTA (even though I'm sure they read these forums), you can do so here: http://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask

Archived