Rockaway Beach Rail Line Study Will Move Forward, MTA Says

it needs to be done TO HELL WITH THOSE QUEENSWAY CLOWNS! supposedly i'm hearing that those clowns wanted the whole ind Rockaway branch shut down and the lirr mainline shut down and turned into a trailway because it violates quality of life etc

and supposedly im hearing these queensway clowns wasted money

https://twitter.com/YPGoldfeder/status/717760955837521920

it needs to be done TO HELL WITH THOSE QUEENSWAY CLOWNS! supposedly i'm hearing that those clowns wanted the whole ind Rockaway branch shut down and the lirr mainline shut down and turned into a trailway because it violates quality of life etc

and supposedly im hearing these queensway clowns wasted money

https://twitter.com/YPGoldfeder/status/717760955837521920

Well of course:

The people who wanted Queensway in my view were using "quality of life" to mean they didn't want people who were "not their kind" coming into their neighborhoods via a re-activated RBL.  Many of those people likely still think of the subways as they were in the 1970's and early '80s when they were crime-ridden and spewed with graffiti in many instances during a time that was MUCH different in NYC than it is now (or in many cases, those who live there now who had parents who were victims of crime in the subways in the 1970's and '80s who refuse to understand how different that time was and still think of NYC as it was back then).  Even then, the subways were not nearly as bad as some of those types made it (and in many cases likely still make it) out to be.  

I can kind of understand the desire to convert the abandoned ROW into a park, even though it will never see the crowds the High Line currently does. However, anything else, like the supposed abandonment of the active ROW, is ludicrous and laughable and should be ignored for the nonsense that it is.

As for the reactivation of the line, let's see where it goes. Let's face it; we've gone through this song and dance before with little to show for it.

You never know, that's what everyone said when they started SAS phase one.

To be fair, that precedent just means it will take nearly 12 years till we see something at the end of this study (planning for SAS and Phase I lasted from 1995-2007).

The best opportunity to restore service on that line has come and gone, years ago, with the decision by the Port Authority to build the Airtrain....

A much better alternative would have been to have relatively high-speed LIRR 'one-seat-ride' service from Penn Station to JFK.   The Airtrain should have just circled the various terminals at it currently does and go only to the Howard Beach subway station, at no charge, replacing the original 'Train-to-the-plane' shuttle bus....

The best opportunity to restore service on that line has come and gone, years ago, with the decision by the Port Authority to build the Airtrain....

A much better alternative would have been to have relatively high-speed LIRR 'one-seat-ride' service from Penn Station to JFK.   The Airtrain should have just circled the various terminals at it currently does and go only to the Howard Beach subway station, at no charge, replacing the original 'Train-to-the-plane' shuttle bus....

The implementation of this idea was politically dead on arrival and also a giant white elephant. At best neighbors to the rail line are lukewarm to the proposal; they would probably be dead against it if there were no intermediate stop service on the rail line (and if it was funded with PANYNJ money from the airports, that would've been the case due to federal law.) It also does not help that such a train service would

1. be poorly utilized. See Toronto's UP Express as to why airport-exclusive services are a bad thing.
  2. have to run very short cars. JFK AirTrain is actually perfect for the airport the way it is set up; due to the airport layout having a full LIRR or full subway train stop at every terminal would be impractical, and running trains short enough to every terminal would not have sufficed for a fully-fledged subway with intermediate stops serving commuters to Manhattan.

I know theoretically the north end of the line will connect to the Queens Boulevard line, but how could you connect it effectively? After Rego Park? Would it only be served by QBL locals then? If so, it will surely open up spots at Forest Hills. But then doesn't that defeat the purpose of being able to have an express train to JFK?

Will they create transfers to the Jamaica and Fulton lines? Both would need station restructuring/relocation to make them work well.

I know theoretically the north end of the line will connect to the Queens Boulevard line, but how could you connect it effectively? After Rego Park? Would it only be served by QBL locals then? If so, it will surely open up spots at Forest Hills. But then doesn't that defeat the purpose of being able to have an express train to JFK?

Will they create transfers to the Jamaica and Fulton lines? Both would need station restructuring/relocation to make them work well.

The point is specifically not to serve the airport with an express train. Want an express ride to JFK? Get from Penn to Jamaica on the LIRR in 20 minutes.

The point is specifically not to serve the airport with an express train. Want an express ride to JFK? Get from Penn to Jamaica on the LIRR in 20 minutes.

This. It never ceases to amaze me that so many New York commuters and railfans overlook that the LIRR is the Manhattan to JFK express train. It's also faster, even with the AirTrain connection, than the (JFK) Train to the Plane ever was. It always looks to me that many railfans get worked up and their inner Lionel takes over and they want to build connections wherever an interlocking can be constructed. Meanwhile NYCT is constantly removing switches and interlockings " because of the cost to maintain them" and the (MTA) ,by way of the LIRR, has been gradually eliminating railroad service within the city limits over the last 40-50 years. That 20 minute Penn or Atlantic Center to Jamaica run is one of the few good deals out there. Just my opinion though. Carry on

This. It never ceases to amaze me that so many New York commuters and railfans overlook that the LIRR is the Manhattan to JFK express train. It's also faster, even with the AirTrain connection, than the (JFK) Train to the Plane ever was. It always looks to me that many railfans get worked up and their inner Lionel takes over and they want to build connections wherever an interlocking can be constructed. Meanwhile NYCT is constantly removing switches and interlockings " because of the cost to maintain them" and the (MTA) ,by way of the LIRR, has been gradually eliminating railroad service within the city limits over the last 40-50 years. That 20 minute Penn or Atlantic Center to Jamaica run is one of the few good deals out there. Just my opinion though. Carry on

Thanks for the input. Sometimes thoughts of the cost benefit of staying in the system overshadows how much quicker LIRR can be.

Archived