ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Keep in mind, schoolcar's goal is not to fail you. They want and need you to pass. Very few fail the exams/practical. Just gotta make sure you spend the time to study and don't be afraid to ask any questions. They're not paying you $36 an hour during training only for you to flunk a few months in.

Understand!!  I want the job. It's going to be a HUGE change for me coming from office work but sometimes change is good. thanks again.

3 hours ago, STtoMTA said:

Are you above 4010? Don’t need exact number and did they say what class you’re considered for?

that will depend on the answer to your next medical / drug test question 

Looks like another class is on the horizon I'm list 36Xx did pre employment last week

On 4/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, SevenEleven said:

@Jericho : @trackerjack won’t be on sick control just because of the <50% sick time. It’s an absence with proof given. You only get bagged for sick control with 6 unsubstantiated absences or any two patterned absences. All that’s going to happen is that he’s going to have his probation extended 4 days  

trackerjack is also already on the 30% because he’s a new employee. You don’t get an official 70/30 designation until you have 3 years on the job. 

What exactly is sick control? Is that an absence with no dr note? I'm in a union job now where we can call out up to 3 days straight with no note required. Also I'm assuming if you call out sick when you're new that you don't get paid?

8 hours ago, STtoMTA said:

Usually They tell you. That probs means they’re getting ready for the one just after April 11th 

I went March 25th for pre-employment. They told me they don't know when the next class will be but chances are I'll have to do another pre-employment.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:16 AM, Jericho said:

1. Yes. 2. You will be put on sick control as it's 70/30. As long as you submit doctor's lines you should be fine. For the sake of an official and accurate answer, please refer questions like this to a union rep. 

In fact for anyone who are already in schoolcar/graduated and have questions about the job, please talk to a union rep.

As someone working XX, you will be sent anywhere at any time. In a given week for example, you may find yourself working the A at 4AM out of 207 Yard on the first day of your week. Second day, they can put you in a D job at 430AM out of Coney Island. Third day, at 530AM you can be sent to the E at Jamaica Center. Etc, etc, etc. They start you early in your week and late at the end so your "weekend" can be cut short. The hours will vary for each job depending on what it entails. Some jobs do clear at other locations. And as mentioned before, they may change your tour and/or RDOs on a weekly basis, 

When you are on XX can they force you to take an extra shift? If the second day you start at 430 but they make you stay an extra shift so you leave 830 would they push your third day hours back?

2 hours ago, thegameksk said:

When you are on XX can they force you to take an extra shift? If the second day you start at 430 but they make you stay an extra shift so you leave 830 would they push your third day hours back?

Generally not anymore. If it's after your clearing time, the train dispatcher can ask whether you want to make an extra move or trip or not, but they can't force you to do it. However, if your train is late on your last interval, you are still responsible for it and they can order you to help clean out and/or lay-up the train. If you're rerouted to a foreign terminal, you have to stay with the train unless the dispatcher says otherwise.

3 hours ago, thegameksk said:

What exactly is sick control? Is that an absence with no dr note? I'm in a union job now where we can call out up to 3 days straight with no note required. Also I'm assuming if you call out sick when you're new that you don't get paid?

SevenEleven basically answered your question, but pretty much you can no longer keep calling out sick without doctor's lines

"An employee who is placed on the Sick Leave Control List must provide medical documentation for all sick leave absences including unpaid absences, regardless of duration. Failure to do so will be cause for loss of pay, if the employee would be normally entitled to same, and may be cause for disciplinary action. Employees hired on or after April 29, 1988 who at any time are on the Sick Leave Control List will not be granted sick leave with pay for the first (1st) day of any sick leave instances  while on such list"

The first day you call out sick, you won't get paid for it.

13 hours ago, Shelly0114 said:

Understand!!  I want the job. It's going to be a HUGE change for me coming from office work but sometimes change is good. thanks again.

I went from call centre work to train operator. It's definitely a big change, but some of the personalities are still the same as my old job. I've met former teachers, engineers, laywers, marketing types, and banking office employees down here so you wouldn't be alone in making this transition. Schoolcar is essentially an intensive summer school class or a bootcamp depending on your perspective. In my class, 9 out of 10 of us made it, with the 1 person that didn't make it doing so for non-exam reasons. Our sister class had similar numbers as well.

9 hours ago, thegameksk said:

Like an extra shift on your RDO or an extra shift on the day you're already worked? From my understanding when you 're xx you can be on the board (waiting to get a job) for 7 hours and they can give you a full 8 hours job at that point. If after the 8 hours you don't feel you can do the whole job you can tell them and it wouldn't count against you since you have already worked the 8 hours, but the crew office might remember...

Edited by FilippoSironi

On 4/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, beanz said:

The reason u get different answers is because it depends where u land on the totem pole. Some people are lucky like the February 2021 class and land pretty high on the xx list. One of my classmates has midnights with sat sun off which is what he wanted. They were lucky they landed in B division which was extremely short of people. If you end up coming in while transit is short like they did, naturally u will end up higher on the extra extra list and have a little more consistency. 

Its a different story for those getting hired now. There are already a good fifty to a hundred people in front of you in each division on the extra extra list because of the hiring frenzy. You won't be switching tours or RDOs every week, but it can happen. The inconsistency comes in start and end times. You might stay PMs for as long as you are XX and you might even have preferred it, but PM jobs start anywhere from 12pm to 6pm and that's only because they have eliminated 8pm board time which was just mean spirited. 

The job starts out tough but it def gets better. Just have to really ask yourself if it's worth it. 

Pms jobs start from 12 pm to 6 pm now? I thought it was 12pm to 9:59 pm

1 hour ago, HChamberlain said:

Hello All

List# 328*

just got called back for second appointment on 4/12. Does anyone have any additional information about the blood pressure requirements? Long story short i am on meds to control other issues causing high bd but would this still be subject to disqualification?

They called you today?

1 hour ago, HChamberlain said:

Hello All

List# 328*

just got called back for second appointment on 4/12. Does anyone have any additional information about the blood pressure requirements? Long story short i am on meds to control other issues causing high bd but would this still be subject to disqualification?

No just bring a doctor's note stating why you're taking meds and that it will not cause problems with you're duties as a t/o if not they might put you on medical hold but definitely not DQ you

18 hours ago, ashleys said:

Anyone made it through preemployment without their vaxx card? Also, does anyone know the pay scale? I know we start at 36 but what's the max pay?  My # 37xx Thanks 

Get the covid safe app plus he allowed me to use that

6 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

Pms jobs start from 12 pm to 6 pm now? I thought it was 12pm to 9:59 pm

I wish they had later PM jobs that started at 8 or 9 but none of the jobs I've seen go past 6pm start time on the PMs. At least not on the lines i look. Would work out great for me if PMs went that late.

23 minutes ago, beanz said:

I wish they had later PM jobs that started at 8 or 9 but none of the jobs I've seen go past 6pm start time on the PMs. At least not on the lines i look. Would work out great for me if PMs went that late.

That's true even posting and YX all the PM jobs I got were 6 PM at the latest. I guess they just say PM jobs go until 2159 but they don't really  have any past 1800

4 hours ago, beanz said:

Noo thanks lol Keep that away from the PM tour.

In the end, past 2000 like the test train jobs and onward are really the realm of the midnight tour. 2000 board and was just a ridiculous way to get PM T/O to pick up midnight jobs when they should just make more midnight board jobs. The latest PM job in the B starts 1900 which is a switching job at MET and I believe one that starts at 1910, but forgot where.

Edited by Jericho

29 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Noo thanks lol Keep that away from the PM tour.

In the end, past 2000 like the test train jobs and onward are really the realm of the midnight tour. 2000 board and was just a ridiculous way to get PM T/O to pick up midnight jobs when they should just make more midnight board jobs. The latest PM job in the B starts 1900 which is a switching job at MET and I believe one that starts at 1910, but forgot where.

I feel u...for me personally it would work great to do some 9pm to 5am type of tours so i can take my kid to school, sleep while she's there and then pick her up and hang out before going in to work. Other than that i don't want part of PMs at all lol.