ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

42 minutes ago, TCart said:

@456ontheLex I did nothing but focus on the things I had in front of me in life and my current job. I went for P/E now I’m still doing da same thing I was doing before I received da email cause I know it’s something I can’t control. I can’t stress things I can’t control. I’ll leave it to MTA and the man above. If it’s meant to be it will be that’s how I look at everything in life. Ur in the 6000’s keep hope and faith. I believe they will get that high personally I do. This list is moving fast and I don’t think they will stop contacting people anytime soon at least until September or October and even than they might still need hundreds of people. 

That’s contentment 101 right there enjoying more or little that you have in front of you…ever wonder how the poor can be so happy & the rich can be so miserable should be opposite right ? Nah it’s deeper than what you can buy or easily attain…I’m happy for you tho stay focus & out of trouble on & off the job 

and of course they’ll get to my list number not worried about that at all 

last T/O exam they hired way passed my list number they reached like the 9,000 maybe even to 10,000 and that was because of the recession…I don’t know which hiring freeze was worst….recession or Covid but i think Covid was worst because of the after effects on the economy & ppl livelihood they both punched & landed but it’s all how we recover 

but yea the way they are aggressively hiring 6000s feel like can be reached in a few weeks definitely not stressing them like I said they need us 

believe it or not….not everyone wants to work for MTA & ppl definitely took other exams and didn’t wait & took on different careers & paths…especially when Covid hit….so sometimes list numbers is not even worth looking at or caring for cuz it’s all out of place 

even though I’m already on the job I can’t stand the position I’m at anymore….not the worst but not the best…it’s a job….want to get to the front as much as every one on this forum does……but I know being in the front is a HUGH responsibility that’s why I’m not sweating it…if I get it I get it if I don’t I don’t…..only thing can really stop me is if I don’t want to give up my cushion seniority with my RDOs and start from the bottom but I don’t really mind losing to gain….change is always good 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have issues getting their name added back to the list? I cleared my medical hold on 6/16 but the 6/20 class was full.  I was told to send an email to put my name back on the list.  I emailed on 6/16 and as of now no response. I just want to know that they actually put my name back on the list.

10 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Anyone have issues getting their name added back to the list? I cleared my medical hold on 6/16 but the 6/20 class was full.  I was told to send an email to put my name back on the list.  I emailed on 6/16 and as of now no response. I just want to know that they actually put my name back on the list.

Look for a letter to come in the mail in the coming days.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:39 AM, Jericho said:

Another thing I would add is the health insurance is a hell of a lot better than what you'd get in the private sector. You can looked at the plans marked with TWU on the Aetna website. You'll be selecting which plan you'll want when you get to schoolcar. Though the dental and vision plan does could definitely be better.

Is there a way to find out how much the weekly/monthly cost is for the various plans? I don't see it on the web site.

1 hour ago, thegameksk said:

Is there a way to find out how much the weekly/monthly cost is for the various plans? I don't see it on the web site.

So only one option has a payroll deduction if I’m not mistaken. The others don’t. When you get your new hire info it will all be in there for specifics but it’s cheap per bi-weekly pay period. 

For those concerned about TA getting to  you don't worry as another poster said they will get through this list..

Im hearing  some folks are just leaving  because "they want to have a life"..

I guess making close to 40 bucks a hour don't appeal to some of them..

I'm sure there's plenty of jobs in the service industry just waiting for them since they want a life..

3 hours ago, trackerjack said:

are we really?  everytime i see the crew rooms filled to the brim. seems popping to me

i guarantee it. There's upcoming promotion exams for dispatcher and supervisor so a lot of train ops will be moving up.

5 hours ago, RTOMan said:

For those concerned about TA getting to  you don't worry as another poster said they will get through this list..

I'm sure there's plenty of jobs in the service industry just waiting for them since they want a life..

Imagine being able to walk away from a $40 an hour job so you can have a life. Wish I could do that in this economy.

45 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

Imagine being able to walk away from a $40 an hour job so you can have a life. Wish I could do that in this economy.

For some people, work life balance and family time trump money. That’s why we always say this job isn’t for everyone. 

1 hour ago, dincena said:

Are you forced to work extra hours weekly?

Do you guys not have your 2 RDOs every week? 

2 guaranteed RDO’s a week, but as XX you will end up working more than 40 hours a week more often than not. I think the most I had during XX was something like 70-ish hours for one week. All those hours I worked was not optional OT. It was board time + long jobs overall.

I definitely had no social life the first year & a half.

30 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

2 guaranteed RDO’s a week, but as XX you will end up working more than 40 hours a week more often than not. I think the most I had during XX was something like 70-ish hours for one week. All those hours I worked was not optional OT. It was board time + long jobs overall.

If those long jobs go over your 8 hours, it doesn't count as OT? 

35 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Thanks for that info. With 2 young children and this crazy inflation, I'm definitely willing to make the sacrifice!

1 hour ago, dincena said:

Thanks for that info. With 2 young children and this crazy inflation, I'm definitely willing to make the sacrifice!

it's not really 2 RDOs.   for example  the past 2 weeks pay period i was on board and then they gave me a full job on top of that the road blew up so i was stuck there for an extra 2 hours per day, for most days of the week.  so you go home......and all you do is sleep then go back to work the next day.  forget having play time with your kids or significant other.

on top of THAT..... the day before your RDO......they will most likely start you "late" meaning.....you leave work.....pretty late cutting into your first day RDO.......and then they put on "early" on the day after your RDO, which means again, cuts short into your RDO

i'm sorry i'm not the best explainer of things.  i hope you get what i mean.  and yes when you read it, it doesn't  sound too bad......but trust me it is.......especially if you have kids who don't want to sleep or wake you up constantly - it is very tough since you really really really need your rest.  but the most heartbreaking thing is you won't even be home and when you're home, you are sleeping.

it's food for thought and it shouldn't be taken lightly in my opinion

Edited by trackerjack
addition

3 hours ago, mimic101 said:

Overtime is calculated by the minute on a daily basis.

So if you work 9 hours in the day, you’ll get paid for 9 + .5 hours.

5 hours ago, mimic101 said:

What he meant is that there will be times when you will not go home at your clearing time.

7 hours ago, mimic101 said:

For the new hires, do we have capped Over Time hours?  I'm pretty sure we do... but I don't know what the cap is. 

Train crews cannot work for more than 16 hours though usually you wouldn't be allowed to work past your 14th hour in a day. You can work six days a week. They will not let you string a couple weeks worth of days in a row together.

Also keep in mind with the Tier 6 pension, there is an overtime cap when contributions will stop for the year.

Edited by Jericho

7 hours ago, trackerjack said:

on top of THAT..... the day before your RDO......they will most likely start you "late" meaning.....you leave work.....pretty late cutting into your first day RDO.......and then they put on "early" on the day after your RDO, which means again, cuts short into your RDO

This is exactly what my TSS told me when I asked him about how scheduling works.  You basically get very little time off and when you do get time off, it is spent sleeping.  He said it's a "pay your dues" type situation.

7 hours ago, trackerjack said:

it's not really 2 RDOs.   for example  the past 2 weeks pay period i was on board and then they gave me a full job on top of that the road blew up so i was stuck there for an extra 2 hours per day, for most days of the week.  so you go home......and all you do is sleep then go back to work the next day.  forget having play time with your kids or significant other.

i'm sorry i'm not the best explainer of things.  i hope you get what i mean.  and yes when you read it, it doesn't  sound too bad......but trust me it is.......especially if you have kids who don't want to sleep or wake you up constantly - it is very tough since you really really really need your rest.  but the most heartbreaking thing is you won't even be home and when you're home, you are sleeping.

You explained it really well!  What people need to understand is that all the time you miss with your kids and significant other, you DO NOT get that time back.  Missed graduations, birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas celebrations.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  You can always say "Oh I'll be there next year" or "Don't worry, next year will be different".  The reality is, it probably won't be and you're lying to your self.  The scheduling in this job is BRUTAL if you have kids and a family.  It's not until your third year that you even get 4 weeks off and will absolutely not get the ideal pick for vacation time. 

This is why when other posters say:

19 hours ago, RTOMan said:

It's like there are quite a few reasons to walk away from a job like this that pays $40 an hour.  If you're single and not married, it's probably easier to do, but married with kids? It's ROUGH and you'll have to seriously think about the sacrifices that you're making because like I said before, you DO NOT get the time back.  Think about that very carefully because transit will eat your life away. 

You have to think of the long term benefits. Yes being xx is very rough, especially having a family. I have a special needs daughter and now a newborn and i was forced into PMs this pick, leaving my wife alone to fend for herself at night while I'm working. She understands it's a sacrifice and in a few more years I'll be able to pick a better schedule and we might be living in a house instead of this tiny apartment we in now.

No situation is going to be perfect right off the bat. Before this i had a 9 to 5 office job with weekends off that worked great for family life, but the pay was such that we could never even think about a home. What i made there in a whole year i make here in 6 months. 

So just have to talk it over with the loved one and see if it's a sacrifice you are both willing to make for the long term benefits.

8 hours ago, trackerjack said:

My partner is in the MTA and yes it was a bit rough in the beginning but I knew what we were signing up for. It’s not all bad. You just have to know how to manage your time. I work as well and we have two kids and he still takes time to engage with his children. 

6 hours ago, beanz said:

You have to think of the long term benefits. Yes being xx is very rough, especially having a family. I have a special needs daughter and now a newborn and i was forced into PMs this pick, leaving my wife alone to fend for herself at night while I'm working. She understands it's a sacrifice and in a few more years I'll be able to pick a better schedule and we might be living in a house instead of this tiny apartment we in now.

No situation is going to be perfect right off the bat. Before this i had a 9 to 5 office job with weekends off that worked great for family life, but the pay was such that we could never even think about a home. What i made there in a whole year i make here in 6 months. 

So just have to talk it over with the loved one and see if it's a sacrifice you are both willing to make for the long term benefits.

Does it get better/easier once you build some seniority and are no longer XX?

2 minutes ago, dincena said:

It gets better as XX before it gets shitty again with your first picked job. As u move up in XX, the crew office starts to honor your preference sheet and u get the tour and days off u want. I know some xx ppl with weekends off this pick, but those same people will have no choice but the bottom of the barrel after this pick because they will move up enough to pick jobs. Then it's all about luck. 

16 hours ago, dincena said:

and this crazy inflation, I'm definitely willing to make the sacri

38 minutes ago, dincena said:

Definitely gets better, after XX you're on the XL. Main difference is when your on XL, you'll finally be able to pick jobs (Whatever that's available and based on your seniority). XX basically you only know your schedule for the next 48 hours.