ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been said before but i hope all of u coming in have your expectations of the job set correctly. There's been a lot of talk of new people quitting deep into training or after they complete it.

XX life is tough, especially if you have little kids, but remember that the sacrifice is FOR them and for yourself. Just push through and before you know it you'll have some stability. You just have to find your niche and what works for you and the job can be a great job.

Training is tough but very doable. Being extra extra is tougher but also doable if your head is in the right place. Remember that nothing great comes easy. Time moves on regardless and in 5 years do u want to be saying "man i wish i had stayed at that transit job" or do u want to be saying "I'm so glad i stayed". 

I sent an email to NYCT EMPLOYMENT CENTER. So far the last number they appointed so far is 4258, and so far they canvassed up to 4887. The list is scheduled to expire next year September, giving a date of 9/19/2023, incase this information puts some people at ease for the moment. My list number is in the 51XX. So continue to have faith guys. There’s still a chance. 

3 hours ago, Amonroe90 said:

I sent an email to NYCT EMPLOYMENT CENTER. So far the last number they appointed so far is 4258, and so far they canvassed up to 4887. The list is scheduled to expire next year September, giving a date of 9/19/2023, incase this information puts some people at ease for the moment. My list number is in the 51XX. So continue to have faith guys. There’s still a chance. 

Where did you hear  that the list expires 2023? Im seeing the list expires 9/19/2022

17 minutes ago, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Where did you hear  that the list expires 2023? Im seeing the list expires 9/19/2022

This information came from NYCT employment center. I personally sent them an email at Employmentcenter@nyct.com, trying to figure out where exactly they are with the list number today

8 minutes ago, Ovopassion said:

Can anybody help me with a number to call I went for pre employment 4/19 and I have not received an email since then .I really want this job .Don’t wanna loose this opportunity .

This is number for Ms. Olha i had some trouble in the beginning and she helped me out by giving me a date to come back in to return documents 347 643 8217. She didn’t answer the first few times i didn’t leave a message just kept calling back i think i got through around 10 am

16 hours ago, beanz said:

It's been said before but i hope all of u coming in have your expectations of the job set correctly. There's been a lot of talk of new people quitting deep into training or after they complete it.

XX life is tough, especially if you have little kids, but remember that the sacrifice is FOR them and for yourself. Just push through and before you know it you'll have some stability. You just have to find your niche and what works for you and the job can be a great job.

Training is tough but very doable. Being extra extra is tougher but also doable if your head is in the right place. Remember that nothing great comes easy. Time moves on regardless and in 5 years do u want to be saying "man i wish i had stayed at that transit job" or do u want to be saying "I'm so glad i stayed". 

how many "niches" are out there on the road?  (i hope i dont have to bribe folks at the crew office? LOL)   im curious cuz it's VERY brutal.  and yes...so much confirmed reports of TOs quitting after graudation and even an entire class quit on the spot.  anyways....would love to know some 'secret niches' being an XX.   i'm all ears!

Wish ppl stop wasting other ppls times and opportunity for this job, for those that actually want the job and those getting called and leaving. Bad enough transit takes a sh!t long time to contact you, This is not a cake walk 9 -5 ,, ya be all over the place with no time for personal time unless you become a senior  senior employee. TRY LIRR or Metro North all ya be crying , Rto subways is cake. Stop wasting people's time for those that are dedicated and willing to do the job. 

13 minutes ago, Newyork4 said:

Wish ppl stop wasting other ppls times and opportunity for this job, for those that actually want the job and those getting called and leaving. Bad enough transit takes a sh!t long time to contact you, This is not a cake walk 9 -5 ,, ya be all over the place with no time for personal time unless you become a senior  senior employee. TRY LIRR or Metro North all ya be crying , Rto subways is cake. Stop wasting people's time for those that are dedicated and willing to do the job. 

Lol I understand your frustration but you can’t technically be mad at folks. They paid their money to take the test, passed and took the opportunity. The real issue is the actual job! There’s no reason really for people to be actually quitting once they go through school car except for the environment, culture, other employees down here. Me personally I wouldn’t do all the training and quit, but I can’t speak on other people’s situations and mindsets. It’s so much that can be changed, but this attitude of “we went through it so you have to go through” is just plain dumb! It’s 2022 there are so many tools and ways to make the job easier for both crews and crew office. However, when you have situations like dispatchers in the crew office yelling at employees for calling for a late clear because they’re too lazy to check, they tell you there aren’t any jobs ask the terminal dispatcher, smh. Then this XX crap is just stupid, putting someone close to home to get enough sleep is a no brainer, especially when you have others who literally live on that side that can literally swap with that person you’re trying to punish, it’s clearly done on purpose! Then their fake fall back excuse is “you’re XX it’s to help you learn the system” lmao yeah ok.

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

how many "niches" are out there on the road?  (i hope i dont have to bribe folks at the crew office? LOL)   im curious cuz it's VERY brutal.  and yes...so much confirmed reports of TOs quitting after graudation and even an entire class quit on the spot.  anyways....would love to know some 'secret niches' being an XX.   i'm all ears!

I should have said once you have some stability u just have to find your niche. 

As for xx, bidding is always the best route. I saw lots of very high numbers just won some jobs on the latest vacancy awards. Also, if u are into overtime and call for it a lot, the crew office can get an idea of what u like and i have heard of people that get hooked up with the same stuff they prefer for OT. I know someone very new who has made it work for himself on the midnights because he's always calling for overtime on his RDOs close to home on certain lines and after a while they just started keeping him on those lines daily. Again, not guaranteed to help you but it has helped others.

Edited by beanz

12 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Lol I understand your frustration but you can’t technically be mad at folks. They paid their money to take the test, passed and took the opportunity. The real issue is the actual job! There’s no reason really for people to be actually quitting once they go through school car except for the environment, culture, other employees down here. Me personally I wouldn’t do all the training and quit, but I can’t speak on other people’s situations and mindsets. It’s so much that can be changed, but this attitude of “we went through it so you have to go through” is just plain dumb! It’s 2022 there are so many tools and ways to make the job easier for both crews and crew office. However, when you have situations like dispatchers in the crew office yelling at employees for calling for a late clear because they’re too lazy to check, they tell you there aren’t any jobs ask the terminal dispatcher, smh. Then this XX crap is just stupid, putting someone close to home to get enough sleep is a no brainer, especially when you have others who literally live on that side that can literally swap with that person you’re trying to punish, it’s clearly done on purpose! Then their fake fall back excuse is “you’re XX it’s to help you learn the system” lmao yeah ok.

I agree, it sucks the way the crew office f**ks with people. With all the technology we have there's no excuse. Lately it seems to have gotten worse, but that's due to the crew office also having a lot of new people working. Some of them not even from rto. If i had a say I'd overhaul the shit out of it.

The union needs to do more too. It's very overlooked and brushed off as "we all went through it" but until they realize this is a problem, transit is going to continue to have a problem keeping people, especially conductors. The money TOs make can be enough to make some hold on longer but conductors start so low that XX life is that much harder to take.

Edited by beanz

1 hour ago, trackerjack said:

Hopefully you won something on the second vacancy bid...

@Albertbklyn print out the application fill it out to the best of your knowledge bring it in with you as well as the documents listed in the email. You will get there go to the 5th floor get on line get to the window they will ask for your documents and the application. You will have a seat and they will call you back if any mistakes on your application. If everything is ok you will sit and wait to take your drug test. Could be there all day bring snacks. 

22 hours ago, beanz said:

You said the right words "Head in the right place"..

I do tell folks "If you can find something better then don't waste TAs and YOURS time"...

Yet also some of my coworkers and supervisors also need to understand how to talk with new folks as well, they aren't kids they are adults.

Folks need to do what's best for them but some come down here expecting the world to go their way and when it don't, they in these Facebook groups complaining..

Its a good job but yes it like all jobs has it drawbacks got to find a niche and go with it..

Edited by RTOMan