Renderings reveal ‘reimagined’ NYC subway cars, stations

Food scraps may not be an issue, but you've severely overstated how clean the stations are.

Well, compared to New York, it's beautiful. A few hours to let the dust settle can do wonders. I'm certainly not advocating ending 24/7 service in New York.

Well, compared to New York, it's beautiful. A few hours to let the dust settle can do wonders. I'm certainly not advocating ending 24/7 service in New York.

That would be impossible to do anyway.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

That would be impossible to do anyway.

They already do it to a degree with Fast Track program, so it isn't that wild of an idea.  Aside from that the endless weekend work combined with overnight shut downs of various stations seems to be leading to an overnight shutdown unofficially.  If anything, Fast Track should simply be expanded.  The one thing that I do find REALLY annoying though is how long trips now take on weekends and other off-peak times when trips should be faster.  The trains just CRAWL for no apparent reason.  It took me almost two hours Saturday to go from around the Upper East Side to Sheepshead Bay via the subway.  Ridiculous. 

That doesn't even remotely count and you know it. The trains are, in most cases, diverted to nearby lines. So people can still make it to their destinations. Redundancy.

To expand fastrak and to even co sider the shutting down or lines at night is just plain lunacy. Not only will that GREATLY lengthen the amount of time travelled during late night hours, but he nighttime economy will suffer as well.

That doesn't even remotely count and you know it. The trains are, in most cases, diverted to nearby lines. So people can still make it to their destinations. Redundancy.

To expand fastrak and to even co sider the shutting down or lines at night is just plain lunacy. Not only will that GREATLY lengthen the amount of time travelled during late night hours, but he nighttime economy will suffer as well.

They're already doing it on weekends, when they admit that more and more people are traveling, so there really isn't a difference.  It's not like people don't work on weekends or have places to go.  Anytime I use the subway on weekends, I ALWAYS check the status section, and there hasn't been a weekend where something hasn't been going on.  The work has to be done and it already takes long enough to get around anyway so they might as well expand it.

Perhaps they could do two or even three corridors simultaneously with FASTRACK. Different sets of service outages would need to be figured out to maximize the accessibility of alternatives. Certain combinations of FASTRACK closures would be avoided. For example: a (1)(2)(3) closure would never happen simultaneously with an (A)(C)(E) closure, but a (1)(2)(3) closure with a (B)(D)(F)(M) closure is acceptable.

The different configurations of FASTRACK could be a myriad of what-if scenarios…

The problem with trying to work multiple FASTRACK shutdowns is compensating for that loss of service, which is why these shutdowns are localized to one area at a time. Trying to work concurrent FASTRACK-style shutdowns throughout the subway would require more service on the adjacent lines and/or a large shuttle bus component in order to offer some semblance of service. Even your suggestion of closing both the 6th and 7th Avenue lines simultaneously would cause a massive disaster by forcing all riders to the Broadway, 8th Avenue or Lexington Ave lines for subway service or with the guaranteed requirement of having some kind of shuttle bus service running along the two affected avenues. Even in the late evening and overnight hours, there is a considerable amount of riders on both trunk lines and closing them both at once will not be beneficial to anyone.

They're already doing it on weekends, when they admit that more and more people are traveling, so there really isn't a difference.  It's not like people don't work on weekends or have places to go.  Anytime I use the subway on weekends, I ALWAYS check the status section, and there hasn't been a weekend where something hasn't been going on.  The work has to be done and it already takes long enough to get around anyway so they might as well expand it.

I don't know why you expected this to be different, but there will likely always be some kind of weekend construction, even if ridership is increasing during this period. There simply isn't any other time to work on maintenance. Late night hours do not offer the amount of time required to do anything substantial and despite the uptick in weekend ridership, the fact remains that more people ride the subway on weekdays than they do on weekends. And before this get attributed to the age and condition of the subway, WMATA does the exact same thing despite being one of the youngest subway systems in the nation.

The problem with trying to work multiple FASTRACK shutdowns is compensating for that loss of service, which is why these shutdowns are localized to one area at a time. Trying to work concurrent FASTRACK-style shutdowns throughout the subway would require more service on the adjacent lines and/or a large shuttle bus component in order to offer some semblance of service. Even your suggestion of closing both the 6th and 7th Avenue lines simultaneously would cause a massive disaster by forcing all riders to the Broadway, 8th Avenue or Lexington Ave lines for subway service or with the guaranteed requirement of having some kind of shuttle bus service running along the two affected avenues. Even in the late evening and overnight hours, there is a considerable amount of riders on both trunk lines and closing them both at once will not be beneficial to anyone.

I don't know why you expected this to be different, but there will likely always be some kind of weekend construction, even if ridership is increasing during this period. There simply isn't any other time to work on maintenance. Late night hours do not offer the amount of time required to do anything substantial and despite the uptick in weekend ridership, the fact remains that more people ride the subway on weekdays than they do on weekends. And before this get attributed to the age and condition of the subway, WMATA does the exact same thing despite being one of the youngest subway systems in the nation.

I think you need to re-read what I wrote.  I NEVER suggested closing both 6th and 7th Avenue or ANYTHING specific.  All I said was that they might as well do more Fast Track.  The (MTA) I'm sure knows what is feasible and what isn't.

Regarding weekend service, the point was they're already inconveniencing people who do work on weekends.  They've had a stance of trying to minimize the work outside of rush hour, but the problem is people are riding at all hours, so my point was it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of inconveniencing people given how many people are already on weekends and off-peak periods.

I completely agree with the idiocy in removing all of the trash cans. That'll just make people litter more. You can ban food/drink altogether like Washington, but that would get a lot of pushback, as DC had their ban from the beginning and having a drink is quite nice on a hot day when the stations are a million degrees and the car's A/C unit craps out. If anything, add more trash cans and recycling bins. Put reverse vending machines on the platforms so people can get their 5 cent refund on the spot. Let people apply the bottle refunds to their MetroCard balance. Watch how quickly recyclables disappear from stations if that happened.

That's a good idea. I'd like to add a reverse MetroCard feeder to give people bonuses for recycling temporary or expired MetroCards. It would be a good way to monetize and reward people for picking up the trash in a way that pays off.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

That's precisely the problem... <_<

The problem is that people here in NYC try to excuse how dirty they are by saying well they should clean more often. Meanwhile they make a mess everywhere and expect someone to come behind them and clean up. What irks me even more are the people that eat on the subway but will then drop their crap on the floor and then leave it there. So it's okay for you to eat on the subway, but it's too dirty to clean up the crap you left on the floor... lol That said though, the (MTA) should definitely be cleaning more... Even with the slobs around, the situation gets out of control because of how little cleaning takes place.

The problem is that people here in NYC try to excuse how dirty they are by saying well they should clean more often. Meanwhile they make a mess everywhere and expect someone to come behind them and clean up. What irks me even more are the people that eat on the subway but will then drop their crap on the floor and then leave it there. So it's okay for you to eat on the subway, but it's too dirty to clean up the crap you left on the floor... lol

I was on an (N) train with a bunch of Chinese food spilled all around. I took out my wipes and cleaned the seat so I could sit down since no one else did. It's rather irksome to see a city make messes and be afraid of them. Weird.

I eat on the subway too but I carry trash bags, wipes and sanitizer because it would upset my inner housekeeper.

That's a good idea. I'd like to add a reverse MetroCard feeder to give people bonuses for recycling temporary or expired MetroCards. It would be a good way to monetize and reward people for picking up the trash in a way that pays off.

I was on an (N) train with a bunch of Chinese food spilled all around. I took out my wipes and cleaned the seat so I could sit down since no one else did. It's rather irksome to see a city make messes and be afraid of them. Weird.

I eat on the subway too but I carry trash bags, wipes and sanitizer because it would upset my inner housekeeper.

Or better yet just eat at home.  The only thing I eat while riding buses or subways are snacks or drinks, and I try not to even do that, as I think eating should be done elsewhere, but I understand that schedules can be complicated and people are on the go.  I also just think it's disgusting to eat on a filthy subway, so if anything I will simply finish say a small pastry that I was eating while walking before I step on the subway, and certainly nothing that is messy.  Drinks are usually sparkling water or still water so that isn't a problem.  Overall the issue is people are lazy, nasty and entitled, so they think someone else will clean up behind them.  It goes back to home training.  If parents raise their kids to dispose of their garbage accordingly they will do so.  Outside of eating, nothing irks me more than seeing people with their dirty feet all on the damn chairs (another reason I never sit on the subway and rarely even touch the poles unless absolutely necessary, and immediately go to the bathroom to wash my hands accordingly with hot soap and water once at home).

On the point of recycling, that's also something else that has to be taught.  There are tons of people that don't recycle (I make a concerted effort to do so, often times holding on to my bottles until I get home where they are rinsed, washed and left to dry to be put into my recycling), so if you can't get them to recycle, they're likely not going to dispose of their garbage either.  Quite frankly fining would be the way to go.  People would be outraged by it, but you hit people's pockets, and suddenly they know how to do so many things that they couldn't do before.  <_<

I'm also looking forward to the Metrocards going away.  Plastic just leads to more waste and garbage, which many people don't recycle (I do).  We need something that is eco-friendly and can be reused many times.

Or better yet just eat at home. The only thing I eat while riding buses or subways are snacks or drinks, and I try not to even do that, as I think eating should be done elsewhere, but I understand that schedules can be complicated and people are on the go. I also just think it's disgusting to eat on a filthy subway, so if anything I will simply finish say a small pastry that I was eating while walking before I step on the subway, and certainly nothing that is messy. Drinks are usually sparkling water or still water so that isn't a problem. Overall the issue is people are lazy, nasty and entitled, so they think someone else will clean up behind them. It goes back to home training. If parents raise their kids to dispose of their garbage accordingly they will do so. Outside of eating, nothing irks me more than seeing people with their dirty feet all on the damn chairs (another reason I never sit on the subway and rarely even touch the poles unless absolutely necessary, and immediately go to the bathroom to wash my hands accordingly with hot soap and water once at home).

On the point of recycling, that's also something else that has to be taught. There are tons of people that don't recycle (I make a concerted effort to do so, often times holding on to my bottles until I get home where they are rinsed, washed and left to dry to be put into my recycling), so if you can't get them to recycle, they're likely not going to dispose of their garbage either. Quite frankly fining would be the way to go. People would be outraged by it, but you hit people's pockets, and suddenly they know how to do so many things that they couldn't do before. <_<

Yikes. If I want to dine I do so in a restaurant. Most of the time it is small snacks. And for those dank and smelly scenarios, i usually disembark to finish my food (preferably at an elevated station). When you eat and ride your gut becomes the consistency of a soda can not yet opened.

Yikes. If I want to dine I do so in a restaurant. Most of the time it is small snacks. And for those dank and smelly scenarios, i usually disembark to finish my food (preferably at an elevated station). When you eat and ride your gut becomes the consistency of a soda can not yet opened.

I don't know how people do it.  Saturday morning I needed to go to Brooklyn and the BM express buses weren't running that early.  Got on a (Q) train at Atlantic Avenue.  Second car was totally empty and when the doors opened, those of us thinking about entering found out why.  Went to the next car to find a homeless guy camped out in the corner.  I don't think I've been on a (Q) train in quite some time in Brooklyn that hasn't had a homeless person on it, so eating in that environment... I couldn't even think about it.

I think you need to re-read what I wrote.  I NEVER suggested closing both 6th and 7th Avenue or ANYTHING specific.  All I said was that they might as well do more Fast Track.  The (MTA) I'm sure knows what is feasible and what isn't.

Read what I wrote. I suggested it.

Well, what is the lesser of two evils?

I don't know how people do it. Saturday morning I needed to go to Brooklyn and the BM express buses weren't running that early. Got on a (Q) train at Atlantic Avenue. Second car was totally empty and when the doors opened, those of us thinking about entering found out why. Went to the next car to find a homeless guy camped out in the corner. I don't think I've been on a (Q) train in quite some time in Brooklyn that hasn't had a homeless person on it, so eating in that environment... I couldn't even think about it.

If not the guy, his smell. Besides, if they're not camping they're heckling other commuters for money so they can buy cigarettes or a six pack. Too many suckers in this city. And i clear purchases next to them as they count the coins of their -suckers- donors right in front of riders.

As they beg. They're dead inside and they don't give af.

Well if the logistics could be figured out without having to implement shuttle bus service, I'd support it. I (and apparently Governor Cuomo) would like to see cleaner stations and I don't see any other way to do it.

That's what happens when the powers that be stop lollygagging after half a century of bull [emoji90] .

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Some people just do not have the time to be at a restaurant for half an hour, and it simply makes sense to take the food on the train as long as it is not bothering anybody else in any way.

Some people just do not have the time to be at a restaurant for half an hour, and it simply makes sense to take the food on the train as long as it is not bothering anybody else in any way.

But they can sit on a subway for half an hour and leave a mess everywhere?  I can understand snacks on the go, but some people are just nasty and have no consideration.  If you must eat then at least have the decency to not leave a mess everywhere.  What I usually see is people finishing entire meals (Chinese food or what have you) and then stuffing the entire bag under their seat when they could simply throw it in the garbage.

But they can sit on a subway for half an hour and leave a mess everywhere?  I can understand snacks on the go, but some people are just nasty and have no consideration.  If you must eat then at least have the decency to not leave a mess everywhere.  What I usually see is people finishing entire meals (Chinese food or what have you) and then stuffing the entire bag under their seat when they could simply throw it in the garbage.

The most egregious violation I’ve seen was a pack of young ####$ cracking open sunflower seeds and tossing the shells all around the seats on the floor. They didn’t seem to have second thoughts.

With security cameras coming into new subway cars, the footage could be posted online or shown on the onthego kiosks to mock them so they will stop.

And they didn’t seem to be ashamed despite disapproving stares from other passengers.

That is disgusting. No matter what, the subway car is not a garbage can, and all trash should go into the proper receptacles. The person should simply throw it out at the station where they get out, or at one of the intermediate stations if they want to make a quick dash to the platform.

With security cameras coming into new subway cars, the footage could be posted online or shown on the onthego kiosks to mock them so they will stop.

Ooh. They get to see my manners in action. Leaving messes behind poses an alternate issue in the city for me.

I don't want to be tied in some murder or crime because I unintentionally or coincidentally left my DNA at the scene...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Archived