What Your Favorite NJT Bus Route

3 hours ago, Jova42R said:

My critique with those is the 186. WHY DOESN'T IT GO TO CLOSTER?

I don't see what the need for it would be. Rockland coaches already serves that area (and serves Englewood). A better critique of the 186 would be its service levels. Weekend service (but also weekday evening service) is not enough, IMO, especially since out of all the GWB routes, it is the one which has the most ridership. The last NY bus departs shortly before 6 PM, and leaves GWB at 7 PM. It should be run until at least 10 PM. Also, at least on Saturdays, the hourly headway should be half-hourly during the day. 

3 hours ago, Jova42R said:

My critique with those is the 186. WHY DOESN'T IT GO TO CLOSTER?

Not much of a point... It's enough that the #186 runs past Madison av. on up to Chestnut Bend, let alone running past Chestnut Bend & Haworth to get to Closter.... Even the #167/177 running to PABT has limited service up towards Haworth & Harrington Park....

What's the big deal about Closter worth capitalizing & bolding that entire question anyway?

Edited by B35 via Church

On 4/24/2020 at 2:26 AM, B35 via Church said:

The #139 → #559 combo is my go-to for whenever I want to go to Atlantic City... If you like 'fanning long local routes with not (actually making) too many stops in between, then you'll like the #559 (bonus points for riding it at night)... Worth the 9 bucks IMO....

I used to like the #59 when I first started fanning NJT, but it's gotten rather boring to me over time... Unlike the #559, the #59 (from Dunellen) is a slow, long & drawn out ride to downtown Elizabeth alone - never mind the route's leg b/w Elizabeth & Newark....

I have a love-hate relationship with the #1.... The western portion of the route I don't really have any problems with... As far as the eastern part of the route, I actually like the diversion in Kearny... However (and this is going to be the unpopular opinion), I don't think the #1 should be running to Exchange Place... All the eastbound trips that don't short turn at [Euclid/Lockwood] or [River Terminal] IMO, should terminate at JSQ..... Either something else, or a new route altogether can cover the #1's portion east of West Side av....

The Trenton locals I eventually want to get around to doing more 'fanning on (same for the Atlantic City locals)... I've taken the #600, but I've never rode the full route...

I never though of the #139/#559 combo. That would have to be a trip I make in the near future. I get the #59 being long (i know, I've looked at that schedule a lot as a child) but still want to see it for myself. I don't know if I can agree on the #1. When it comes to a certain part of jersey city, that is one of the only bus running in that area that can connect to the light rail or path. I get the 6 bus but I think that route should be running more and service extended. The addition of the  #86 was good but it only go so far. I do agree, however, of making a new route that could take over and stop at Newark Penn Station. 

I do have a question. Have you ever been on any of the #400 routes.

15 minutes ago, dkm07302 said:

I've been on most of them, as a matter of fact... My favorite NJT route to 'fan overall is the #409 Trenton-Philly.

Been on the #400 (but as luck would have it, I still haven't been on the trip via the Gloucester Outlets yet), #401, #402 between Woodbury & Philly, #404 (Cherry Hill mall, never been on the Pennsauken buses), #405, #407, #409, #410, #413 (only b/w Moorestown Mall & Camden though), #418 Trenton-Camden express, #450, #451, #455 (only b/w Cherry Hill Mall & Woodbury though), #457, #463 I think it is; the Avandale P&R - Woodbury route, and the #468 Salem route, very isolated part of the state......

Any particular question you have about any of those routes, I'll try to help ya out with....

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, dkm07302 said:

I never though of the #139/#559 combo. That would have to be a trip I make in the near future. I get the #59 being long (i know, I've looked at that schedule a lot as a child) but still want to see it for myself. I don't know if I can agree on the #1. When it comes to a certain part of jersey city, that is one of the only bus running in that area that can connect to the light rail or path. I get the 6 bus but I think that route should be running more and service extended. The addition of the  #86 was good but it only go so far. I do agree, however, of making a new route that could take over and stop at Newark Penn Station. 

He mentioned something could take over that eastern portion...it doesn't have to be left with nothing (e.g. Start at Hudson Mall, swing over to Communipaw Avenue, go up Pacific Street to Grand Street and end at Exchange Place).

In any case, if you count the Paterson jitneys, I'd say those are my favorite (especially the Route 3 portion on the PABT ones). In terms of actual NJT routes, I'd say the #72 is my favorite, followed by the #167.