What Your Favorite NJT Bus Route

Here A Forum Where You Can Talk About Your Favorite NJT Routes. Especially The Howell I Hear The Drivers There Haul Some Serious Ass. So Here Some Of My Favorites

#5 #70. It's Pretty Fast On Washington St (Penn Station Bound) While The #39 (Penn Station Bound Also) Stops At Every Single Stop Along Broad St (Except For W Kinney St) But Just Like The #39 The #70 Is Infrequent But Not As Packed As The #39. Also I Only Take Both Routes From Penn Station To Astor St. I Haven't Took It All The Way To Livingston Mall

#4 #80. Even Though I Only Rode The #80 From Journal Square To Exchange Place But I Like The #80 Because It Come Very Frequent Possibly Because It's Near The PATH And The PATH Is Very Frequent and Crowded Too. It's Also A Nice Tour Around Jersey City. An Honorable Mention Goes To The #87 Just Like The #80 It's Very Frequent and A Nice Alternative To Get For Journal Square To Hoboken.

#3 #1. Now I Rode The #1 A Few Times Now. And It's Very Good To Say The Least. Now The #1 Goes In Three Sections Euclid Av, Journal Square and Exchange Place. It's Kinda Like The Greenville Garage Routes Cause It's Come Frequent But Not As Frequent As Greenville (Even Though It's An Hilton Route) I Just Wish Want Something Happening To The PATH Like Signal Probelms Usually Near Journal Square. The #1 Should Have Extra Service From Journal Square Probably Could Some Neoplans. Maybe Fairview Could Put Some Of Their Neoplans On The #1 When The PATH Is Suspended Or Something Like That. Or Maybe Just Use The #1 As An Alternative For PATH Passengers That To Journal Square (I'm Talking About The Passengers That Don't Transfer To The 33rd St Train At Journal Square).

#2 #139 Honestly I Never Rode This Route. But Due To Frequent Service And Popular Opinion Of Course. I Had To Put It On The List. The Destinations Are Very Unique. So I Like This Route

#1 #5 The Reason I Like The #5 Is Because It's Also Like The Fact That It's Also Close To Where I Live. Even Though The #5 Isn't Frequent On Rush Hour (It Runs Every 15 Min During Rush Hour) It's Is A Bit Crowded But You Can Get An Seat And No One Ever Stand Up. And It's A Bit Faster Than The 39/70 Combine

I guess mine would have to be the 197.

That's the only full route you can take (besides its super express variant, the 196) that will not leave you in New Jersey. Also, there's a big change in the scenery and the views (you get to see the urban environment, the suburbs, and rural areas, in addition to other features. Almost feels like I'm taking a roadtrip. I haven't taken the 197 on the full route before, but one day I would like to do that.

Here A Forum Where You Can Talk About Your Favorite NJT Routes. Especially The Howell I Hear The Drivers There Haul Some Serious Ass. So Here Some Of My Favorites

#5 #70. It's Pretty Fast On Washington St (Penn Station Bound) While The #39 (Penn Station Bound Also) Stops At Every Single Stop Along Broad St (Except For W Kinney St) But Just Like The #39 The #70 Is Infrequent But Not As Packed As The #39. Also I Only Take Both Routes From Penn Station To Astor St. I Haven't Took It All The Way To Livingston Mall

#4 #80. Even Though I Only Rode The #80 From Journal Square To Exchange Place But I Like The #80 Because It Come Very Frequent Possibly Because It's Near The PATH And The PATH Is Very Frequent and Crowded Too. It's Also A Nice Tour Around Jersey City. An Honorable Mention Goes To The #87 Just Like The #80 It's Very Frequent and A Nice Alternative To Get For Journal Square To Hoboken.

#3 #1. Now I Rode The #1 A Few Times Now. And It's Very Good To Say The Least. Now The #1 Goes In Three Sections Euclid Av, Journal Square and Exchange Place. It's Kinda Like The Greenville Garage Routes Cause It's Come Frequent But Not As Frequent As Greenville (Even Though It's An Hilton Route) I Just Wish Want Something Happening To The PATH Like Signal Probelms Usually Near Journal Square. The #1 Should Have Extra Service From Journal Square Probably Could Some Neoplans. Maybe Fairview Could Put Some Of Their Neoplans On The #1 When The PATH Is Suspended Or Something Like That. Or Maybe Just Use The #1 As An Alternative For PATH Passengers That To Journal Square (I'm Talking About The Passengers That Don't Transfer To The 33rd St Train At Journal Square).

#2 #139 Honestly I Never Rode This Route. But Due To Frequent Service And Popular Opinion Of Course. I Had To Put It On The List. The Destinations Are Very Unique. So I Like This Route

#1 #5 The Reason I Like The #5 Is Because It's Also Like The Fact That It's Also Close To Where I Live. Even Though The #5 Isn't Frequent On Rush Hour (It Runs Every 15 Min During Rush Hour) It's Is A Bit Crowded But You Can Get An Seat And No One Ever Stand Up. And It's A Bit Faster Than The 39/70 Combine

In response to AFNYer, the 1 route sadly cannot have more trips going to Jersey City. That is for several reasons. The first one is because on a average weekday, a majority of the Hilton buses are used because they have so many routes from that garage. If that were to happy, then 1 would have to split with 2 garages. The only garage it would be able to split with is Greenville. However, Greenville exhasts almost all of their buses because they have less routes. You see, Greenville only has 6 routes. But, they use so many of their buses on weekdays. If you take a look at MyBusNow off the rush hour, you see about 10 80s, 7 87s and MANY 126 trips. To respond to your Neoplan comment, I would like to have that, but they Neoplans will not be able to handle Ivy Hill Loop. They cannot end there. If there were to be Neoplans on the 1, they would have to add a special trip from Newark to Jersey City and back.

My favorite routes:

#37: Runs from Ivy Hill Loop to Newark Airport (All Terminals and North Area): It is a very simple route and is normally not overcrowded. On an average weekday, the people using it are airport workers that live in the Ivy towers. The bus runs about 2 per hour from 5 to 8 AM then resumes to once per hour, then trips start at Irvington Terminal at noon. The trip is 45 minutes. I normally use it to Terminal C so I can connect to the 62 to get to IKEA.

#108: Newark to New York (via Union City): Once again, a very simple route. The bus starts near the Colonnade Park Apartments. The bus then passes through Broad Street Station then passes through Newark Penn. It is one of the two suburban routes from Hilton, 107 is the other one. Drivers normally alternate from these two routes at PABT. 108 on weekdays has some trips that do NOT go through Union City in the early morning hours. They operate once per hour, and the normal ridership only has a few people standing.

In response to AFNYer, the 1 route sadly cannot have more trips going to Jersey City. That is for several reasons. The first one is because on a average weekday, a majority of the Hilton buses are used because they have so many routes from that garage. If that were to happy, then 1 would have to split with 2 garages. The only garage it would be able to split with is Greenville. However, Greenville exhasts almost all of their buses because they have less routes. You see, Greenville only has 6 routes. But, they use so many of their buses on weekdays. If you take a look at MyBusNow off the rush hour, you see about 10 80s, 7 87s and MANY 126 trips. To respond to your Neoplan comment, I would like to have that, but they Neoplans will not be able to handle Ivy Hill Loop. They cannot end there. If there were to be Neoplans on the 1, they would have to add a special trip from Newark to Jersey City and back

Yeah I Thought That Too Neoplans Can't Go Through Ivy Hill Loop. I Think They Can Probably Go Through 20th St Loop (Where A Few 1 Trips Terminate On) And Neoplans Are Only For When The PATH Is Suspended (Which Don't Happen That Much). And Splitting The 1 With Greenville Is A Great Idea

• 2 years later...

1Route 70: on a Sunday because of it having an artic and most drivers put the peddle to the medal on various parkways and of course the scenery.

Route 80 Jersey City Westside Ave: because I use to live out there in Jersey City near Westside Ave and it was my main bus along with A.C.Corp's Society Hill - Journal SQ. 

Route 83 Hackensack - Jersey City Journal Sq. Long ride through the mixture of small municipalities and urban cities. I'm hoping the chance some day to ride a CAT engine suburban Nabi on the 83.

108 Newark - New York: I use to joy ride on this route many times when the Metro D Suburbans were running at the time. Love riding on the turpike on those buses full speed. I haven't rode on that route since the Metros retired.

190 Paterson - New York: My main bus to and from New York to Paterson. I prefer the express trip 190X. I don't understand why there's not a 190X Paterson Express on weekends. That's a topic for another post

73 Livingston Mall/ Florham Park:  Rode this to Florham Park more than 4 times. I like the scenery, especially up the hill and busy Main Street

158 New York - Fort Lee via River Road: Enjoy this route because you can easily see New York skyline.

159 New York- Fairview - Fort Lee via Bergenline: I enjoy this route because of the artics than run on this route, the hustle and bustle of Bergenline Ave and the various communities of Latin American. 

Routes I like to ride someday: 120 Bayonne- NYC (Wall Street), 139 Rte.9, 551 Philly - Atlantic City and 319 off the top of my head.

As for IBOA, I prefer AC Corp's routes Montgomery & Westside and Newport Mall route

• 2 weeks later...

Out of all the ones I've ridden, it would be the

NJT: 139, 167, 67, 197, 559, 131/135 combo

Rockland Coaches: 11A (Spring Valley branch), 11X, 20

Academy: Route 36-PABT, Shore Points

DeCamp: 32/44, 66R

Lakeland: 46 (Route 46 Direct), 46/80-Newton Branch, Route 80-Lower Manhattan Route

Ameribus: 20/84

Montgomery & Westside: 440 Shopper

Most of my travels in New Jersey are around Hudson & southern Bergen Counties. Buses I use/d somewhat (aside from the 161):

6, 10/119, 62, 81X, 83, 87, 89, 111, 116, 123, 125 (because I had a pass), 126, 127, 161,  166, 167Q, 167T, 190, 703, 772.

My favorites are: 81X (usually a quick ride), 83 (you go from urban to suburban - nice contrast), 161 (obviously), 166 (views from Blvd. East) 772 (ahh suburbia).

My least favorite: 10/119 (punishment during peak times from JC to Bayonne).

43 minutes ago, 161 New York said:

Most of my travels in New Jersey are around Hudson & southern Bergen Counties. Buses I use/d somewhat (aside from the 161):

6, 10/119, 62, 81X, 83, 87, 89, 111, 116, 123, 125 (because I had a pass), 126, 127, 161,  166, 167Q, 167T, 190, 703, 772.

My favorites are: 81X (usually a quick ride), 83 (you go from urban to suburban - nice contrast), 161 (obviously), 166 (views from Blvd. East) 772 (ahh suburbia).

That 119 is atrocious. Should have MCIs on that line or perhaps artics. Back in the day when i rode that line, formerly 99S with Metro Bs, Ds and NovaBus RTSs. The buses were packed like sardines during the peak periods, late nights and even past midnight. Heck even the old MCI 9Bs I was on had full loads. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, Ron2themax said:

That 119 is atrocious. Should have MCIs on that line or perhaps artics. Back in the day when i rode that line, formerly 99S with Metro Bs, Ds and NovaBus RTSs. The buses were packed like sardines during the peak periods, late nights and even past midnight. Heck even the old MCI 9Bs I was on had full loads. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, 161 New York said:

Not amongst my favorites, but I don't really mind the #10....

The #119 however is rather long & drawn out & man, does that sucker get PACKED.... I'm not sure why there are no semblance of any 'X' trips whatsoever; just some short turn trips that run from JSQ to PABT (however, all trips out of PABT run the full distance).....

Of the Paterson - PABT routes, I favor the #161 over the #190.... I find that it moves at a better rate & I like that little sequence/stint over there along/around US 80 (esp. NY bound).... I have a certain fondness for routes that pass through industrial-residential areas as well (which is also part of the reason I like fanning the #409)....

• 3 months later...

NJT 139 - It handles Route 9 well and provides smooth service to/from NYC <-> Freehold on a Saturday.

NJT 554 - Gotta like a bus route that provides headways of an hour whether its a random weekday afternoon, or 3 am Christmas morning. I'm also glad that the Atco Station has hourly service overnight while places with a larger population have their buses turn in around midnight.

Both of these are full service routes (drivers make change; no fare-card/OMNY/Eagle Team nonsense).

Not an NJT operation, but still a good service.....the vans that serve Hudson County. Cash fares and drivers that actually want passengers (because that is how they actually make their money).

NJT #320- these are most friendly drivers ever everytime I go volunteer for NJ VegFest at Meadowland Expo Center in Harmon Meadow.

NJT #166/178/186: Since it goes to my favorite restaurant, Veggie Haven in Teaneck

NJT #126 since it goes to my favorite Hoboken food places with vegan option.

NJT #119 (Academy) and NJT #123- My favorite friend's house.

Edited by FamousNYLover

• 10 months later...

I like the Rockland Coaches 9A, as it takes me to a lot of hikes along the palisades.

I also like the 171, as it is the only GWB route to run MCIs quite often.

Not as much, but I also like the 197 to Warwick, as that is just a really cool town!

I been a huge NJT fan ever since I was a kid. I would collect bus schedules and imagine riding the bus forever (i know, i was a weird child). While there are some lines I want to ride, most of my trips have been in the North part of NJ, and trimming the list wasn't easy. 

Past bus I miss, #43: I only rode this line one time right before it was discontinue. I remember the workers from the post office were very upset it was going away because it was the only direct transportation from the facility. I always thought the line could have continue if it were adjusted. Also, when it use to enter Journal Square, no one would take it to gates ave because it wasn't the 87 (even though it said Gates Ave on it), so it was a breeze to ride home during rush hour. While the ride was great, those moments always stayed in my mind. 

5. #159. I always wanted to ride this line because of the bus type (Neoplan AN459) but the ride was unexpected. I remember getting off at the last stop and wanted to walk around until I realized that I had a class that day and jump back on the bus. While I only rode it full ride one time, the scene was great and the first time I saw the fairview garage. 

4.#1. This bus was so long to me as a child. I would get excited to ride until we got to Newark (had to go to Irvington). Now when I look back, I forget about all the connections to other lines and the fact that it split into different parts (which I learn the hard way when I had to go over to visit a family member). I do know that people dislike the fact that it goes to Hudson County Correctional Faculty because people would sign in unison when the bus went there (but I didn't mind). To me. it a line that shows the difference between each Urban cities. 

3.#770. I only rode this line one time and it was awesome. I'd actually skip a summer program day just to explore this after I rode the #83 (more on that later). I wanted to visit Hackensack Bus Terminal and after getting off the #83, I said whatever bus leaves now is the one I'll get on. Sure enough, the #770 pulled up. The ride was very quiet but looking at a different ride made it exciting. It was also the first time I've been to Paterson and I remember walking around and watching all the bus fly by. I keep saying I'm going to try it again one day but who knows.

2. #111. This is another line I only took one time, but it was recent and it was what I'd imagine it to be. The driver wasn't nice, but it still didn't dampened my spirit. I took it to Jersey Gardens (first time going there) and the ride was great. I think it was too early because I had to wait almost 90 mins for the one to go to union city/ NY but it was nice. 

1.#83.  This is my favorite. I know this line so well. But I've only rode it fully from first point to end point twice. It takes me to all the areas I need, walmart, target, light rail, the heights, doctor office, union city, etc. I realize now it's my go to route when I need to get somewhere. When you ride it the rest of the way, it is like a change of culture and way of living. 

Honorable Mentions: #80 and #87: I take this lines all the time and know them like the back of my hand. Both are great but for a quiet ride to watch the scenery, I'd recommend taking them after morning rush hour and before school kids get out. 

Routes I want to try in the future: #59 (It was one of the first schedules I collected and given to me by my aunt who passed away a few week later when I was young, so always wanted to try that one). #161 (I don't know, I just like the number, already establish I'm weird). #181(Never been to George Washinginton Bus Terminal and this is the route I would use to get there). #559 (I saw this line when I was on a field trip and want to try it). #600( I don't know, but when I went for a field trip, I saw this line and figured it had to be fun).

Edited by dkm07302

44 minutes ago, dkm07302 said:

I been a huge NJT fan ever since I was a kid. I would collect bus schedules and imagine riding the bus forever (i know, i was a weird child). While there are some lines I want to ride, most of my trips have been in the North part of NJ, and trimming the list wasn't easy. 

Past bus I miss, #43: I only rode this line one time right before it was discontinue. I remember the workers from the post office were very upset it was going away because it was the only direct transportation from the facility. I always thought the line could have continue if it were adjusted. Also, when it use to enter Journal Square, no one would take it to gates ave because it wasn't the 87 (even though it said Gates Ave on it), so it was a breeze to ride home during rush hour. While the ride was great, those moments always stayed in my mind. 

5. #159. I always wanted to ride this line because of the bus type (Neoplan AN459) but the ride was unexpected. I remember getting off at the last stop and wanted to walk around until I realized that I had a class that day and jump back on the bus. While I only rode it full ride one time, the scene was great and the first time I saw the fairview garage. 

4.#1. This bus was so long to me as a child. I would get excited to ride until we got to Newark (had to go to Irvington). Now when I look back, I forget about all the connections to other lines and the fact that it split into different parts (which I learn the hard way when I had to go over to visit a family member). I do know that people dislike the fact that it goes to Hudson County Correctional Faculty because people would sign in unison when the bus went there (but I didn't mind). To me. it a line that shows the difference between each Urban cities. 

3.#770. I only rode this line one time and it was awesome. I'd actually skip a summer program day just to explore this after I rode the #83 (more on that later). I wanted to visit Hackensack Bus Terminal and after getting off the #83, I said whatever bus leaves now is the one I'll get on. Sure enough, the #770 pulled up. The ride was very quiet but looking at a different ride made it exciting. It was also the first time I've been to Paterson and I remember walking around and watching all the bus fly by. I keep saying I'm going to try it again one day but who knows.

2. #111. This is another line I only took one time, but it was recent and it was what I'd imagine it to be. The driver wasn't nice, but it still didn't dampened my spirit. I took it to Jersey Gardens (first time going there) and the ride was great. I think it was too early because I had to wait almost 90 mins for the one to go to union city/ NY but it was nice. 

1.#83.  This is my favorite. I know this line so well. But I've only rode it fully from first point to end point twice. It takes me to all the areas I need, walmart, target, light rail, the heights, doctor office, union city, etc. I realize now it's my go to route when I need to get somewhere. When you ride it the rest of the way, it is like a change of culture and way of living. 

Honorable Mentions: #80 and #87: I take this lines all the time and know them like the back of my hand. Both are great but for a quiet ride to watch the scenery, I'd recommend taking them after morning rush hour and before school kids get out. 

Routes I want to try in the future: #59 (It was one of the first schedules I collected and given to me by my aunt who passed away a few week later when I was young, so always wanted to try that one). #161 (I don't know, I just like the number, already establish I'm weird). #181(Never been to George Washinginton Bus Terminal and this is the route I would use to get there). #559 (I saw this line when I was on a field trip and want to try it). #600( I don't know, but when I went for a field trip, I saw this line and figured it had to be fun).

The #139 → #559 combo is my go-to for whenever I want to go to Atlantic City... If you like 'fanning long local routes with not (actually making) too many stops in between, then you'll like the #559 (bonus points for riding it at night)... Worth the 9 bucks IMO....

I used to like the #59 when I first started fanning NJT, but it's gotten rather boring to me over time... Unlike the #559, the #59 (from Dunellen) is a slow, long & drawn out ride to downtown Elizabeth alone - never mind the route's leg b/w Elizabeth & Newark....

I have a love-hate relationship with the #1.... The western portion of the route I don't really have any problems with... As far as the eastern part of the route, I actually like the diversion in Kearny... However (and this is going to be the unpopular opinion), I don't think the #1 should be running to Exchange Place... All the eastbound trips that don't short turn at [Euclid/Lockwood] or [River Terminal] IMO, should terminate at JSQ..... Either something else, or a new route altogether can cover the #1's portion east of West Side av....

The Trenton locals I eventually want to get around to doing more 'fanning on (same for the Atlantic City locals)... I've taken the #600, but I've never rode the full route...