Traffic Checker Exam#7104

cterry1962

:D Hello NYC Transit Forum! This is my first time on this website and want to ask about Traffic Checkers. I applied for the position and can anyone give me some advice on how long it takes to be randomly selected from the list and i saw other postings saying that a list is creating also for TA Cleaners from the same list of Traffic Checkers. How do they determine this cleaner list? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :D

Hello, I applied for Traffic Checker back in August 2011. It took few months that I got selected to take the test. Back when I took the test in November 2011, I wasn't given a list number to take the exam. From what I read about the NOA they changed how they do the process of people getting selected to take the test and there is no application fee this time around compared to last time I took the exam. This time around you only pay the application fee to take the exam once selected. Cleaner is a direct promotion from Traffic Checker that you can apply to become a cleaner once you did one year of service as a Traffic Checker. Hope this helps and good luck

While this thread is up, I have a few questions myself.

Considering that I've applied for Conductor, I've been keeping my eye on the traffic checker position as well. But seeing as its a mabstoa position, is there any issue in regards to working as a mabstoa checker, then going to conductor when getting called up? I've been told that you gotta go through checker, then become a cleaner, then you can go to conductor.

Considering that I've applied for Conductor, I've been keeping my eye on the traffic checker position as well. But seeing as its a mabstoa position, is there any issue in regards to working as a mabstoa checker, then going to conductor when getting called up? I've been told that you gotta go through checker, then become a cleaner, then you can go to conductor.

You'd have to resign from the position of Traffic Checker (if you were called first) and then accept the conductor job. Conductor is an open competitive title so there's no need for you to become a cleaner or anything else if you're called from 6601. We should be getting our results for conductor next year before people actually take the traffic checker exam anyway. Last month I was told 12-18 months from the nyct exams unit via email.

I applied for this position too (seems like a sweet gig for someone fresh out of college) but I'm hoping to be called from 6601 within the first two years of it being established.

Good luck to you, there's no exam fee so there's really nothing to lose from applying.

The current minimum salary is $14.8227 per hour and increases to $16.1075 per hour after 30 months.  That's hardly a sweet gig for a college graduate IMO.

(seems like a sweet gig for someone fresh out of college)

Edited by transitnyc

I applied for this position too (seems like a sweet gig for someone fresh out of college) but I'm hoping to be called from 6601 within the first two years of it being established.

Considering that this is a part time position, it's not really worth much but I guess it's a good place to start.

You'd have to resign from the position of Traffic Checker (if you were called first) and then accept the conductor job. Conductor is an open competitive title so there's no need for you to become a cleaner or anything else if you're called from 6601. We should be getting our results for conductor next year before people actually take the traffic checker exam anyway. Last month I was told 12-18 months from the nyct exams unit via email.

Good luck to you, there's no exam fee so there's really nothing to lose from applying.

So there would be no issues going from mabstoa to NYCT?

Edited by Cait Sith

So there would be no issues going from mabstoa to NYCT?

If you get called for the traffic checker position first start working and then get called for conductor before your probation for that title you won't have the right to return say if you get fired or just quit being a conductor so you'd be out of a job. Other than that though there shouldn't be any issues. As long as you have your hs diploma when you're called up for conductor you should be fine.

They're two open competitive titles. No need to become a cleaner or anything else.

The current minimum salary is $14.8227 per hour and increases to $16.1075 per hour after 30 months.  That's hardly a sweet gig for a college graduate IMO.

It's all relative and everyone's situation is different. There's plenty of graduates that have bachelor's and masters degrees that are working dead end jobs paying anywhere from $9-15 an hour with no benefits. Sure it's part time, but it's still decent money, it looks great on a resume, and there's plenty of opportunities to move up within transit.

College grad can be very ambiguous. Maybe someone who recently completed their AA can use this to help pay for their books and other fees and I'm almost certain that this job provides an unlimited employee pass good onews subways and local buses, so that saves them plenty instead of shelling out to buy a new monthly metrocard.

It's all relative, I'd take this over working at Starbucks or target any day.

• 3 months later...

Some former Traffic Checkers that I have worked with decided to become cleaners before becoming conductors. If you become a cleaner you are eligible to take promotional exams such as conductor which many of my co-workers took advantage of it which they got hired as conductors. Since Traffic Checker is a MABSTOA title you only eligible to take promotional exams from MABSTOA. I had to take the open competitive exam for conductor since I choose not to became a cleaner. Becoming a cleaner after working at least one year as a Traffic Checker is easier way to advance yourself up the ladder in Transit. 

• 1 month later...

Some former Traffic Checkers that I have worked with decided to become cleaners before becoming conductors. If you become a cleaner you are eligible to take promotional exams such as conductor which many of my co-workers took advantage of it which they got hired as conductors. Since Traffic Checker is a MABSTOA title you only eligible to take promotional exams from MABSTOA. I had to take the open competitive exam for conductor since I choose not to became a cleaner. Becoming a cleaner after working at least one year as a Traffic Checker is easier way to advance yourself up the ladder in Transit.

http://twulocal100tuf.org/step_upward.php#

Traffic checkers and cleaners are eligible to participate in the step up program through the union. Always be willing to learn something new and take as many tests as possible.

I wonder when i will be called. my number is 3100 and the letter says the first 2000 applicants take the test in August and September 

20624119_1964894940421193_241161554_n.jpMy admission letter for exam 7104

the image isn't displaying. what number are you?  do you have a test date?

Edited by jmart10

Hello all I am new to the forums but for the past few years I have been checking out the forums . I wanted to know if anybody here took the last traffic checker exam 2101 as I did because last I checked at 180 Livingston the guy told me they were up to 720 and my list # is 1600 he said they were still calling for people off of that list. As for this test my # is 10810 so I really don't have a realistic chance of taking it again unless something drastic happens. I did take track worker exam 3600 and the most recent train operators exam though.

If you did not receive your admission letter by August 1, 2017, you must come to the MTA Exam Information Center located in the Lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 between the hours of 9 AM – 3 PM, Mondays through Fridays.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the exam today for Traffic Checker 7104 and i thought it would be hard but the exam is actually easy and ik all the questions when i saw them its mostly rules and regulations as a Traffic Checker,understanding military time and knowing where to place General Order posters, and filling out forms correctly.  

Are you still working as a Traffic Checker for MABSTOA?

• 2 weeks later...

I took the exam today for Traffic Checker 7104 and i thought it would be hard but the exam is actually easy and ik all the questions when i saw them its mostly rules and regulations as a Traffic Checker,understanding military time and knowing where to place General Order posters, and filling out forms correctly.

I got my test this Tuesday, hopefully they call people back soon.

Are you still working as a Traffic Checker for MABSTOA?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...