Metro-North riders fed up with man who sprawls out on train

Via Garibaldi 8

Not every operator is a conformist. You can't pick and choose which rules to follow and not expect repercussion.

just in case that's used against me layer, I am not entrusted with the safety of my fellow passengers for scenarios outside my decision making.

if I had a commercial endorsement I'd be more careful with it.

and if I had issues with the rules, I would give the employer my input. If he doesn't take it seriously then I ite my tongue and start job searching.

Transit is a public service, And without the public they are of no other service.

call me insensitive but this is still a business. That bleed money by the billions. :-\

Oh for the love of God, transit is not a business... it is a government service!

And if you were a conductor who went up to his superior and started questioning the rule (which by the way, is for the conductor's safety in case the rider gets violent) you would be fired on the spot.

But, no you are apparently incapable of considering the repercussions of operational decisions...

(or address someone directly without resorting to useless spiel, but that's a whole other issue)

Oh for the love of God, transit is not a business... it is a government service!

And if you were a conductor who went up to his superior and started questioning the rule (which by the way, is for the conductor's safety in case the rider gets violent) you would be fired on the spot.

But, no you are apparently incapable of considering the repercussions of operational decisions...

(or address someone directly without resorting to useless spiel, but that's a whole other issue)

You speak of conductor safety, but conductors often endanger themselves by leaving their safe spot or encouraging behavior that jeopardizes their safety, such as allowing freeloaders to roam freely without restraint or scrutiny.

It isn't just because they can't pay - it's because they don't respect or appreciate the property or the personnel that are tasked with its maintenance and upkeep. Call me what you will, but If I'm asked for a swipe, the answer will always be NO. I have a livelihood to protect too.

The system sucks. But I am willing to work with it from any angle that is necessary.

Mass transit is a business that is meant to benefit the public. That's not debatable. Money is required to maintain this business, and like any business, if we operate on a defecit (which is $38 BILLION at present), cuts have to be made. It can be bus routes, subway service, pensions, or fare abatement.

The entity that speaks loudest gets what they want. And riders do not speak loud enough.

There are politicians who simply do not care about transit, including the Governor responsible for its top brass. Instead of people breaking the rules to wear down personnel into not enforcing them, we should partake in every transit event that gives riders a chance to speak their mind. Including elections at ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT.

And most importantly, don't say you won't vote simply because your voice won't be heard, because that's exactly why.

You speak of conductor safety, but conductors often endanger themselves by leaving their safe spot or encouraging behavior that jeopardizes their safety, such as allowing freeloaders to roam freely without restraint or scrutiny.

It isn't just because they can't pay - it's because they don't respect or appreciate the property or the personnel that are tasked with its maintenance and upkeep. Call me what you will, but If I'm asked for a swipe, the answer will always be NO. I have a livelihood to protect too.

The system sucks. But I am willing to work with it from any angle that is necessary.

Mass transit is a business that is meant to benefit the public. That's not debatable. Money is required to maintain this business, and like any business, if we operate on a defecit (which is $38 BILLION at present), cuts have to be made. It can be bus routes, subway service, pensions, or fare abatement.

The entity that speaks loudest gets what they want. And riders do not speak loud enough.

There are politicians who simply do not care about transit, including the Governor responsible for its top brass. Instead of people breaking the rules to wear down personnel into not enforcing them, we should partake in every transit event that gives riders a chance to speak their mind. Including elections at ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT.

And most importantly, don't say you won't vote simply because your voice won't be heard, because that's exactly why.

Where did you get 38 billion? And are you advocating for cuts in bus and subway service?

Where did you get 38 billion? And are you advocating for cuts in bus and subway service?

With the approval of the capital plan, that is now $40 billion.

Everyone who attended three Capital Plan Budget meeting at Bowling Green got a booklet with extensive, line by line details on operating & contract costs.

For the MTA, it's quite an incredibly detailed 75 + pages.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Out of his ass like the rest of his post.

Looking at what $6.8M less did to NICE really puts it in perspective.

And yes, for buses, I would support absorption as opposed to cuts. In my eyes, bus lanes are an easy line of political attack. They're not profitable.

Although reforming the streets would make it easier. Top brass want to be in deadlock. Sooner or later it will blow up under someone.

I think we should use HOV lanes instead, which a proposal I brought up in that meeting would allow ems, taxis, commercial interchange of service.

NICE has the right idea. You can't spend money you don't have. I find their preservation efforts for ABLE RIDE commendable for an agency under fiscal strain & neglect.

At least they respect their elders. That (MTA) ADA lawsuit was bound to happen.

And yes, for buses, I would support absorption as opposed to cuts. In my eyes, bus lanes are an easy line of political attack. They're not profitable.

Although reforming the streets would make it easier. Top brass want to be in deadlock. Sooner or later it will blow up under someone.

I think we should use HOV lanes instead, which a proposal I brought up in that meeting would allow ems, taxis, commercial interchange of service.

NICE has the right idea. You can't spend money you don't have. I find their preservation efforts for ABLE RIDE commendable for an agency under fiscal strain & neglect.

How does any of this have to do with what you quoted? Second MTA not respecting elder, the Access A Ride service is $2.75!!!! In Nassau County it's $3.75...

There's just too much he said, she said going around when it comes to funding the bus system in Nassau. You have one side saying the county can't afford to fund it's own bus system while another side said that there's some funds, but NIFA won't let them access it to prevent the cuts. Neither side ever comes of with a plausible solution until it's too late. Plus, the politicians in Nassau only care about the bus running thru their districts.

Neither side ever comes of with a plausible solution until it's too late.

Looks like every politician reads the same design bible of excuses. ????

Looks like every politician reads the same design bible of excuses. ????

I needed that segué, thanks.

Happy Memorial Day.

I hope traveling isn't too much a nightmare.

*laughs maniacally*

Much as I enjoy sticking to my suburban mindset, this IS why I travel in the first place.

For new perspective.

You guys are gonna hate me for this, but I think he's fine. If it was during the rush then yeah, it would be a problem but on such an early train with so few passengers, just let him sleep. Hell, if when I got to White Plains the seats next to me were empty on a daily basis I'd probably do the same thing.

There's no way im standing while he's relaxing like that...I would simply go to the conductor and have him wake him up and sit properly

This is train 604, which gets into GCT at 6:10. If statistics from 2011 are still accurate, it has a maximum load of 300 people in a six car train, so nobody is being forced to stand.

You guys are gonna hate me for this, but I think he's fine. If it was during the rush then yeah, it would be a problem but on such an early train with so few passengers, just let him sleep. Hell, if when I got to White Plains the seats next to me were empty on a daily basis I'd probably do the same thing.

This is train 604, which gets into GCT at 6:10. If statistics from 2011 are still accurate, it has a maximum load of 300 people in a six car train, so nobody is being forced to stand.

Uh that is simply not true. People have attempted to sit in one of the seats that he boards and can't because he refuses to move. He paid for one seat but wants to board FOUR of them. It's not okay because too many people are doing this crap on the train. Got on a train that was off-peak a few weeks ago but still crowded. Chick has he feet all over the seat blocking it. Another lady started complaining about her hogging up seats and worse having her dirty feet on the seats. Have to agree. One or two people take up 4-8 seats...

I disagree. 

If one is allowed to spread out, then someone else will want to and etc.  Then it gets to a point that there is no room for anyone to sit because everyone is laying across the seats.  When asking individuals to sit up, the reply is often "I will if someone wants to sit there".  People generally won't ask someone to move and will stand.  The other part is having there filthy shoes on the seat. 

To the one's that think it's OK to take your shoes off and put your feet on the seat, guess what, a lot of peoples feet aren't much better based on some of these people hygiene.  Personally, I wouldn't what to sit where someones feet have been whether in shoes, socks or bare.

I disagree. 

If one is allowed to spread out, then someone else will want to and etc.  Then it gets to a point that there is no room for anyone to sit because everyone is laying across the seats.  When asking individuals to sit up, the reply is often "I will if someone wants to sit there".  People generally won't ask someone to move and will stand.  The other part is having there filthy shoes on the seat. 

To the one's that think it's OK to take your shoes off and put your feet on the seat, guess what, a lot of peoples feet aren't much better based on some of these people hygiene.  Personally, I wouldn't what to sit where someones feet have been whether in shoes, socks or bare.

I took the train in today and luckily everyone was civilized, which is saying something because there's Yankees' game going on. Those people in particular can be quite uncivilized laying all over the seats.  I made sure to take a later semi-express train so as to avoid the crowds that would come before the game started. Worked out perfectly.

No hate warranted.

Time of day is completely irrelevant to anything here.... The guy sleeping isn't really the problem either.

You're placing emphasis on things that isn't addressing the obvious elephant in the room; almost like you're doing it purposefully....

It's a cleanliness issue.

I mean honestly, I feel skeevy taking off my shoes on any mode of public transportation - let alone the justifying of anyone else doing it.

The only, and I mean the only time I've ever took off my shoes on a train was when something got inside of em - and I tried my HARDEST to not have my socks touch ANYTHING on the train - with success..... I couldn't get that comfortable to where I'd want to sprawl out on a bus or train anyway.....

Personally, when I see someone sprawled out like that on a train, at minimum, it exudes a lack of class (or a home) to me.....

There's just too much he said, she said going around when it comes to funding the bus system in Nassau. You have one side saying the county can't afford to fund it's own bus system while another side said that there's some funds, but NIFA won't let them access it to prevent the cuts. Neither side ever comes of with a plausible solution until it's too late. Plus, the politicians in Nassau only care about the bus running thru their districts.

Let's not kid ourselves here.... Nassau loves touting the fact that they're one of the richest counties in the nation, but yet I'm supposed to believe they don't have the money to fund public buses in Nassau County? It isn't that they don't have it, it's that they don't want to continue to fund public buses in the county that doesn't directly benefit others of their ilk....

In plain english, they don't their "hard earned" dollars going towards benefiting lower class people....

Choo-choo, goes the train.....

Let's not kid ourselves here.... Nassau loves touting the fact that they're one of the richest counties in the nation, but yet I'm supposed to believe they don't have the money to fund public buses in Nassau County? It isn't that they don't have it, it's that they don't want to continue to fund public buses in the county that doesn't directly benefit others of their ilk....

In plain english, they don't their "hard earned" dollars going towards benefiting lower class people....

It's so true... One way to marginalize people that aren't well-to-do is to either make transportation expensive and/or make the cheaper transit options less frequent.  Hell out there, they even look down on car service, which is what I use from the LIRR, or someone picks me up and takes me and from the LIRR station.  

Poor people generally don't have cars because cars are expensive to upkeep.  There's an article that even touches upon how Long Island was constructed:  

Moses’s parkways are also defined by ultra-low seemingly impenetrable bridges, designed, says Koppelman, to keep buses of poor city people out. Koppelman even once measured the overpasses on the Wantagh Parkway himself to verify that they were in fact deliberately built too low.

“The only way you could get to Jones Beach was by automobile,” Koppelman says. 

Source: https://www.longislandpress.com/2013/11/30/robert-moses-the-last-master-builder/

Moses’s parkways are also defined by ultra-low seemingly impenetrable bridges, designed, says Koppelman, to keep buses of poor city people out. Koppelman even once measured the overpasses on the Wantagh Parkway himself to verify that they were in fact deliberately built too low.

“The only way you could get to Jones Beach was by automobile,” Koppelman says. 

The people in Nassau are rich, but the county is more or less broke. Now that all that infrastructure from the '50s and '60s is coming of age and needs replacement, turns out low density suburbia doesn't generate enough taxes to replace all that crap. So they hike the property taxes, people leave, the tax base shrinks, they hike the property taxes, people leave, the tax base shrinks, and we keep going round the stupid merryy go round. (That being said, the county being broke is a great way for them to excuse drastically cutting transit service to the bone.)

Nassau County has had a fiscal control board since 2000 because its books are so bad.

Out of his ass like the rest of his post.

You're probably right.

Instead of being derogatory how about proving me wrong like you guys successfully did with my fare usage?

Which is 138 rides per month this Spring...January to April.

The people in Nassau are rich, but the county is more or less broke. Now that all that infrastructure from the '50s and '60s is coming of age and needs replacement, turns out low density suburbia doesn't generate enough taxes to replace all that crap. So they hike the property taxes, people leave, the tax base shrinks, they hike the property taxes, people leave, the tax base shrinks, and we keep going round the stupid merryy go round. (That being said, the county being broke is a great way for them to excuse drastically cutting transit service to the bone.)

Nassau County has had a fiscal control board since 2000 because its books are so bad.

I'm sure you say that about Westchester too, but it is not true. Having been a resident of both populations I stand to disagree.

You ARE right about the Rich flight problem. There isn't much they can do about those moving tax dollars.

But $6.8 million is chum change compared to what the MTA owes.

That analysis is fair. *mhm's*

Plus, the politicians in Nassau only care about the bus running thru their districts.

This is why people need to stop saying they won't vote when things get bad.

Politicians are as out of touch as their constituents and neither side has the right to complain as they've waived it.

Long Island is practically falling apart and once transit breaks, so will the rest of it.

Oh with the I did so many trips crappola. Really no one cares. I take a plethora of trips on the express bus and Metro-North, and I sure as hell don't keep track. If anything some trips are a pain in the neck. There is nothing glamorous about commuting. Sure, maybe I could tell you my commute for a day, but for a month? Forget it. I could care less.

I'm sure you say that about Westchester too, but it is not true. Having been a resident of both populations I stand to disagree.

You ARE right about the Rich flight problem. There isn't much they can do about those moving tax dollars.

But $6.8 million is chum change compared to what the MTA owes.

Facts don't lie. Nassau is controlled by a State fiscal control board. Moody's gives the MTA a higher credit rating than Nassau County. The facts don't lie.

Also, nice of you to project your Westchester insecurities into a statement that had nothing to do with it at all.

Facts don't lie. Nassau is controlled by a State fiscal control board. Moody's gives the MTA a higher credit rating than Nassau County. The facts don't lie.

Also, nice of you to project your Westchester insecurities into a statement that had nothing to do with it at all.

The people who give those credit ratings are paid by the top brass behind closed doors to keep their mouths shut.

Facts don't lie, eh?

Lies ARE Facts in MTA culture.

Those counties at least have their money close. The MTA?

Just imagine that State Farm commerical with the dollar on a string.

I'm glad more of you are seeing what this troglodyte, me um, teke um, more rides um than you, looking son of a bitch is.... He only comes on here to be an damn irritant, offering much of nothing to a forum of this stature & quality... I'm not gonna do it, but just look at his post history....

It's so true... One way to marginalize people that aren't well-to-do is to either make transportation expensive and/or make the cheaper transit options less frequent.  Hell out there, they even look down on car service, which is what I use from the LIRR, or someone picks me up and takes me and from the LIRR station.....

While true (of LI's commuting habits), the irony is there's a conspiracy going around that bus service in the county is being sabotaged so that more of people's hard earned money can be poured wasted into taking All Island Taxi/Taxi Latino cabs or whatever.... From what I understand, some affiliate of Mangano's run those & other taxicab companies in the county.....

I'm glad more of you are seeing what this troglodyte, me um, teke um, more rides um than you, looking son of a bitch is.... He only comes on here to be an damn irritant, offering much of nothing to a forum of this stature & quality... I'm not gonna do it, but just look at his post history....

While true (of LI's commuting habits), the irony is there's a conspiracy going around that bus service in the county is being sabotaged so that more of people's hard earned money can be poured wasted into taking All Island Taxi/Taxi Latino cabs or whatever.... From what I understand, some affiliate of Mangano's run those & other taxicab companies in the county.....

I dunno if it's true, but God the cabs out there are expensive, even by my standards. I think it cost me almost $40.00 to and from the Oheka Castle to reach the Huntington station (was reimbursed as a business expense). Wasn't a long ride either. Then there are the train tickets. That had to be over $20.00 for sure, so for a business dinner, it cost my boss over $60.00 for a few hours, not to mention the $400.00 spent for the dinner for me to go and schmooze. I even asked for pricing before going so that I could ask for monies up front to cover in case I didn't take enough cash (don't like charging stuff like that unless I have to to keep it separate), and when I actually needed the cab, it was a good $5.00 more than what I was told each way.

I dunno if it's true, but God the cabs out there are expensive, even by my standards. I think it cost me almost $40.00 to and from the Oheka Castle to reach the Huntington station (was reimbursed as a business expense). Wasn't a long ride either. Then there are the train tickets. That had to be over $20.00 for sure, so for a business dinner, it cost my boss over $60.00 for a few hours, not to mention the $400.00 spent for the dinner for me to go and schmooze. I even asked for pricing before going so that I could ask for monies up front to cover in case I didn't take enough cash (don't like charging stuff like that unless I have to to keep it separate), and when I actually needed the cab, it was a good $5.00 more than what I was told each way.

How'd you like the shithole that is Huntington Station (where LIRR Huntington is located)....

West Hills is much nicer, but still doesn't warrant $20 each way to get to/from LIRR Huntington.... Don't blame you for not utilizing CSH (LIRR Cold Spring Harbor) either....

I can understand 24 bucks (or w/e it is now) b/w Mineola & Hicksville, but now I'm hearing it went up to 10 bucks (from 8) to get from Mineola to Roosevelt Field; at the exact instance a couple weeks ago when NICE cut some service on the n22 b/w those two destinations..... There's exploiting a market & then there's price gouging.....

As far as LIRR ticket prices, don't get me started with paying for a quality of service that's not being had..... You don't know how good you have it with Metro-North up there....

Archived