MTA will add bike racks to Bx23, Q50 buses

GojiMet86

Anyone know how the bikes get on and off the rack? Is it just a simple lock? Would there be any chance for the bike rack to have an issue when taking the bike off? Let's say someone is trying to get their bike off the rack, but it's stuck for whatever reason.  Or lets say the bike isn't properly placed onto the rack and falls while in-motion.This would cause a headache for both the driver and other passengers IMO.

It's a bar that goes over the front tire and locks it in place until you physically pull it off.

Ok ppl listen up and listen good B/O dont control the temp of the bus climate its one switch on or off simple the thermostat decides if its cold or hot simple. Yes we have our own climate control that we can make hot or cold but not for passengers. So plz dont speak on something obvious have no clue about. Sincerely yours B/O

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Ok ppl listen up and listen good B/O dont control the temp of the bus climate its one switch on or off simple the thermostat decides if its cold or hot simple. Yes we have our own climate control that we can make hot or cold but not for passengers. So plz dont speak on something obvious have no clue about. Sincerely yours B/O

That's my point. You can control if there is heat or not and sometimes heat is not needed, yet that switch is on.

If the switch was u do realize that there would be no air in the bus at all. Some bus the windows dont open at all so your sure you want the air off

That happens also.  It's just as bad putting the heat.  They should keep the buses like the trains where there is ongoing ventilation (airflow).  

1. The Whitestone Bridge doesn't have a bike path AFAIK

2. Other operators have shown that bike racks don't slow down buses.

3. The person with the bike can take it off the rack while the other people are getting off you know...

The first line you mentioned, I was just about to say that, but I’m gonna add something to it. The BWB is a non pedestrian/bike crossing, so it is good for the Q50.

The second line you mention, I don’t see a problem with it. I myself have taken buses with bike racks and I don’t see a slowdown on commuting. It’s just a 10 second put on/take off unless if you’re on a Manhattan bus route, then it’s a different story.

What they do need to put it on is to those who live far off a bus route, in which you don’t see often.

On 9/26/2017 at 2:16 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

any thoughts on adding the bike racks on the q44 also is it a busy route? if so they should consider adding the triple bike racks and consider looking into them for the busier route if they intend on implementing this fully system wide

I would recommend it on one bus just to give a try. If it succeeds, then employ it

On 10/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, FLX9304 said:

I would recommend it on one bus just to give a try. If it succeeds, then employ it

Yes i agree, where i live the 3 bike racks on some bus routes can be helpful they tried it before on one bus but it blocked the lights so it gave it the standard 2 rack now the new order of diesel gillig buses got the triple bike racks, also it will help people on the busy routes so if the 2 bike racks are full they are forced to wait a bus or 2 for an empty rack.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, FLX9304 said:

One bus on a line that runs roughly 30 artics(more or less) during the rush hours? How are folks supposed to know about the bike racks on such a line!?

I'd understand if it was on a route like the B32, B24 or such, but the Q44? Nah.....you're gonna need more than one bus fitted with a bike rack to get the message across customers.

23 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

One bus on a line that runs roughly 30 artics(more or less) during the rush hours? How are folks supposed to know about the bike racks on such a line!?

I'd understand if it was on a route like the B32, B24 or such, but the Q44? Nah.....you're gonna need more than one bus fitted with a bike rack to get the message across customers.

I get that, and i was only saying the q44 since that seems like the next bridge route, i also was saying that the ta should also consider testing the triple bike racks for those busy routes for when this goes system wide

Archived