Bus door safety features?

QM1to6Ave

I was on the Q46 this week, and saw something pretty disturbing. The B/O closed the front door on a lady's arm, didn't notice, and started turning the wheel and got ready to merge into traffic (he started picking his foot off the brake). If he had moved the bus, this lady's arm would have been broken or worse. Luckily, she started yelling and the B/O was visibly shaken.

Do the LFS's and Orion 3G's (and any other bus for that matter) have safety sensors or whatever like the NTT trains, so that if a door is not completely shut, the bus can't move? If there are sensors, how sensitive are they (like, if there was a backpack strap stuck in the door, would it detect it)?

I also was on a QM1 that got into a nasty fender-bender this week, so it was not my favorite bus travel week...

I'm pretty sure that the buses can be driven with the doors open, and that the sensors only prevent opening the door when it's in motion.

So if I'm right, the BO would've taken the lady's arm if he didn't open the door again.

Fun fact: someone on the S52 Friday got mad we were stopped waiting for a truck to move at St Mark's and Westervelt, and punched the backdoor open when the BO wouldn't open the door. When standing in the rear well, be careful to not lean on the door because if the door system is compromised, those doors swing open on every turn or braking attempt.

56 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I'm pretty sure that the buses can be driven with the doors open, and that the sensors only prevent opening the door when it's in motion.

So if I'm right, the BO would've taken the lady's arm if he didn't open the door again.

Fun fact: someone on the S52 Friday got mad we were stopped waiting for a truck to move at St Mark's and Westervelt, and punched the backdoor open when the BO wouldn't open the door. When standing in the rear well, be careful to not lean on the door because if the door system is compromised, those doors swing open on every turn or braking attempt.

Jesus, that's scary. Definitely makes me appreciate the subways more

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I was on the Q46 this week, and saw something pretty disturbing. The B/O closed the front door on a lady's arm, didn't notice, and started turning the wheel and got ready to merge into traffic (he started picking his foot off the brake). If he had moved the bus, this lady's arm would have been broken or worse. Luckily, she started yelling and the B/O was visibly shaken.

Do the LFS's and Orion 3G's (and any other bus for that matter) have safety sensors or whatever like the NTT trains, so that if a door is not completely shut, the bus can't move? If there are sensors, how sensitive are they (like, if there was a backpack strap stuck in the door, would it detect it)?

I also was on a QM1 that got into a nasty fender-bender this week, so it was not my favorite bus travel week...

What I've been seeing more and more of late (especially on SBS lines) are people trying to get on the bus and the driver closing the doors on them.  It happened most recently on the M79.  The lady was trying to get on at 5th and 79th.  The doors were about to close on her once and she yelled out and stepped back from the bus.  Driver then opened the doors again and she once again attempted to step on with him trying to close the doors before she could get on so she yelled out again, and the cycle repeated itself with her finally able to board.  It was almost comical to be honest. You're supposed to be able to board through any door, but apparently the drivers don't always look at all of them before closing them.

Plenty of buses allow the bus to go with the front door open. It's only the back door that has the safety mechanism. Ultimately it's too be expected that the driver should make sure the doors are properly closed before pulling out. Hence why they're given the ability to drive with the doors open.

21 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The Xcelsiors has sensors in the front door that should recycle the doors if there's something caught in between. 

That is good to know. This was an LFS, which apparently does not have those sensors or they were not working. 

Archived