50th Street Passageway closed again?

Porter

Friday afternoon, 14:00, and the passageway between the (1) and (C)(E) across 50th Street between Broadway and Eighth Avenue is closed. What gives? The sign clearly states that it is to be open every weekday from the morning until the evening.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Is it operated by the MTA or a private development?

I'm pretty sure it's operated by the building manager of Paramount Plaza (out-of-fare transfers tend to be, as with 130 Liberty). This passageway was constructed for the sole purpose of sheltering the building's employees and visitors who wanted to take the northbound (C) and (E) lines during unfavorable weather.

9 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'm pretty sure it's operated by the building manager of Paramount Plaza (out-of-fare transfers tend to be, as with 130 Liberty). This passageway was constructed for the sole purpose of sheltering the building's employees and visitors who wanted to take the northbound (C) and (E) lines during unfavorable weather.

Maybe there was something that had to be fixed in the passageway? 

22 hours ago, traildriver said:

Is there supposed to be something similar along 42nd street between the Bryant Park and Times Square stations...'out of fare transfer'?

There is, and also one between Herald Square and Penn Station, and even one between Herald Square and Bryant Park that is so insanely large that you could send two-lane automobile traffic through it with room to spare. Rather than install cameras and patrol these corridors, the (MTA) decided to damn them into oblivion, only because it's easier. It's the same line of reasoning that keeps Park Row closed. It's easier not to grant the public access, so screw them, right? It's not like they have any recourse.

1 hour ago, rbrome said:

What is that one? I'm not familiar with it, and couldn't find anything with a few searches. 

It's a boulevard that connects Bowery and Centre streets, which is what connects Chinatown to City Hall. It has been closed since 9/11, although at least they now allow the M9 and M103 to pass through it.

City Hall to Chinatown

Chinatown to City Hall

49 minutes ago, CenSin said:

Maybe we should crowd-source a list of abandoned pedestrian tunnels connecting to subway stations in New York.

The big ones in Manhattan that have been closed since the early '90s or earlier are:

- 33rd Street (Gimbels) passageway between Herald Square and Penn Station

- Sixth Avenue passageway between Herald Square and Bryant Park

- 14th Street passageway between Sixth Avenue and Eighth Avenue

The 50th Street passageway mentioned above recently reopened (which is why I was unhappy to find it closed).

Is this the one that runs past 50 Court with the Equinox ? I know it was closed, and there's the boarded up space at the end of the northbound (E) platform, which  I believe was where it connected. Is this what is being said to have opened, but then closed again?

19 hours ago, Eric B said:

Is this the one that runs past 50 Court with the Equinox ? I know it was closed, and there's the boarded up space at the end of the northbound (E) platform, which  I believe was where it connected. Is this what is being said to have opened, but then closed again?

The passageway is in Manhattan, not Brooklyn. It has metal shutters and runs from Paramount Plaza.

Who said anything about Brooklyn?:unsure:  I meant Paramount Plaza, but didn't know what it was called (could only find it called "50 Court"); but I knew the Equinox was in the sunken plaza, and that's where the passageway was. 

Did they really have this open recently?

On 11/21/2017 at 9:14 PM, Eric B said:

Who said anything about Brooklyn?:unsure:  I meant Paramount Plaza, but didn't know what it was called (could only find it called "50 Court"); but I knew the Equinox was in the sunken plaza, and that's where the passageway was. 

Did they really have this open recently?

Sorry, misunderstanding:

S70gFPC.png

Yes, they opened it at the dawn of 2011:

On 11/20/2017 at 1:31 PM, Skipper said:

It's a boulevard that connects Bowery and Centre streets, which is what connects Chinatown to City Hall. It has been closed since 9/11, although at least they now allow the M9 and M103 to pass through it.

City Hall to Chinatown

Chinatown to City Hall

The big ones in Manhattan that have been closed since the early '90s or earlier are:

- 33rd Street (Gimbels) passageway between Herald Square and Penn Station

- Sixth Avenue passageway between Herald Square and Bryant Park

- 14th Street passageway between Sixth Avenue and Eighth Avenue

The 50th Street passageway mentioned above recently reopened (which is why I was unhappy to find it closed).

Thanks for that info....the only one of those I ever used was the passageway thru Gimbel's basement before the homeless squatter's caused its closure....

On 11/17/2017 at 6:29 PM, Skipper said:

Friday afternoon, 14:00, and the passageway between the (1) and (C)(E) across 50th Street between Broadway and Eighth Avenue is closed. What gives? The sign clearly states that it is to be open every weekday from the morning until the evening.

Did the developer get a "zoning bonus" (special permission to build higher than would otherwise be allowed) for installing that passageway? 

18 hours ago, traildriver said:

Hey, that sounds like a great idea...perhaps it can be expanded to allowing zoning exemption's in exchange for building new subway stations...think of how much that would reduce the MTA's expense of building new subways lines....:)

That already happens. See: Midtown East (One Vanderbilt will expand Grand Central), the Court Square complex, 51st/Lex, the list really goes on and on.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:32 AM, traildriver said:

Hey, that sounds like a great idea...perhaps it can be expanded to allowing zoning exemption's in exchange for building new subway stations...think of how much that would reduce the MTA's expense of building new subways lines....:)

I wouldn't have them pay the whole thing, but I would have them go by a ratio (ex. every extra floor built above the limit accounts for .3% of construction costs, so a building looking for 5 extra floors would pay 1.5% of the new station's construction cost.

5 hours ago, traildriver said:

Great!  But that list is only for expanded stations on existing lines.....how about building new stations south of 63rd street along 2nd Avenue, for an expanded 2nd avenue line?

The problem with that is we have no idea what those stations will look like, really, and so if everyone is building up their own little jigsaw piece of a subway station it will probably end up that all the pieces don't fit.

Archived