"We Are Delayed Because of <Insert Reason Here>"

Lance

If you're stuck on the train with no idea as to why you haven't moved in the past ten minutes, you're not alone. Sometimes, the MTA has no clue either.

MTA gave false reasons for 10,000 subway delays that originally couldn’t be explained, data shows

The MTA has trouble making up time on the subways, but no problem making up numbers to explain its delays.

Internal documents the Daily News obtained show transit officials couldn’t figure out the cause for more than 10,000 of the subway system’s delays in January, so they sprinkled them into established late and canceled categories in their public operations reports.

During a March 9 closed-door meeting attended by a top transit executive, Tim Mulligan, officials presented January stats that showed 76,287 weekday delays, including 10,642 that had no known cause. Instead of creating a category for those unfathomable delays — which constituted a whopping 14% of holdups — transit management added them evenly to each of 14 categories.

That means, for example, more delays attributed to sick passengers, the weather and NYPD investigations.

Read more: Source

Hmmmm.... delays with no scapegoat. 

I wonder what could cause a train to operate late when nothing else is wrong? Could it possibly be (mta officials gasp) operational incompetence? Or the fact they’ve been slowing down all their trains for the past two decades? Gee. I don’t know. Difficult question. We should definitely ask a consultant. 

</sarcasm> 

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

Hmmmm.... delays with no scapegoat. 

I wonder what could cause a train to operate late when nothing else is wrong? Could it possibly be (mta officials gasp) operational incompetence? Or the fact they’ve been slowing down all their trains for the past two decades? Gee. I don’t know. Difficult question. We should definitely ask a consultant. 

</sarcasm> 

And a corrupt one at that... 

Made several posts on here expressing my agitation for the falsification behind those announcements..... No NYC subway rider worth their salt should be awe-struck, or disappointed (lol) by these findings.....

Hell, I have no qualms in mocking them; it's often that I say "yeah right" (either in mutterance or completely inaudible) whenever they're played.....

AFAIC, the computerized announcements come across as inauthentic....

Well I don’t feel so bad, I once made an announcement that service was suspended due too the actual reason... A drunk woman decided to walk from one station to the other and the cops won’t let us run her over.

Archived