Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

7 pm bus is running. I guess they figure that's a good enough percentage LOL

So let's make a quick assessment of what QM1 buses did and didn't run tonight. Filled trips are in green and missing trips are in red.

4:00 PM

4:30 PM

5:00 PM

5:30 PM

6:00 PM

6:30 PM

7:00 PM

More than half the buses (57%) didn't run tonight. Plus there were no QM5's running via Fresh Meadows to compensate for this. No wonder why the QM31 buses are heavily used. People can't rely on the QM1 anymore so they started shifting to other routes. (Just like what people did with the X13 and X16 routes back in the day.)

Edited by Lil 57

7 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

So let's make a quick assessment of what QM1 buses did and didn't run tonight. Filled trips are in green and missing trips are in red.

4:00 PM

4:30 PM

5:00 PM

5:30 PM

6:00 PM

6:30 PM

7:00 PM

More than half the buses (57%) didn't run tonight. Plus there were no QM5's running via Fresh Meadows to compensate for this. No wonder why the QM31 buses are heavily used. People can't rely on the QM1 anymore so they started shifting to other routes. (Just like what people did with the X13 and X16 routes back in the day.)

Bingo! And, the fact that 3 ran is more than the usual 1 or 2

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Bingo! And, the fact that 3 ran is more than the usual 1 or 2

They have days where only one bus runs?

This is just sad. I have a feeling that the QM1 is going to fall with the same fate of the X13 and X16 buses if the (MTA) doesn't step their game up soon.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

They have days where only one bus runs?

This is just sad. I have a feeling that the QM1 is going to fall with the same fate of the X13 and X16 buses if the (MTA) doesn't step their game up soon.

Yup--the real question is if there have been days where none have run. Wouldn't surprise me at all. I agree, the QM1 is on its way to being phased out thanks to this

31 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yup--the real question is if there have been days where none have run. Wouldn't surprise me at all. I agree, the QM1 is on its way to being phased out thanks to this

I've decided to make an excel sheet showing missing trips. Can you guys fill me on info about the QM1 if I don't remember to check BusTime?

20 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Thanks!

Looking back, the QM1 used to have midday service on Weekdays. Was it unreliable before it got cut and replaced by re-routed QM5 buses?

The MTA has been slowly chopping away at QM1 service. This is why I’ve been especially vocal about it because I know the exactly what they’re trying to pull. Run piss poor service to deter ridership, and then turn around and say OH, well ridership declined, so we have to cut service, but this time we have proof for MONTHS showing exactly how many trips they haven’t been filling every day. Every single day I have been logging ALL MORNING AND EVENING QM1 trips and in our upcoming meeting I am going to be on their @ss about why so many QM1 trips continue to go missing. This is not acceptable and I am demanding answers. This is a public agency that taxpayers contribute towards, and they have a responsibility to meet the transportation needs of said taxpayers, and they are not doing it, and they must be held accountable for their horrendous service. After noting that I was contacting elected officials, I see tonight that all QM1 trips have been filled. However, I still will be grilling them about the past several weeks. They like to try to skirt around my questions and say oh well give us specific examples, so this time I’m coming with specifics and I want answers to my questions. That’s why I’ve been asking who will be at this meeting so that I don’t have people shrugging their shoulders when I ask why for example their buses were running so hot constantly on various QM lines.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The MTA has been slowly chopping away at QM1 service. This is why I’ve been especially vocal about it because I know the exactly what they’re trying to pull. Run piss poor service to deter ridership, and then turn around and say OH, well ridership declined, so we have to cut service, but this time we have proof for MONTHS showing exactly how many trips they haven’t been filling every day. Every single day I have been logging ALL MORNING AND EVENING QM1 trips and in our upcoming meeting I am going to be on their @ss about why so many QM1 trips continue to go missing. This is not acceptable and I am demanding answers. This is a public agency that taxpayers contribute towards, and they have a responsibility to meet the transportation needs of said taxpayers, and they are not doing it, and they must be held accountable for their horrendous service.

Today all of the QM1 buses up to 6:30 PM came today. I'm checking right now if the 7 PM shows up.

And it did.

Today was a better QM1 day (PM wise) all trips showed up. Hopefully, it continues.

Edited by Lil 57

2 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Today all of the QM1 buses up to 6:30 PM came today. I'm checking right now if the 7 PM shows up.

And it did.

Today was a better QM1 day (PM wise) all trips showed up. Hopefully, it continues.

Yes and all morning trips were filled too. This is the first time in several weeks that all 9 AM trips and all 7 PM trips were filled. If they can’t run a rush hour only line with 30 minute headways at night, how in the hell are we to believe that they can provide frequent service with buses coming every 4-5 minutes...

It seems like since the new pick, some of the QM drivers heading back to NE Queens in the afternoon rush are quite literally rushing out of the city.  Over the last 2 weeks, my bus has run hot on many days, leaving 59th/Lex at least 5 minutes earlier than scheduled.  Heck today, I tried to catch the QM20 that was supposed to depart at 1623.  I got to the stop 10 minutes early only to see the QM20 rolling away towards 3rd Avenue...

On 1/17/2019 at 10:24 PM, Lil 57 said:

Thanks!

Looking back, the QM1 used to have midday service on Weekdays. Was it unreliable before it got cut and replaced by re-routed QM5 buses?

I used to use the midday QM1 before going inbound, usually from the first stop in Fresh Meadows (before they moved it to where the Five Guys is now). I typically used the 1:40 or 2:40 PM trips, although on occasion, I would use other trips, like the 11:40 AM or the 4:40 PM. They ran on time for the most part, but they never really got the loads that the QM5 got. However, one midday trip (the 11:40 AM) actually did okay. I can't remember how many people it had, but it was somewhere in the range of 15. The other (inbound) trips though, never really carried more than five passenger a piece. Most riders at that time usually get on before 188 Street.

If they only bothered to adjust the schedule a little more instead of outright eliminating the bus and leaving a weird gap of service between the QM5 and QM6, that would have been great. The elimination of midday service was the start of declining quality of service on the QM1. I know that the first few weeks, there were issues during midday periods because B/Os would not go north of 73 Avenue on 188 Street. I got burned like that once.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

They now have special schedules for the NYCT express routes:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/spcl_martinLutherday.htm

Ok, the SIM3C runs all day with no direct SIM3 service on MLK day even though the SIM34 and SIM35 are running. Those trips are going to be carrying very little during peak hours on MLK day.

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

That’s correct. We’ve made such a stink about it my group and another group that they created them. It’s been something we’ve been asking for for a while and something I had planned on mentioning in my meeting coming up this month. One less thing to discuss now...

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I used to use the midday QM1 before going inbound, usually from the first stop in Fresh Meadows (before they moved it to where the Five Guys is now). I typically used the 1:40 or 2:40 PM trips, although on occasion, I would use other trips, like the 11:40 AM or the 4:40 PM. They ran on time for the most part, but they never really got the loads that the QM5 got. However, one midday trip (the 11:40 AM) actually did okay. I can't remember how many people it had, but it was somewhere in the range of 15. The other (inbound) trips though, never really carried more than five passenger a piece. Most riders at that time usually get on before 188 Street.

If they only bothered to adjust the schedule a little more instead of outright eliminating the bus and leaving a weird gap of service between the QM5 and QM6, that would have been great. The elimination of midday service was the start of declining quality of service on the QM1. I know that the first few weeks, there were issues during midday periods because B/Os would not go north of 73 Avenue on 188 Street. I got burned like that once.

We noted the areas where QM buses were skipping segments of the trip on the QM2 and QM5 in our express bus review and this information was given directly to a higher up @ the MTA to address. This problem has since been rectified, and we check to ensure that this remains the case. If for some reason, you or anyone else experiences problems, let me know about it and I will have it addressed ASAP. I have been asked to let people in from the MTA to my group to monitor service. They want to see what the problems are and I do just that. It allows me to have their ears on a daily basis which is great. Most of them don’t comment and I agreed to not tag them either. Here and there we talk via PM about certain issues that pop up.

ANNOUNCEMENT: For express bus passengers needing to transfer to a different express bus, we have been hearing from passengers that announcements are now being made on express buses stating that ”customers can transfer to a different express bus in the destination borough”. This announcement is correct FOR NOW, and includes “drop-off only” stops. I spoke with my contacts about this several weeks ago. This was done to alleviate any difficulties that express bus riders have had since the Staten Island express bus redesign. It remains in effect until further notice SYSTEM WIDE. Should you have additional questions, please ask here.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Ok, the SIM3C runs all day with no direct SIM3 service on MLK day even though the SIM34 and SIM35 are running. Those trips are going to be carrying very little during peak hours on MLK day.

They're not supposed to, as those buses are supposed to alternate (so an SIM3C shows up, followed by an SIM34, then an SIM3C, etc.). It's not entirely evenly scheduled, but it is scheduled in a way that there isn't an overlap (except for between the last SIM34 and the SIM3 proceeding it a minute later). It's falls off though with the SIM35, there is no even schedule there. Somewhat good for the downtown folks, but not too good for the Midtown folks. Those SIM3 folks will likely consider taking the SIM30 or SIM31 instead.

6 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

That's definitely good news. Now if only they would post it for the local routes which also have a reduced weekday schedule on that day.

6 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I agree, they should've just left it running as normal. I guess their logic is that traffic isn't as bad, so heading up 6th Avenue/Broadway isn't too much slower than taking the FDR (but then there's also the fact that it runs via Narrows Road which also adds a few minutes even without traffic)

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They're not supposed to, as those buses are supposed to alternate (so an SIM3C shows up, followed by an SIM34, then an SIM3C, etc.). It's not entirely evenly scheduled, but it is scheduled in a way that there isn't an overlap (except for between the last SIM34 and the SIM3 proceeding it a minute later). It's falls off though with the SIM35, there is no even schedule there. Somewhat good for the downtown folks, but not too good for the Midtown folks. Those SIM3 folks will likely consider taking the SIM30 or SIM31 instead.

In the PM, they tend to show up around the same time at Chambers, though.

The SIM8 is also an option for some SIM3 riders (drive or take the local bus to reach it).

Another minor thing I noticed is that the SIM35 doesn't have the State/Bridge timepoint on the MLK schedule.

And looking at the schedules for the Downtown SIM routes, I will say that traffic along lower Broadway has really eased up. Buses can do the trip in 10 minute flat a lot of the time, and they're giving them 16-19 minutes from Chambers Street to Battery Place for much of the PM rush. (Still better that the original schedules which gave them 15 minutes just to get from Chambers to Barclay).

20 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

QM4, QM5 and QM15 buses bunching on hourly headways, what a great site to see.......

IDK how buses can bunch on that long of headway but it needs to stop.

They're likely one inbound, and one outbound. Bustime tends to categorize them going in the same direction. In Manhattan, the outbound QM15 is scheduled to be 10 minutes ahead of the inbound bus. 

That first QM4 on 34th Street right now is likely going to the first pick up to start service on the outbound leg.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Just now, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They're likely one inbound, and one outbound. Bustime tends to categorize them going in the same direction. In Manhattan, the outbound QM15 is scheduled to be 10 minutes ahead of the inbound bus. However, both bus are running late (the outbound one is 12 minutes late).

That reduces it to only the QM4's bunching.

@Lil 57 Yeah BusTime has bugs. The buses back to Queens often come up as via 6th Av buses. They aren’t. When they reach 57th the sign on BusTime comes up correct, particularly on the QM4. I’ve been waniting for the Electchester Bus and have seen the sign correct on the bus, but incorrect on BusTime.