Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

26 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

What the Wi-Fi is, is basically an extension of your own cell phone signal, since its literally another cellular network you're connecting to.

Should've never been on the buses to begin with, in my opinion.

For people that have limited cell phone plans, apparently it comes in handy.  I haven't used it years (only did out of curiosity anyway) since I have a data plan for all of my devices. They should've waited to get feedback first instead of providing a limited window before they yank it. For what it's worth, they appear to plan on keeping Wi-Fi in the subway system, which they should, as you cannot get a signal on some subway platforms, so it would be fair to keep it on the buses as well or scrap the whole thing entirely.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For people that have limited cell phone plans, apparently it comes in handy.  I haven't used it years (only did out of curiosity anyway) since I have a data plan for all of my devices. They should've waited to get feedback first instead of providing a limited window before they yank it. For what it's worth, they appear to plan on keeping Wi-Fi in the subway system, which they should, as you cannot get a signal on some subway platforms, so it would be fair to keep it on the buses as well or scrap the whole thing entirely.

It's more used in the subway because of the network it uses. It's far more stable than what's on the buses and has better speeds. Some stations, you can get several hundred megabits per second during a session with no slowdowns.

The bus Wi-Fi may have been good for people with limited cell phone plans, but if you have garbage data signal on your phone, you're going to have the same experience, if not worse with the Wi-Fi, since it's essentially the same mobile networks being used(which most people don't realize, but still complains about it anyway).

19 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It's more used in the subway because of the network it uses. It's far more stable than what's on the buses and has better speeds. Some stations, you can get several hundred megabits per second during a session with no slowdowns.

The bus Wi-Fi may have been good for people with limited cell phone plans, but if you have garbage data signal on your phone, you're going to have the same experience, if not worse with the Wi-Fi, since it's essentially the same mobile networks being used(which most people don't realize, but still complains about it anyway).

I do agree that it's much better in the subway for the reasons you mentioned, but given how limited the Wi-Fi is on the express buses to begin with, the people that use it likely do so because they are on limited plans and will use it so long as they can remain connected. I mean you are not going to do any sort of heavy internet use on the Wi-Fi used on the express buses. Just not possible, so I guess it's for light browsing or doing work that doesn't require heavy internet use.

30 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I do agree that it's much better in the subway for the reasons you mentioned, but given how limited the Wi-Fi is on the express buses to begin with, the people that use it likely do so because they are on limited plans and will use it so long as they can remain connected. I mean you are not going to do any sort of heavy internet use on the Wi-Fi used on the express buses. Just not possible, so I guess it's for light browsing or doing work that doesn't require heavy internet use.

I (and I see a fair number of other riders) use our laptops on the bus to do work, and tethering to my phone (which is a new 5G phone) can be finicky. WHen the MTA wifi is working, it can sometimes be stronger/more stable than tethering to my phone. There are some dead spots where the MTA wifi still works but my cell loses signal temporarily (perhaps because the bus' antenna is outside the bus and high up? I don't know why, but I've experienced this many times). 

But I've noticed more and more buses where the wifi network won't even show up at all, even on brand new Prevosts. I wonder if they stopped doing any maintenance on it ahead of this sudden plan to drop it.

@Via Garibaldi 8 I;m going to fill out that poll now. Typical MTA to try and suddenly pull out a perk from nowhere. At least Cuomo, for all his numberous flaws, got the MTA to keep the wifi for a while longer

Edited by QM1to6Ave

31 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I (and I see a fair number of other riders) use our laptops on the bus to do work, and tethering to my phone (which is a new 5G phone) can be finicky. WHen the MTA wifi is working, it can sometimes be stronger/more stable than tethering to my phone. There are some dead spots where the MTA wifi still works but my cell loses signal temporarily (perhaps because the bus' antenna is outside the bus and high up? I don't know why, but I've experienced this many times). 

But I've noticed more and more buses where the wifi network won't even show up at all, even on brand new Prevosts. I wonder if they stopped doing any maintenance on it ahead of this sudden plan to drop it.

@Via Garibaldi 8 I;m going to fill out that poll now. Typical MTA to try and suddenly pull out a perk from nowhere. At least Cuomo, for all his numberous flaws, got the MTA to keep the wifi for a while longer

Since I don't have any idea of a specific date that they plan on yanking the Wi-Fi service aside from "mid January", I will follow-up with a phone call in the next few days with my contacts. E-mailed them earlier this morning.

As for Wi-Fi on the new express buses, I have heard from that from other riders. Very possible.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

What the Wi-Fi is, is basically an extension of your own cell phone signal, since its literally another cellular network you're connecting to.

Should've never been on the buses to begin with, in my opinion.

I agree with you 100%. It was useless. I stopped using it almost immediately after they put them on the buses. 

I saw the governor wants the CityTicket expanded to cover peak hours too: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-public-transit-expansions-increase-access-affordability-and-safety

Wonder if this is the nail in the coffin for certain at risk lines like the QM3 that run relatively close to the LIRR.

4 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I saw the governor wants the CityTicket expanded to cover peak hours too: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-hochul-announces-public-transit-expansions-increase-access-affordability-and-safety

Wonder if this is the nail in the coffin for certain at risk lines like the QM3 that run relatively close to the LIRR.

It sounds great, but for someone that alternates between the MNRR and the express bus, I still don't use it that much just because there is no transfer included for CityTicket and there are too many restrictions aside from the limited places the MNRR goes. I'm sure it won't be $5.00 during peak periods either.  If I'm doing a quick errand in the City, I can get by on $6.75 taking one express bus in and transferring to another to get back home.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

RE: Wi-Fi, I spoke to the (MTA) today... Wi-Fi was actually supposed to be pulled earlier this week on ALL buses (local & express). I was told that it will be pulled TOMORROW (Saturday).  This decision was made due to very low usage and while I argued that there should've been more notice, this is where we are. I was encouraged to have people provide formal feedback with the (MTA) via the feedback link below:

https://contact.mta.info/s/customer-feedback

I may start a petition later on.

Here are the Special Schedules for tomorrow.  I didn't get the link for this until yesterday... Better late than never...

https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus

They forgot to add the SIM4C, but I believe the other express bus lines should be there.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Here are the Special Schedules for tomorrow.  I didn't get the link for this until yesterday... Better late than never...

https://new.mta.info/schedules/bus

They forgot to add the SIM4C, but I believe the other express bus lines should be there.

The schedule should be the same as Day After Thanksgiving: http://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/https://new.mta.info/document/99766

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone note any weird issues with the Stop Requested bell system on the newer Prevosts?  I was on one yesterday and the bell kept ringing at random intervals even though no one was pressing it.  And the Stop Requested signal on the screen wouldn't clear when the driver opened the door at the bus stop.  So we just had to revert to folk just yelling out "next stop" in order to get off or standing near the front.

3 hours ago, 7-express said:

Anyone note any weird issues with the Stop Requested bell system on the newer Prevosts?  I was on one yesterday and the bell kept ringing at random intervals even though no one was pressing it.  And the Stop Requested signal on the screen wouldn't clear when the driver opened the door at the bus stop.  So we just had to revert to folk just yelling out "next stop" in order to get off or standing near the front.

I had a conference call with the (MTA) last Thursday and we discussed the latest with the stop requested saga... Again... So, as you may recall, the screens were not programmed properly from the start, so when ads played and someone rang the bell, there was no acknowledgement of the stop being requested until the bus was literally at the stop, which created tons of confusion and people running to the front to make sure their stop wasn't skipped, and in some cases, it was skipped, as the driver apparently only realizes that the bell has been rung when they hear the "STOP REQUESTED" audio played.  Anyway, before Sarah Meyer left she reached out to me in private and I mentioned that this was something that needed to be fixed.  

Well they finally got around to reprogramming the screens, but now the stop requested display remains even after the stop has been made.  I am not quite sure yet how they plan on addressing this, but they are aware of it.  As for your issue, I have experienced this as well. That is not a malfunction.  It's usually someone sitting in one of the wheelchair aisles next to the window and unknowingly pressing up against one of the "STOP REQUESTED" buttons or strips.  That's the only time I've seen that happen and the driver got up and asked the person to move away from the bell. On older buses it sometimes happens when if the driver hit lots of potholes.

-------

@Lawrence St The BxM3 stop by Kingsbridge Rd going to Midtown has been addressed with new signage. The 84th & Madison stop is still pending. Those were the only two you asked about, right?

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 Once the I-87 reconstruction project has been completed with more lanes, have there been any talks of adding an HOV lane for buses?

I've had this discussion back in early 2019 with Assemblyman Dinowitz at his office. The issue with the Deegan is that it is too narrow in some stretches to install one. He did however write to the State DOT on my behalf and the construction being done actually should alleviate some of the back-ups that exist today, particularly those stemming from the GWB issues. Once that work is complete, traffic should flow better overall, allowing the express buses to move better.

49694564_10215622992060317_3865619099253

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Now I have a headache, who designated these highways??

:lol:. There’s an incomplete highway system so it adds to the confusion.

Technically, the current I-287 should be I-295 (or start with an even digit) since it connects to I-95 at both ends (at NJTP Exit 10 and in Rye near the CT Border. (Even though it was supposed to continue across Long Island Sound along current NY-135 to the Wantagh State Parkway)) 

The current I-278 also connects to I-95 at both ends, so that could be I-295 or I-495, etc, (or, they could extend I-87 from the Major Deegan Expressway, down the BQE and SIE to NJ.)

1 hour ago, N6 Limited said:

The Cross-Westchester Expressway is I-287 

As you surely know, I didn't write the letter. The Assemblyman's office did, and yes you are correct, but for some reason, I have seen I-278 used for the Bruckner as well. In any event, not sure why the Bruckner was even mentioned, as we only discussed the Deegan and the area where it becomes narrow and the GWB.  Maybe he felt it necessary to try to alleviate congestion throughout the Deegan, but in any event, it has been better.  Just a question of when the work will finally be complete.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:01 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

As you surely know, I didn't write the letter. The Assemblyman's office did, and yes you are correct, but for some reason, I have seen I-278 used for the Bruckner as well. In any event, not sure why the Bruckner was even mentioned, as we only discussed the Deegan and the area where it becomes narrow and the GWB.  Maybe he felt it necessary to try to alleviate congestion throughout the Deegan, but in any event, it has been better.  Just a question of when the work will finally be complete.

I-278 is the Bruckner...you've seen it used because that's what it is.

He mentioned the Bruckner as the termination point of I-87. The area in question is between I-278 (Bruckner Expressway)  and I-95 (Cross-Bronx Expressway).

That being said, it was a simple typo transposing the two numbers (278 vs. 287). I'm pretty sure he knows that I-278 is the Bruckner Expressway (and also the BQE, Gowanus Expressway, and Staten Island Expressway).

On 1/30/2023 at 1:28 PM, N6 Limited said:

The Cross-Westchester Expressway is I-287 

Correction.... I made a typo... I meant to write that I've seen the Bruckner referred to as I-287 on a number of occasions. Not sure why that is.

https://urbanedge.propertycapsule.com/web/property/68a63fb317c5f1a0e54f730b2898d9f2-a0f4d791b871b46d933954e204bffcc5#overview