Move Flushing buses to Willets Pt?

shiznit1987

I hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgiving. I just wanted to submit a proposal:

Would it be a good idea to have some of the current Flushing-area buses stop at a new Transit Center @ Willets Point? Rather than weave thru downtown Flushing, have the Q12/Q13/Q28 continue down Northern then turn left on College Point Blvd, right on Roosevelt and terminate at Willets Point (7). The Q15/Q16 would also turn down Northern and College Point as well. The Q17/Q27 would be extended to the new TC. The Q66/Q19 also can turn down 108st and then Roosevelt to meet up there. The Q58 would run up National St from Corona Ave then take Roosevelt. The Q59 would be extended down Horace Harding then head up 108st and Roosevelt to Willets Pt. The Q44/Q25/Q65 would remain unchanged. 

From a transfer standpoint, at least on paper it looks like a good idea IMO..I have no idea how busy Northern Boulevard gets during the rush hours, nor do I know how busy it would get by rerouting all those buses down Northern Blvd. It looks like you're splitting the load between Flushing (20A, 20B, 25, 26, 34, 44 SBS, 48, 50, 65) and Willets (12, 13, 15, 15A, 16, 17, 19, 27, 48, 58, 66) which decentralizes everything but it's not like every bus shared the same exact terminal location anyway.

For routes coming from the south like the 17 and 27, you may have some trouble convincing people to ride all the way to Willets. As it is Main Street and Kissena are pretty bad and having them squeeze through the bad traffic even further may not be too appealing. Plus people may/probably will still bail at Flushing before the buses even get to WIllets anyway...

Only glaring issue I have is that the Q59 doesn't need to be any longer than it already is. That route is unreliable and prone to bunching and any extension, especially something of that magnitude and up the congested 108 Street will make it even more painful to ride. If you want to go from Grand Avenue to Flushing, then take the Q58.

26 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Would it be a good idea to have some of the current Flushing-area buses stop at a new Transit Center @ Willets Point? Rather than weave thru downtown Flushing, have the Q12/Q13/Q28 continue down Northern then turn left on College Point Blvd, right on Roosevelt and terminate at Willets Point (7). The Q15/Q16 would also turn down Northern and College Point as well. The Q17/Q27 would be extended to the new TC. The Q66/Q19 also can turn down 108st and then Roosevelt to meet up there. The Q58 would run up National St from Corona Ave then take Roosevelt. The Q59 would be extended down Horace Harding then head up 108st and Roosevelt to Willets Pt. The Q44/Q25/Q65 would remain unchanged. 

Depends on how it's done. A connection to the LGA may be fine, but if you put a transit center in the middle of nowhere (which is what willets point is outside of baseball games) then it isn't worth it.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, shiznit1987 said:

What specific service problem are you trying to solve with all of this?

On 11/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, shiznit1987 said:

I tried proposing this as a Bus terminal for certain routes and a short turn for other routes. (since Casey Stengel is there).  That looks good on paper but on practice, not so much

On 11/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, shiznit1987 said:

Roosevelt to Willets Point would be just as slow. Not to mention, for people traveling within Queens and transferring buses at Flushing, this easily adds ten to twenty minutes to their travel time.

29 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Roosevelt to Willets Point would be just as slow. Not to mention, for people traveling within Queens and transferring buses at Flushing, this easily adds ten to twenty minutes to their travel time.

If you're referring to Roosevelt Avenue, then yes it's definitely be slowed down. Also some buses can be rerouted via northern Blvd and reach the terminal that way, but that would mean that more flushing service is gone. 

In theory, it could make sense since it brings buses to the front door of Casey Stengel Depot, and you also have service to SkyView Center. However, the problem is that you lose service to the ADA-compliant Main Street.

To serve SkyView, I would propose instead to extend the Q12, Q13, Q15/A, and Q27 (which would swap routes with the Q26 in south Flushing - the Q26 getting midday, early evening, and Saturday service restored) to SkyView, terminating at Roosevelt and College Point Boulevard.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:43 PM, aemoreira81 said:

In theory, it could make sense since it brings buses to the front door of Casey Stengel Depot, and you also have service to SkyView Center. However, the problem is that you lose service to the ADA-compliant Main Street.

To serve SkyView, I would propose instead to extend the Q12, Q13, Q15/A, and Q27 (which would swap routes with the Q26 in south Flushing - the Q26 getting midday, early evening, and Saturday service restored) to SkyView, terminating at Roosevelt and College Point Boulevard.

Willets Point will become ADA accessible as part of the LGA AirTrain project.

On 11/28/2018 at 11:43 PM, aemoreira81 said:

The area around Skyview is already crowded and congested as it is, why would you even bring buses to there? The walk from Skyview to Main Street Station isn't even that long either. It's like 3 blocks.

On 11/28/2018 at 5:21 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

If you're referring to Roosevelt Avenue, then yes it's definitely be slowed down. Also some buses can be rerouted via northern Blvd and reach the terminal that way, but that would mean that more flushing service is gone. 

Flushing service is gone and you also lose convenient transfers to buses.

Let's say you want to take the Q15 to the Q17. Today that is very convenient. Moving the transfer point to Willets makes these kind of north-south Queens trips take longer because of the extra diversion west.

Archived