OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

No way does MC end in 2024. 

It was already stated by the MTA that MetroCard will be around into 2025.  I assume next year is the inflection point to put more momentum into converting the remaining MetroCard users to OMNY.  If OMNY/Cubic can get their programming straightened out.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

It was already stated by the MTA that MetroCard will be around into 2025.  I assume next year is the inflection point to put more momentum into converting the remaining MetroCard users to OMNY.  If OMNY/Cubic can get their programming straightened out.

Yes I see I was thinking it should be around 2025 and not 2024 but I don't know why the manger of OMNY said that.  Yes I agree next year will be the "inflection point" to get people to switch to OMNY.  Hopefully OMNY/Cubic can straightened things out correctly next year.

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

No way does MC end in 2024. 

I don't know why the OMNY manager rep said that to me and he said in 2024 but it should be in 2025 and they have to implement it for the LIRR and MNR too so it should give them enough time to implement for the LIRR and the MNR or if something goes wrong then it's delayed again.

2 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Why do they have to implelment it on LIRR and MN if Metrocard goes away ? 

I don't see making everyone tap in and out at every station as something the public will accept, then stick stanchions up everywhere. 

I remember they want OMNY seamlessly to be able to transfer to Subway, Bus, LIRR and MNR so that is why they implement it.  The public doesn't want the Metro card to away and now they will have to accept OMNY card. If the MTA want everyone to tap in an out just for the MNR and LIRR so they can automatic calculate the fare zones then the public has to do it just like other countries they do it. In London people tap in and out and if MTA does that to the MNR and LIRR I think the public will get use to it because other countries are doing that too.  We have to see what the MTA does about OMNY for the MNR and LIRR. If they do a tap in and tap out at every station then that will be it.  In BC Canada they do a tap in and tap out at every station. I remember when i went to BC Vancouver I had to tap in and tap out.  I got use to it.  If the MTA does that and people forgot to tap out I am sure there will be a charge or something because in BC Vancouver the Translink their if you forgot to tap out then it will calculate and deduct the fare in the stored value difference.

Edited by mikecintel

9 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I remember they want OMNY seamlessly to be able to transfer to Subway, Bus, LIRR and MNR so that is why they implement it.  The public doesn't want the Metro card to away and now they will have to accept OMNY card. If the MTA want everyone to tap in an out just for the MNR and LIRR so they can automatic calculate the fare zones then the public has to do it just like other countries they do it. In London people tap in and out and if MTA does that to the MNR and LIRR I think the public will get use to it because other countries are doing that too.  We have to see what the MTA does about OMNY for the MNR and LIRR. If they do a tap in and tap out at every station then that will be it.  In BC Canada they do a tap in and tap out at every station. I remember when i went to BC Vancouver I had to tap in and tap out.  I got use to it.  If the MTA does that and people forgot to tap out I am sure there will be a charge or something because in BC Vancouver the Translink their if you forgot to tap out then it will calculate and deduct the fare in the stored value difference.

Nobody cares what they do in other countries, or even Philadelphia. Taking time to queue up to tap out at stations won't be tolerated. 

• 2 weeks later...

I called OMNY rep to see when the Reduce Physical OMNY cards will be sent and they said it was send at the end of December so  the Reduce Physical OMNY card will arrived in a couple of weeks.  When my parents get it I will post it here.

4 hours ago, mikecintel said:

I called OMNY rep to see when the Reduce Physical OMNY cards will be sent and they said it was send at the end of December so  the Reduce Physical OMNY card will arrived in a couple of weeks.  When my parents get it I will post it here.

Waiting for that to happen so we see Access A Ride OMNY readers and then elderly/disabled and student..

Hi Everyone,

I just read METRO CARD WILL BE RETIRED AT THE END OF THIS YEAR.  The articles are below:

https://lavocedinewyork.com/en/new-york/2024/01/09/say-goodbye-to-metro-card-as-it-is-phased-out-omni-is-coming-to-the-mta/

Say Goodbye to Metro Card as it is Phased Out, OMNI is Coming to the MTA

No more fumbling at the ticket machine, just tap and go

New Yorkers, say goodbye forever to your Metro Cards. This relic of outdated technology will be fully phased out this year in favor of OMNY, according to the MTA.

First rolled out in 2019 as a test, OMNI has expanded steadily throughout the system, now it will totally replace the Metro Card.

For those not yet in the know, OMNY is a contactless fare payment system that is being implemented for use throughout public transit in the New York metropolitan area. The name stands for One Metro New York, and it plays off the word “omni”, meaning “all”. OMNY allows riders to tap their smartphone, smartwatch or a contactless chip credit or debit card to pay for their fare, instead of swiping a MetroCard. OMNY is currently available at all subway stations and on all buses in New York City.

OMNY has reached 1 billion taps since it was first launched in 2019. The  OMNY has now been installed at all MTA train stations, buses, and on the Staten Island Railway.

OMNY will also be installed on the Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road. The MTA plans to launch a new mobile ticketing option in the OMNY mobile app, replacing the eTix app that commuters use. New physical tickets will also be rolled out at vending machines and ticket offices.

Riders on New York City’s subways, buses, Roosevelt Island Tram, and JFK AirTrain can tap their payment at the turnstile with OMNY, using their bank card, an OMNY card or their phone if they have the express transit card set up in their digital wallet.

Benefits of OMNY include: Free transfers.  Use the same card or device for both legs of your trip to get a free transfer.

Free trips. Pay for 12 rides using the same card or device in a 7-day period, and all additional rides within the week are free. Learn more here.

https://pix11.com/news/transit/metrocards-to-be-phased-out-replaced-by-omny-in-2024/

MetroCards to be phased out, replaced by OMNY in 2024

OMNY has reached 1 billion taps since it was first launched in 2019. OMNY has been installed at all MTA train stations, buses, and on the Staten Island Railway.

OMNY will also be installed on the Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road. The MTA plans to launch a new mobile ticketing option in the OMNY mobile app, replacing the eTix app that commuters use. New physical tickets will also be rolled out at vending machines and ticket offices.

Riders on New York City’s subways, buses, Roosevelt Island Tram, and JFK AirTrain can tap their payment at the turnstile with OMNY, using their bank card, an OMNY card or their phone if they have the express transit card set up in their digital wallet.

I am sure the MTA will make a press conference about this soon.

Edited by mikecintel

The same thing was posted by PIX11.  Seems like a regurgitated post that some bot/AI is churning out that's not based on anything new.  It was already previously documented that MetroCard would stick around till 2025.

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

The same thing was posted by PIX11.  Seems like a regurgitated post that some bot/AI is churning out that's not based on anything new.  It was already previously documented that MetroCard would stick around till 2025.

Yes but I called the MTA and they said it is this year but "does not have a set date yet".  You know how the MTA likes to play with people minds.  They said this but and then it ends up being different.  This is why i never believe the MTA at all what ever they say and I just take a grain of salt.

Edited by mikecintel

They can hasten the process by stopping the silliness that one must have a senior Metrocard in order to get a senior OMNY account. I had to get one, which took months by mail, it will never see the light of day, only to use its serial number to apply to OMNY for my debit card. 

So they require a new Metrocard to convert to OMNY, while they are trying to get rid of Metrocard infrastucture. Makes sense only in MTA 

40 minutes ago, Amtrak41 said:

They can hasten the process by stopping the silliness that one must have a senior Metrocard in order to get a senior OMNY account. I had to get one, which took months by mail, it will never see the light of day, only to use its serial number to apply to OMNY for my debit card. 

So they require a new Metrocard to convert to OMNY, while they are trying to get rid of Metrocard infrastucture. Makes sense only in MTA 

Yes before they did require you to have a Metrocard and then you can convert to OMNY but now I don't for people who didn't have reduce fare card and when they apply I think they will get OMNY instantly.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I contacted OMNY about a tapping issue but also asked them when it would be possible to view my trip history again.  The rep didn't know and it seemed like it might be a while until that functionality comes back.

16 hours ago, 7-express said:

FWIW, I contacted OMNY about a tapping issue but also asked them when it would be possible to view my trip history again.  The rep didn't know and it seemed like it might be a while until that functionality comes back.

Yes I see it is like me calling the reps about when the senior reduce fare physical OMNY card will be mail and they don't even know when they will mail it.  Also they don't even know when all the OMNY vending machines will be install at all the 472 stations.