OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

My pass is good until 3/31/2026

Is this on Auto Pay or a brand new Metro card?  I will get my new metro card on March 31,2024 and let's see what it says.  If it says till 2026 then I think there will be more time with the Metro Cards. Hmmmm

Edited by mikecintel

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

My MetroCard is good until 1/2025, but it was a single ride, so now I get to keep it for eternity and never use it again! Yippee!

Yes a piece of Metro Card history.  I wonder what it cost in future if you decided to sell that or any metro card.  It will be "retro metro card" then and let's say hmmmm 30 years from now? Hmmm

4 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

I have two metro cards: one expires in 1/2025 and the other one in 5/2025.

Hmmm then the other metro card is a new expiration date. I have to see when I get mine in March 31,2024 when exchange it. I also have another metro card which expires December 31,2024. Let see when that expires at the end of the year and when I exchange for a new one let's see if there will be a new expiration date past May 2025 then we will know when the metro card is really decommissioned.

6 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Hmmm then the other metro card is a new expiration date. I have to see when I get mine in March 31,2024 when exchange it. I also have another metro card which expires December 31,2024. Let see when that expires at the end of the year and when I exchange for a new one let's see if there will be a new expiration date past May 2025 then we will know when the metro card is really decommissioned.

Okay.

Transferring from one debit card to another with a Senior account. 

It is easy enough to add a payment method, but shifting senior status from one card to the other requires a call to Customer sevrice, then wait 2 business days for it to take effect. 

29 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

I got an omny card today, problem is that I don’t know where the year expiration date is at???? Can anyone explain this for me, thank you

The Card expiration date is at the back of the card where the bar code is.  It says card # and CVV# and finally it says "Card Exp 08/28".

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

The Card expiration date is at the back of the card where the bar code is.  It says card # and CVV# and finally it says "Card Exp 08/28".

Yeah but there is no year like metro cards have, I was trying to login with omny on the website and check the balance….. something like that, I still have no idea how it works🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Yeah but there is no year like metro cards have, I was trying to login with omny on the website and check the balance….. something like that, I still have no idea how it works🤷‍♂️

The year would be as in my example Aug 8 and the 28 stands for the year 2028.

5 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Mine says 07/29, does that mean July 2029 or July 29th

It means July 2029. It has 5 years to expire when your OMNY card. If you buy at retails it expires 7 year since your purchase date.  I remember that the MTA when they first introduced the OMNY card and you had to purchase at the retail stores they said 7 years. But then they started the OMNY vending machine last year and then they said it's for 5 years then it will expire so it shortened 2 years by retail stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I just exchanged my Metro Card that expires today and the new Metro Card says it will expire on Aug 31, 2025. I have one more card to exchange and that will be Dec 31, 2024.  Let's see if there will be any new expiration date then.  Will post about that then when I do exchange the other Metro Card in December.

45 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

169th Street have received a vending machine near the 168th Street exit.

OK great so that means it is "slowly" rolling out.  Let's see if it is completed by the end of 2024 which I doubt.  I think 2025 is more likely to finished deploying OMNY machines.

24 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

OK great so that means it is "slowly" rolling out.  Let's see if it is completed by the end of 2024 which I doubt.  I think 2025 is more likely to finished deploying OMNY machines.

Most of us in the real world don't care how long it takes as long as they're making progress in some form. They can do it for the rest of the decade for all we know...... 

26 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Most of us in the real world don't care how long it takes as long as they're making progress in some form. They can do it for the rest of the decade for all we know...... 

So true. Yes that is right.

Posted (edited)

Are they ever going to get Trip History working again as on every other system, or is that beyond their competency ?

This whole thing is London's Oyster Card, which has a far more complex fare system and is not brand new technology.

Edited by Amtrak41

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

Are they ever going to get Trip History working again as on every other system, or is that beyond their competency ?

This whole thing is London's Oyster Card, which has a far more complex fare system and is not brand new technology.

Not sure why they took it away, all they had to do was limit it to signed in accounts.

3 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Just got an email a few minutes ago, Easypay will be permanently ending in the beginning of July. Reloads will be turned off in May. They will mail letters and include an OMNY card. It's not clear if the balance will automatically transfer or not.

Dear EasyPayXpress Customer:

In the next few months, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) will be ending the EasyPayXpress program as part of the transition to the MTA's new contactless fare payment system, known as OMNY. You can already use contactless fare payment at subway turnstiles and AutoGates, onboard buses, the Roosevelt Island Tram, and at AirTrain. In the next few years, contactless fare payment will fully replace MetroCard and allow for fare payment and ticketing across subways, buses, Access-A-Ride paratransit, and MTA commuter rail. Contactless payment has many of the same benefits as EasyPay, and provides a convenient, fast, accessible way to pay your transit fare.

If you prefer to use OMNY like the way you use EasyPay, we have included an OMNY card for your convenience. You can register for an OMNY account and set up your credit or debit card to automatically reload your OMNY account (instructions below).

Here is what you need to know about this transition:

After 5/17/24, your EasyPayXpress account will no longer automatically replenish.

You will then have an additional 45 days, until 7/1/24 to use any remaining balance on your account.

Account balances of less than $2.90 may be used to cover one ride, after which the account will have a zero balance.

The program will end on 7/2/24 (approximately 90 days from the date of this notice) and at that time your EasyPayXpress MetroCard will no longer be usable to pay a transit fare.

If you have any questions, please contact the EasyPay Account Service Center online at easypaymetrocard.com or call 877-323-7433.

So much for 2026, but what I don't understand is what about other agencies like NICE and Bee Line, are they getting their OMNY readers installed by then?

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

So much for 2026, but what I don't understand is what about other agencies like NICE and Bee Line, are they getting their OMNY readers installed by then?

Next board update on OMNY is April. Guess we'll find out then

Also announced this week with the Metropolitan-Lorimer elevator openings are special OMNY subway transfer readers due to the configuration of the station. Someone can probably link a pic from MTA site, twitter, or flickr

Regarding about EasyPayXpress Customer they are lucky because they will not have to pay for an OMNY card and they will get it for FREE.  I can't wait for the April meeting regarding about OMNY.  I "think" that would be the last meeting about OMNY because in the CPC book for the future meeting dates they didn't mention anything about OMNY anymore.