OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

I love the omny card now, I don’t need to insert the card inside the machine like the metrocard, I just scan it right through, I’m taking advantage now using it since the people in my area barely use the omny machines at Junction Blvd (7), I don’t need to wait in those long lines anymore :) 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Regarding about EasyPayXpress Customer they are lucky because they will not have to pay for an OMNY card and they will get it for FREE.  I can't wait for the April meeting regarding about OMNY.  I "think" that would be the last meeting about OMNY because in the CPC book for the future meeting dates they didn't mention anything about OMNY anymore.

Yay *checks wallet* now I’ll have 3 cards one for $5, another for $1, and the last for free. None of which I even use because I just tap on with my watch.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Yay *checks wallet* now I’ll have 3 cards one for $5, another for $1, and the last for free. None of which I even use because I just tap on with my watch.

That's great you have 3 cards.  I have 3 cards but I bought them for $1.  The other 2 cards I had I lost them so.  Total is $10 I paid for it. Ugh!.  Keep it for spare and besides when the MTA has a 2nd generation of OMNY cards which I think they in the future but a very long time that will happen.  You can keep those 3 cards as a memorabilia when the 2nd generation starts whenever we it will be produced.  You can also "sell them" if you have not use it and it is not registered.

Posted (edited)

If you are a senior, only one bank card (don't know about actual OMNY card) can be stated as such. If you change cards, call customer service, and it will take a couple of days.

Edited by Amtrak41

On 4/3/2024 at 8:27 PM, mikecintel said:

That's great you have 3 cards.  I have 3 cards but I bought them for $1.  The other 2 cards I had I lost them so.  Total is $10 I paid for it. Ugh!.  Keep it for spare and besides when the MTA has a 2nd generation of OMNY cards which I think they in the future but a very long time that will happen.  You can keep those 3 cards as a memorabilia when the 2nd generation starts whenever we it will be produced.  You can also "sell them" if you have not use it and it is not registered.

Yeah, I'll probably hold on to it and give it to someone else.

36 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Yeah, I'll probably hold on to it and give it to someone else.

Yes just like the Metro Card it will become history but it will take a while to be history.  They should make color OMNY cards instead of plain B&W just like Metro Cards.

5 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Not gonna lie I kinda like the black and white... The design is minimalist in a good way

I see. I think it is dull and plain.  I like it colorful.  I feel it's so better and it is lively and yes I know it is only a card.

20 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Not gonna lie I kinda like the black and white... The design is minimalist in a good way

So why is Metrocard, and with all those theme issuances, and that RTS bus so colorful ? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 8:36 AM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

OMNY bus should be a Orion NG..

Nah. It should be a restored GM Greyhound Scenicruiser. They had personality and CLASS. 

Edited by Amtrak41

11 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

There was also one put in at Wall St (2)(3) a while back. Not sure if it's turned on yet.

I see.  The Main Street one is turned on today I saw it when heading or work today 4-24-24.  Yesterday 4-23-24 when I got to Main street and head home I saw the MTA contractors was working on the machine probably to turn it on and see if everything is working.  Looks like the OMNY machines are finally rolling.  BTW it is scheduled to be completed in 2025.  I went to OMNY.info and it says

"OMNY rollout completion

The rollout of OMNY will occur in phases until OMNY is available everywhere for everyone."

Here are the "active" OMNY vending machines that are available: https://new.mta.info/article/introducing-omny-vending-machines

Edited by mikecintel

14 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Update there are a total of 4 OMNY machines at Main Street Flushing on my way home from work I saw 4 OMNY machines but I think contractors are working on the them.  That's pretty quick how they set that up.

Flushing Main Street was put on the MTA website as being active on 4/25/2024.  That station has the most Metrocard usage and the media covered the issues with the Metrocard machines.  MTA finally got it done.  There are a ton of machines for OMNY that still haven’t been activated which are in the stations and those will get done.  They need to add the rest of the fare options and come out with a Digital OMNY Card as well.  

1 hour ago, AJ023 said:

Flushing Main Street was put on the MTA website as being active on 4/25/2024.  That station has the most Metrocard usage and the media covered the issues with the Metrocard machines.  MTA finally got it done.  There are a ton of machines for OMNY that still haven’t been activated which are in the stations and those will get done.  They need to add the rest of the fare options and come out with a Digital OMNY Card as well.  

I see.  Yes that station has the most Metro card usage and that way a lot of people can "convert" to the OMNY system.  The website https://new.mta.info/article/introducing-omny-vending-machines is a good resource because it tells you what station has OMNY and is active.  For the Flushing Main Street there are still Metro Card machines and they are located at the Dunkin Donuts entrance and Asian Bakery entrance that still has Metro Card machines. I guess they will be installing OMNY machines soon at those entrances soon.  I wonder when the reduce fare physical OMNY cards will be sent to senior that are on that program.

Edited by mikecintel

Sigh.....I just went to the MTA website to look at next week board meting and they will NOT talk about OMNY...ugh. I was looking forward to the meeting...oh well...  This is what they have in the CPC book. I'll will wait till next month.

II. Specific Agenda Items
May 2024
President’s Update
OMNY

June 2024
President’s Update
Rolling Stock
Diversity
Quarterly Traffic Light Report

July 2024
President’s Update
Integrated Projects

September 2024
President’s Update
Agency Initiatives

October 2024
President’s Update
Stations

November 2024
President’s Update
Railroads

December 2024
President’s Update
Bridges & Tunnels

Year of 2025 meetings

January 2025
President’s Update
Infrastructure

February 2025
President’s Update
Agency Initiatives

March 2025
President’s Update
Signals

April 2025
President’s Update
System

On 4/25/2024 at 12:55 PM, mikecintel said:

I see.  Yes that station has the most Metro card usage and that way a lot of people can "convert" to the OMNY system.  The website https://new.mta.info/article/introducing-omny-vending-machines is a good resource because it tells you what station has OMNY and is active.  For the Flushing Main Street there are still Metro Card machines and they are located at the Dunkin Donuts entrance and Asian Bakery entrance that still has Metro Card machines. I guess they will be installing OMNY machines soon at those entrances soon.  I wonder when the reduce fare physical OMNY cards will be sent to senior that are on that program.

My grandfather just got a new senior Metrocard a week ago in the mail, and the letter is very vague about when an OMNY card will be mailed. They are pushing hard to have people link a card/phone/watch to their senior account. As if my grandfather and his elderly pals want to do that LOL

They also dont tell you which booths are still doing transactions to transfer over the old card onto the new one. I had to look it up for him online

Edited by QM1to6Ave

9 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My grandfather just got a new senior Metrocard a week ago in the mail, and the letter is very vague about when an OMNY card will be mailed. They are pushing hard to have people link a card/phone/watch to their senior account. As if my grandfather and his elderly pals want to do that LOL

They also dont tell you which booths are still doing transactions to transfer over the old card onto the new one. I had to look it up for him online

I see about your grandfather.  Oh wow they are still giving out Metro cards to seniors still....unreal.  But they tell people to switch to OMNY cards.  Not all people have smart phones and smart watches like elders.  They probably have basic phones like flip phones.  Guess we will wait.  Now we have to wait for another month for the meeting about OMNY ugh.  I wish this can be done with about OMNY and be switched already.

On 4/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, mikecintel said:

I see about your grandfather.  Oh wow they are still giving out Metro cards to seniors still....unreal.  But they tell people to switch to OMNY cards.  Not all people have smart phones and smart watches like elders.  They probably have basic phones like flip phones.  Guess we will wait.  Now we have to wait for another month for the meeting about OMNY ugh.  I wish this can be done with about OMNY and be switched already.

I saw EasyPay was also not an option for all new senior MetroCard applicants now that the EasyPay program is sunsetting.  They'll just get a reduced fare MetroCard and have to refill at a machine.  The MTA really is in a weird grey zone keeping the MetroCard limping around but not ramping up OMNY offerings.

On 4/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, mikecintel said:

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

I saw EasyPay was also not an option for all new senior MetroCard applicants now that the EasyPay program is sunsetting.  They'll just get a reduced fare MetroCard and have to refill at a machine.  The MTA really is in a weird grey zone keeping the MetroCard limping around but not ramping up OMNY offerings.

As @Kamen Rider and other MTA employees have posted, there's seemingly no sign of the Employee Pass being switched over to OMNY, and until that happens, the metrocard tech has to stay around or the whole employee system will fall apart. But they don't advertise that to the public. 

Edited by QM1to6Ave

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

I agree with you and most of the time the Metro card machines are not working or it says "Bill not accepted" or only "single rides only" and the mini metro card machines are taken  away.  People will have a hard time finding a working metro card machines now.