OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

22 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

They probably won't raise the fee back to $5 until some time after all stations have the machines. Should give time for more people who need the card to get it.

I hope so. Then the MTA should make it clear and not says there is a 30 days pilot program and you can get the OMNY card for $1.  They should specify when it the last day you can buy an OMNY card for $1.  Anyway, I planning to get my OMNY card from the vending machine next month before the 30 day pilot ends.  Who knows what the MTA might do. They are like the KING who can do anything they want as you know  :lol:.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this out if you are buying a OMNY card from a retail store and they give you $4 credit "for a limited of time".  MTA did not say yesterday when they were talking about the OMNY machines.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/first-omny-card-machines-roll-out-replace-metrocards#google_vignette

"OMNY Cards will be available for $1, rather than the typical $5, for a limited time at OMNY vending machines, officials said. People who buy them from retailers will get $4 in ride credit for a limited time, they said."

Edited by mikecintel

On 10/31/2023 at 11:20 AM, mikecintel said:

Just found this out if you are buying a OMNY card from a retail store and they give you $4 credit "for a limited of time".  MTA did not say yesterday when they were talking about the OMNY machines.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/first-omny-card-machines-roll-out-replace-metrocards#google_vignette

"OMNY Cards will be available for $1, rather than the typical $5, for a limited time at OMNY vending machines, officials said. People who buy them from retailers will get $4 in ride credit for a limited time, they said."

Maybe this the time to get a backup card. 🤔

On 10/31/2023 at 11:20 AM, mikecintel said:

Glitch in the process:  Just as we're not allowed to combine MetroCards, we're also not allowed to move balances from MetroCard to OMNY.

5 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Yeah, My first card cracked somehow and became useless. So a backup may make sense.

Actually now I think about it I will get 3 OMNY cards :lol: since it's only $1 and it beats paying $5 for a OMNY card!  I wonder if I can add $1 and then pay the $1 fee to buy the card and the total would be $2 on the card?  I will post here when I do buy the OMNY card from the vending machine when I do buy it so I can let everyone know on this forum how it went.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:34 AM, mikecintel said:

Actually now I think about it I will get 3 OMNY cards :lol: since it's only $1 and it beats paying $5 for a OMNY card!  I wonder if I can add $1 and then pay the $1 fee to buy the card and the total would be $2 on the card?  I will post here when I do buy the OMNY card from the vending machine when I do buy it so I can let everyone know on this forum how it went.

I went to an OMNY Vending machine, if you purchase a card and add the $1 minimum, the total will be $2.

The machines are straight forward to use. I didn’t purchase a backup card yet, but I added value to my card. Once you select add value to card,  you tap the OMNY Card once for your card info to display, select how you’re going to pay, and once you add cash or use your credit card it’s done. You don’t have to tap the OMNY Card again.

The receipts are longer than the ones from MVMs.

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I went to an OMNY Vending machine, if you purchase a card and add the $1 minimum, the total will be $2.

The machines are straight forward to use. I didn’t purchase a backup card yet, but I added value to my card. Once you select add value to card,  you tap the OMNY Card once for your card info to display, select how you’re going to pay, and once you add cash or use your credit card it’s done. You don’t have to tap the OMNY Card again.

The receipts are longer than the ones from MVMs.

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.  OK that great I can add $1 and then the purchase price will be $1 now as temporary as a promo from the MTA for now.  I have to try it this month when I get a chance but thank you for telling me ahead of time.  Will post my experience when I go to the vending machine but I expect to be very easy to use just like the Metro Card Machines as you said.  About the receipts I have to see it.  WOW it's longer the Metro Card Metro Card Vending Machines?  Probably it has a lot of info on it. I'll see it when I do purchase the 3 OMNY cards when I have a chance.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:34 AM, mikecintel said:

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.  OK that great I can add $1 and then the purchase price will be $1 now as temporary as a promo from the MTA for now.  I have to try it this month when I get a chance but thank you for telling me ahead of time.  Will post my experience when I go to the vending machine but I expect to be very easy to use just like the Metro Card Machines as you said.  About the receipts I have to see it.  WOW it's longer the Metro Card Metro Card Vending Machines?  Probably it has a lot of info on it. I'll see it when I do purchase the 3 OMNY cards when I have a chance.

I just realized they also email receipts to those with OMNY accounts when value is added to a card.

13 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I just realized they also email receipts to those with OMNY accounts when value is added to a card.

Thanks for the info.  You mean when I add the value from the OMNY machines I get BOTH the receipt printed out and get an email?  I already have an OMNY account.  When I had the 2 OMNY card that I lost and I add the value from the website I do get an email regarding how I added.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:39 AM, mikecintel said:

Thanks for the info.  You mean when I add the value from the OMNY machines I get BOTH the receipt printed out and get an email?  I already have an OMNY account.  When I had the 2 OMNY card that I lost and I add the value from the website I do get an email regarding how I added.

Exactly, you get that same email if you add value from an OMNY machine.

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Exactly, you get that same email if you add value from an OMNY machine.

Oh wow, thank you so much.  I am going to get the OMNY card this week and find out.  How would they email you if you were buying a new OMNY card from the machines.  The new card you didn't even register for it on the OMNY website yet?  If you add the value from the machine and it is already activated and registered on the OMNY that I understand it will read the serial number and it already linked to your email address.  I will find out this week and I will post my results.

4 hours ago, Amtrak41 said:

Will they ever resolve posting Trip History, or is that an insurmountable obstacle for this $700 million project ? 

I know tbey had concerns about people being stalked from their history, but with a password protected account, this should be less of an issue and they can restore it (maybe add in 2 factor auth or something if worried)

On 11/13/2023 at 4:14 AM, mikecintel said:

Oh wow, thank you so much.  I am going to get the OMNY card this week and find out.  How would they email you if you were buying a new OMNY card from the machines.  The new card you didn't even register for it on the OMNY website yet?  If you add the value from the machine and it is already activated and registered on the OMNY that I understand it will read the serial number and it already linked to your email address.  I will find out this week and I will post my results.

That’s a good point. I guess you’d only get a paper receipt for the new cards. 

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I know tbey had concerns about people being stalked from their history, but with a password protected account, this should be less of an issue and they can restore it (maybe add in 2 factor auth or something if worried)

Right, They should be able to limit it to signed in accounts for the time being.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

That’s a good point. I guess you’d only get a paper receipt for the new cards.

Hmmm I have to see when I fully use the OMNY card and use the machine to reload my money on my OMNY card do I get an email or not.  Right now I will buy the OMNY cards and I will still use my Metro Card because the OMNY still doesn't have 30 days monthly which I need.

9 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Hmmm I have to see when I fully use the OMNY card and use the machine to reload my money on my OMNY card do I get an email or not.  Right now I will buy the OMNY cards and I will still use my Metro Card because the OMNY still doesn't have 30 days monthly which I need.

Unless you are paying cash to reload the card, the autofill option through the website is great. Works very well and I never need to think about it

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Unless you are paying cash to reload the card, the autofill option through the website is great. Works very well and I never need to think about it

Wonderful!  When I had the OMNY card before I didn't do the auto-refill but I just add from my credit and it was so easy.

Edited by mikecintel