Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

1997: Reopening of Aqueduct Racetrack

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

I remember that period very well when it was closed.  Daily Racing Form made a big stink about it at the time that happened.

42 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

I remember that period very well when it was closed.  Daily Racing Form made a big stink about it at the time that happened.

Do you happen to have a copy?

3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Do you happen to have a copy?

No, I threw out my old DRFs years ago (have not bought a print edition in years).  That particular article (actually from early 1991) noted the major issues with the Aqueduct station being closed and everyone having to walk the full distance from the (A) station at Aqueduct-North Conduit to the Big A and how that was keeping some people away.

• Upvote 1

I forget why, I just assumed it was part of the 1990 budget cuts.  I would guess the MTA didn't want to man that station any longer, especially with the discontinuation of the (JFK) around that time.