Train Location Signs!

Eric B

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/Default.aspx

I had imagined this years ago, when trying to decide between to differnet lines, to find the one I chose had a long delay, or I just missed the train on that line, and could have taken the other way.

Now, in addition to the next two arrivals signs on the (L), they plan to set up actual LCD screens showing a track diagram of the whole line, and the actual locations of trains! It even shows which trains are in service, or having a proble, as I had also envisioned, but wasn't sure if it would be possible.

The first to get one will be right here at Myrtle-Wyckoff. Then, probably elsewhere along the (L), since it is already wired with new technology. I imagine the A Div. with its ATS would be next. When I was over there last year, and saw the ATS terminals in the dispatchers' offices, this make me realize that my old wish was now possible, and think even more that screens like those should be put out for the public.

I would also like for them to be able to show at least other nearby lines. That was my original wish for them. so if I'm at Myrtle-Wyckoff, and have a choice between the (L) and (M) for wherever I'm going, then I could see which is coming first, or has a delay. That would also be good at hubs such as 34th St.Herals Sq.

It would also be nice if these real time maps could be accessible online (both PC and mobile). That way I could see which way is best to go before I leave the house, or even when outside already.

Now, I had heard about this happening for a LONG time, but never expected it to reach fruition. On top of that, I had more recently heard that the new bus shelters would feature an LCD screen (I'm supposing in the area the guide-a-ride is placed) tracking buses over the route diagram by GPS. They don't have it, so is that scrapped too, or can we expect that as well someday?

Put it on my (6)...

Then those suits will stop cramming into a crowded train that has me on it :mad:

Hey if I see a packed train pull in "late" to a crowded platform I know there's an empty one right behind it...

...unless something laid down somewhere...

When I took the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan several years ago, the old South Ferry station always get very crowded and the first train that stopped at the station gets very crowded. I had to wait for the next train. I know that a new South Ferry station with long platforms is being built but I am now "working" in Staten Island and I ride in their vans.

Archived