Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

8 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

How I see things, I don’t think it matters what route you have coming from points east of Flushing to serve LGA, because there will still be a high turnover at Flushing. I don’t think a Whitestone or Bayside connection to LGA is needed. The longer a route is the more it is prone to delays anyways.

Hmm, I see what you’re saying there 🤔

The MTA wants to give Bronx riders access to LGA they should consider connecting the Bx15 or Bx41 to LGA and call it a day.

Bx15 could honestly work better than the 41 imo

The Q50 should continue to terminate at Main Street and there should be some kind of shuttle route that runs between Flushing and LGA whether it’s a new route or one of the airport shuttle buses from the Port Authority. 

Umm, while reasonable, I don’t think they’ll opt for that idea

I like how the Q19 is taking over most of the current Q48’s routing in Corona via 108th street and Roosevelt Ave and I hope they don’t opt to keep the Q48 around because it is a waste of resources in my opinion. The Q48’s airport usage isn’t all too high as it is and the Q19 wouldn’t get slowed down too much by a Corona detour. 

The 48 imo was never all that. And whenever I rode it, it was not that packed anyways. So maybe the 19 would do better (along Roosevelt and 108) so I agree with you there fam

Responses in bold @NewFlyer 230

Edited by Fire Mountain

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

Ok guys, I have an idea. Hear me out, what if there was a Bayside-LGA route? I was thinking maybe the Q28 or Q61 could possibly(?) head to LaGuardia Airport instead of the 50? Running nonstop along the 50’s “planned routing” only stopping at the terminals. Let’s be real, the 50 is not gonna be implemented. You guys think a route like this could work? Or even a Whitestone-LGA route?

Simply put, there's less of a need for a direct NE Queens - LGA route in the network, than there is for a Bronx - LGA route... So, no....

Their opting to connect the NE Bronx to LGA (proposed Q50) would make for a less potent route than connecting the West Bronx to LGA.... But of course, this isn't about promoting potency, it's about portraying frugality....

Edited by B35 via Church

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Simply put, there's less of a need for a direct NE Queens - LGA route in the network, than there is for a Bronx - LGA route... So, no....

Their opting to connect the NE Bronx to LGA (proposed Q50) would make for a less potent route than connecting the West Bronx to LGA.... But of course, this isn't about promoting potency, it's about portraying frugality....

The MTA clearly doesn’t care like we do. They so focused on losing money instead of thinking about it’s commuters like us which isn’t right smh. Like most of us agree upon, Bx15 or 41 would work better there by 1000%. May even increase ridership by at least 20%.

P.S I wonder if the plan create even more issues once the final version is out. I could see it happening but hope not….

Edited by Fire Mountain

23 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

How I see things, I don’t think it matters what route you have coming from points east of Flushing to serve LGA, because there will still be a high turnover at Flushing. I don’t think a Whitestone or Bayside connection to LGA is needed. The longer a route is the more it is prone to delays anyways.

The MTA wants to give Bronx riders access to LGA they should consider connecting the Bx15 or Bx41 to LGA and call it a day. The Q50 should continue to terminate at Main Street and there should be some kind of shuttle route that runs between Flushing and LGA whether it’s a new route or one of the airport shuttle buses from the Port Authority. 
I like how the Q19 is taking over most of the current Q48’s routing in Corona via 108th street and Roosevelt Ave and I hope they don’t opt to keep the Q48 around because it is a waste of resources in my opinion. The Q48’s airport usage isn’t all too high as it is and the Q19 wouldn’t get slowed down too much by a Corona detour. 

There is no through route from Flushing that would generally be popular for direct service to LGA. That being said, I believe Corona to College Point is a pair that would be useful for reverse commuters considering the high number of passengers transferring from the (7) to the Q25/65 in the mornings. 

But one thing I will be firm on is even though the Q48 is not the highest ridership route to LGA I could care less about what this form thinks I'm fighting for a Flushing to LGA route to stay. From a ridership perspective, it does better than the Q72 and I don't hear anyone crying about that route. Not too long ago I had to catch a flight from LGA and missed the Q48 since I was running late already, I made a desperate attempt to take the (7) and the Q70. Not only did the fact of having to carry luggage around the station slow me down a lot the poor accessibility between those 2 stations meant I had to drag them down the stairs and that took a lot of time. Ultimately I only saved 5 minutes compared to waiting for the next Q48, which was 20 min after the one I missed. That eastern connection to LGA is needed otherwise taking transit from NE Queens is just unattractive. 

On 10/3/2023 at 4:25 AM, Cait Sith said:

I see it at QV. It could be one of those lines that also interlines with the Q43(if that stays at QV that is) and the Union Turnpike routes.

With the way some of these routes are planned, anything can happen.

For the proposed Q88, would Casey Stengel be a more logical option over QV?

Edited by xD4nn

3 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I think it's one of those cases where either garage could work. Like the proposed Q51, 57 or 109

Discern, or otherwise consider how many buses would be dedicated to running out of Stengel, then we can more or less figure out if that proposed Q88 could/would run out of Stengel...

That said, I personally don't see that proposed Q88 running out of Stengel; terminal proximity isn't the sole factor that goes into what route runs out of what depot anyway.....

On 10/4/2023 at 12:16 AM, Fire Mountain said:

Way to kill my spirits… 😒😒😒

You know what, now F the MTA…..

The CP Depot been running those CNG CLF40s since 2011! That’s 12 years! Sure there were some loaners here and there but bro! Why can’t they send some new buses our directions?! Like come on!

Put it this way, we’ll be the ONLY depot without blue local buses 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

I can tell you that those new buses aren’t all they are cracked up to be. Having driven Novas, Smart Buses and C40LF I prefer the C40LF that we have at College Point. Yes they are old but trust me. They drive better than those newer buses. The only thing I’ve driven that feels better is the 8000 novas. 

52 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

I can tell you that those new buses aren’t all they are cracked up to be. Having driven Novas, Smart Buses and C40LF I prefer the C40LF that we have at College Point. Yes they are old but trust me. They drive better than those newer buses. The only thing I’ve driven that feels better is the 8000 novas. 

You late fam lol and I know. I was already bashed for this and I do remember the newer models have issues. My question is, why? 🤔 And will the same thing happen when the new CNGs get in around 2027 or 8?

Edited by Fire Mountain

14 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

You late fam lol and I know. I was already bashed for this and I do remember the newer models have issues. My question is, why? 🤔 And will the same thing happen when the new CNGs get in around 2027 or 8?

Nah I’m not bashing you. There’s no need for that. Just wanted to chime in. I think CP will always be one of the last depots to get new equipment solely because we are a CNG depot. Although WF is also CNG and got newer equipment. However TA depots do get newer equipment first. 

2 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

Nah I’m not bashing you. There’s no need for that. Just wanted to chime in. I think CP will always be one of the last depots to get new equipment solely because we are a CNG depot. Although WF is also CNG and got newer equipment. However TA depots do get newer equipment first. 

That’s reasonable about CP being last, but nah I meant other people bashed me here last week. I got over it though 

On 10/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, Fire Mountain said:

That’s reasonable about CP being last, but nah I meant other people bashed me here last week. I got over it though 

They just know more than u. Plain & simple. They're there tryna say some things you never knew and then you just do the me. (aka yell at em)

47 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

They just know more than u. Plain & simple. They're there tryna say some things you never knew and then you just do the me. (aka yell at em)

Yes they do and I understand that, however I didn’t yell at them. Anyways, I always appreciate the knowledge I gain about the MTA through this discussion. And once again, my apologies for last week y’all…

It was unprofessional af how I came about the news not gonna lie 

Edited by Fire Mountain

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Not in late 2023-2024.  Baisley Park is getting new Nova's as we speak and we have more Nova's and NF's coming for BP, LGA, JFK/FR and ECH.

That’s my point exactly. When was the first delivery of new novas to TA? MTAB didn’t see them until 23-24. 

Personally, I'm in favor of extending the M60 to Flushing. Stop and think about it: You would now have an SBS link from Flushing not just to LGA, but now to Astoria and Upper Manhattan. Another option would be breaking apart the Q44 SBS into two pieces: A Q44 SBS from Fordham Plaza, thru Parkchester and Flushing to LGA and a Q45 SBS from LGA, to Downtown Flushing, then down Main Street to Jamaica. This Q45 SBS could be extended down to JFK as well. 

57 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Personally, I'm in favor of extending the M60 to Flushing. Stop and think about it: You would now have an SBS link from Flushing not just to LGA, but now to Astoria and Upper Manhattan. Another option would be breaking apart the Q44 SBS into two pieces: A Q44 SBS from Fordham Plaza, thru Parkchester and Flushing to LGA and a Q45 SBS from LGA, to Downtown Flushing, then down Main Street to Jamaica. This Q45 SBS could be extended down to JFK as well. 

Love your idea, but a couple things.

1. About the M60 to flushing idea: The current 48 which currently runs from flushing to LGA dosent exactly have excellent ridership, so I think that will be a bit of a waste.

2. About the Q45 idea: There’s already a Q45 on board running between Little Neck LIRR Station and the Jamaica LIRR Station with the Q43. And also, I think people would rather continue traveling to the JFK airport from Jamaica rather than LGA due to it being somewhat closer and there’s an air train you can take straight there

Edited by Fire Mountain

On 10/10/2023 at 8:08 PM, Fire Mountain said:

Love your idea, but a couple things.

1. About the M60 to flushing idea: The current 48 which currently runs from flushing to LGA dosent exactly have excellent ridership, so I think that will be a bit of a waste.

Comparing it solely to the current Q48 ridership would be a mistake as it would more likely appeal to the Q19 ridership base.

Even though the route is long I wouldn't be fully against the idea of having a terminal outside LGA the M60 having a terminal inside the airport leads to bunching or buses having to wait at Terminal C which messes everything up. But would an M60 to Flushing have a comparable runtime to the proposed Q19? If not people would stick to the Q19, as it's a more direct route.

18 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Comparing it solely to the current Q48 ridership would be a mistake as it would more likely appeal to the Q19 ridership base.

Even though the route is long I wouldn't be fully against the idea of having a terminal outside LGA the M60 having a terminal inside the airport leads to bunching or buses having to wait at Terminal C which messes everything up. But would an M60 to Flushing have a comparable runtime to the proposed Q19? If not people would stick to the Q19, as it's a more direct route.

The point I was trying to make was that I don’t see many people taking the M60 to flushing from LGA or vice versa. I agree with you in terms of its terminal outside of Lga, but I don’t think flushing would work imo