Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

Byford's Last Day

Recommended Posts

I was lucky enough to say thank you one more time to Byford and Tomlin today outside 2 Broadway and was in the car with many other people and Byford on his last trip as NYCT President, and left the car with him. We will likely never see a leader like him again. What he has accomplished in two years is remarkable, and we should all be appreciative of all the work that he has done. I hope more of the people on the forum, especially the younger users who haven't already started their careers learn from Byford and follow his lead. Just being a railfan doesn't cut it. You need to work hard, be a leader, be active, and be willing to listen to others.

 

Today should be Andy Byford Day, and his home station, 33rd Street (6) should be renamed in his honor.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Gunn, then Andy Byford. If this is the cycle, we might see a savior arrive in the 2040s at the earliest.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Fuhrer Cuomo did an excellent job at running a dedicated man with the intentions of sticking around for 5-10 years, but look at the a**hole that had to ruin this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I was lucky enough to say thank you one more time to Byford and Tomlin today outside 2 Broadway and was in the car with many other people and Byford on his last trip as NYCT President, and left the car with him. We will likely never see a leader like him again. What he has accomplished in two years is remarkable, and we should all be appreciative of all the work that he has done. I hope more of the people on the forum, especially the younger users who haven't already started their careers learn from Byford and follow his lead. Just being a railfan doesn't cut it. You need to work hard, be a leader, be active, and be willing to listen to others.

 

Today should be Andy Byford Day, and his home station, 33rd Street (6) should be renamed in his honor.

33rd St. or any other station will never be renamed in Byford's honor because the one man who drove him out of his job, King Andrew Cuomo, does not want any reminders of Byford ever being here.

It was just unfortunate Byford was here during Cuomo's reign because under any other governor, Andy would have excelled more than he did.  He would have been MTA Chairman if he wanted the job if another governor was in charge. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, Around the Horn said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but imagine what Andy could have done under a Governor like Pataki

Andy Byford would've done a lot more under a different governor. Unfortunately it had to be Fredo f*cking the (MTA) in all types of different ways with his cynical politics and disgusting obsession for having his name plastered anywhere possible.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Andy Byford would've done a lot more under a different governor. Unfortunately it had to be Fredo f*cking the (MTA) in all types of different ways with his cynical politics and disgusting obsession for having his name plastered anywhere possible.

Cuomo, Trump, Giuliani, Bloomberg, Boss Tweed, Malliotakis, Robert Moses, Spitzer - must be the water because it seems like a lot of mediocre NYers with ginormous egos get elected or appointed to important positions and then do dumb stuff.

  • LMAO! 5
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deucey said:

Cuomo, Trump, Giuliani, Bloomberg, Boss Tweed, Malliotakis, Robert Moses, Spitzer - must be the water because it seems like a lot of mediocre NYers with ginormous egos get elected or appointed to important positions and then do dumb stuff.

also Lee Zeldin and Peter T. King as well, they are horrible and imagine if Zeldin and Pete King were Governor of NY? It would be a nightmare and a disaster or they would be just as bad as cuomo.

Edited by SubwayFan3000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, Around the Horn said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but imagine what Andy could have done under a Governor like Pataki

Pataki was Better and Decent Man compare to Cuomo and Trump, also NY under Pataki he even proposed a High Speed Rail that runs from NYC to Montreal/Toronto, but i prefer a Progressive Democrats like Cynthia Nixon and AOC to become a Governor of NY, Stringer for NYC Mayor and Bernie for US President.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 12:52 AM, SubwayFan3000 said:

Pataki was Better and Decent Man compare to Cuomo and Trump, also NY under Pataki he even proposed a High Speed Rail that runs from NYC to Montreal/Toronto, but i prefer a Progressive Democrats like Cynthia Nixon and AOC to become a Governor of NY, Stringer for NYC Mayor and Bernie for US President.

Andy Byford would have not taken the position at the MTA if Pataki was governor as if anyone thinks Cuomo is bad, Pataki was far worse

You could not say  anything without the approval of either Al D'Amato ro better yet Zenia Mucha and who cannot forget the picture of Al D'Amato taking ole George by the hand after George was nominated in 1994, It was either the Post or the News that had it on the front page. Everything had to be screened before it was issued and nothing went out without permission. The Albany Times- Union finally  was able to get an audience with the Commisisoner of Correctioanal Services and he could not say a word without looking first at the Pataki person as to what to say and therefore speak.(I have the complete citation somewhere and I remember it was from 2000).

Politicians like to control the flow of information to the public and even though there are laws that""protect" employees from management taking it out on them for making the information avaiable after going through the chain of command to have the problem resolved,the  laws very seldom if ever work..(New York State Civil Service Law 75 (b)(2) is the prime example). I feel for Mr. Byford as he had the courage for speaking out and I know how he felt the wrath of a Cuomo (or a  Pataki) who would do everything through their subordinates to get someone removed for speaking the truth. 

My opinion of Mr. Byford is of a person who is an honest individual and he  will do quite well where he willbe offered and accepts a position    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

Andy Byford would have not taken the position at the MTA if Pataki was governor as if anyone thinks Cuomo is bad, Pataki was far worse

You could not say  anything without the approval of either Al D'Amato ro better yet Zenia Mucha and who cannot forget the picture of Al D'Amato taking ole George by the hand after George was nominated in 1994, It was either the Post or the News that had it on the front page. Everything had to be screened before it was issued and nothing went out without permission. The Albany Times- Union finally  was able to get an audience with the Commisisoner of Correctioanal Services and he could not say a word without looking first at the Pataki person as to what to say and therefore speak.(I have the complete citation somewhere and I remember it was from 2000).

Politicians like to control the flow of information to the public and even though there are laws that""protect" employees from management taking it out on them for making the information avaiable after going through the chain of command to have the problem resolved,the  laws very seldom if ever work..(New York State Civil Service Law 75 (b)(2) is the prime example). I feel for Mr. Byford as he had the courage for speaking out and I know how he felt the wrath of a Cuomo (or a  Pataki) who would do everything through their subordinates to get someone removed for speaking the truth. 

My opinion of Mr. Byford is of a person who is an honest individual and he  will do quite well where he willbe offered and accepts a position    

You're right, to be honest i don't know much about pataki but pataki looks much nice person compare to cuomo and trump.

Yes, Republican Governorship would be a Trainwreck for NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent 12 years of my life working under Pataki's so called "Commissioner" and to say the least, i was one of those who felt that three terms were more than enough, let alone two terms.m

He was succeded by Eliot Spitzer and he appointed the best commissiner that I worked under during my entire tenure in the department. In one year, the department processes were bought up to date and our complaints were heard and resolved.The difference in the department was like night and day as he was a hands on administrator.

It is quite likely that if Andy Byford would have held the position under Spitzer not Cuomo, things would have been different,

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2020 at 6:31 AM, Interested Rider said:

I spent 12 years of my life working under Pataki's so called "Commissioner" and to say the least, i was one of those who felt that three terms were more than enough, let alone two terms.m

He was succeded by Eliot Spitzer and he appointed the best commissiner that I worked under during my entire tenure in the department. In one year, the department processes were bought up to date and our complaints were heard and resolved.The difference in the department was like night and day as he was a hands on administrator.

It is quite likely that if Andy Byford would have held the position under Spitzer not Cuomo, things would have been different,

 

IIRC, Eliot Spitzer's MTA was in the process of re-reviewing scope for the SAS, ESA, WTC, and Fulton because they were considered to be way too expensive and late as it was in 2007.

It's too bad that in 2008 using hookers for a socks fetish was an offense worthy of resignation. How times have changed.

Edited by bobtehpanda
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.