Being in the Dark in a train with passangers and TA Workers

mark1447

Do you get scared when being on a Dark Train thats in revenue service?  

1. 1. Do you get scared when being on a Dark Train thats in revenue service?

• Yes I do!!
    • Nah its fun being on a dark train :D ~
    • I don't know
    • I don't like trains, buses Rocks!

As Passengers, Have you ever been on a Train where the car lights are off, and when entering the subway from EL, lights are still off? Or the t/o turns the lighst off for fun or on purpose lol And do you like being in a dark car?

Remember its just like the Redbirds when the lights cut off hitting junctions or crossing once, most popular was found on the (7)<7>

For me YES , I LOVE IT! I can see lights in the tunnel and hear most passengers crying out lol, happened to me loads of times in my life

Once was during AM, when the C/R forgot to turn on lights on the 142 (2) entering 3rd ave, and the lights was STILL off at the station, till we hit 149 GC.

The other time was on the (3) from 72nd to 42nd street lol

Other was on an R40S on the (;) when the t/o turned it off while closing the doors, and when we it the 6th ave junction the c/r Yelled, LIGHTS!!!!, PARTNER PUT THE DAMN LIGHTS ON lol

and others

What about you?

EDIT: BTW THIS DOESN'T GO ONLY FOR (NYCT) it also goes for PATH, MNRR, LIRR and anything that goes underground

Yeah, I was on a L train that was going down into Bedford Avenue, the C/R had the lights off cause it was sunny as hell outside. I think he forgot because the lights stayed off going into Bedford Avenue. he didn't turn them on till the train had left Bedford Avenue. Everyone was just giving everyone else "wtf" looks.

It's funny for about minute when that happens, provided they eventually come back on. Otherwise it's a nuisance and a danger. Sorry to spoil your fun, but someone could trip, get mugged, or a bunch of other things if a car is completely dark. An R-46 (R) entered 86th St one morning with the entire first car dark (and remained that way). It wasn't cut out, but most people ran over to the second car when they saw it, making the car almost twice as crowded as usual. I couldn't even see into it well, but it looked like a couple of people rode it anyway. Maybe that was you.

One time I got on downtown (1) from Bx12(+) at 207th St, front car did not have light on and when it enter 191st St, I was scared but he put on at 181st St.

Even on METS VINTAGE TRAIN OF MANY COLOR got dark, but since there was METS fans, NYCT Forum, Straphangers Campaign and SubwayChat (I didn't register), so I wasn't afraid.

Other was on an R40S on the (;) when the C/R turned it off while closing the doors, and when we it the 6th ave juction the T/O Yelled, LIGHTS!!!!, PARTNER PUT THE DAMN LIGHTS ON

You mean the other way around. The C/R's cab doesn't have a momentary switch which controls the car body lights, only the T/O cab does.

Otherwise, I've been on dark cars many times. Back in the day when the trains were full of graffiti and maintenance was only a word in the dictionary, there would be on many trains at least one car which would be dark because the converter crapped out. Many passengers would avoid the dark cars, even during rush hours, but the hardcores would have no problem riding in them (myself included.) There used to be an old joke, "in the dark cars there are always plenty of seats. There are also plenty of beds in hospitals!"

You mean the other way around. The C/R's cab doesn't have a momentary switch which controls the car body lights, only the T/O cab does.

Otherwise, I've been on dark cars many times. Back in the day when the trains were full of graffiti and maintenance was only a word in the dictionary, there would be on many trains at least one car which would be dark because the converter crapped out. Many passengers would avoid the dark cars, even during rush hours, but the hardcores would have no problem riding in them (myself included.) There used to be an old joke, "in the dark cars there are always plenty of seats. There are also plenty of beds in hospitals!"

Heh, now all the seats are in the cars with non functioning HVAC/Air conditioning ;)

I remmeber riding an MBTA commuter train last year and all of a sudden a car went dark. Most people scrambled and panicked, I just put my head up against the glass and enjoyed the ride.

In the subway, it depends where I am. I still keep my sense of adventure, so if it was a fairly crowded (6) train, you bet I'd stay right where I am, and maybe even hunt for a seat (and, you know, keep my hands in my pockets). If it was an empty train at night with maybe one or two other people, you'd probably find me violating the "do not pass between cars" rule...

:eek::eek:

What? It's an emergency... :cool:

o i thought the C/R has control thz, so what control does the C/R got besides the computer on NT trains, Doors, announcements and Climate...? And T/O (Besides driving and stuff)

I like it when the train in service is in the dark......all you see is tunnel lights. I remember that happened on a Uptown R-142 (5) train when it was skipping 103rd Street, no lights all you saw was the station and tunnels....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it was fun for only of 10 seconds:p:D

Are you talking about "dark" as in NO lights on, or "dark" as in SOME of the lights on?

I don't think I actually had an experience when there were no lights on in a car except when the train was outside. I had many experiences when some of the lights were on. I actually like it when its dark since its relaxing to me. I remember riding a PATH car that some of the lights turned off when it went over a switch last year.

Does anyone know why some of the lights go off sometimes even if a car does not go over a switch?

Are you talking about "dark" as in NO lights on, or "dark" as in SOME of the lights on?

I don't think I actually had an experience when there were no lights on in a car except when the train was outside. I had many experiences when some of the lights were on. I actually like it when its dark since its relaxing to me. I remember riding a PATH car that some of the lights turned off when it went over a switch last year.

Does anyone know why some of the lights go off sometimes even if a car does not go over a switch?

"NO" lights on mate lol ;)

Mostly because that train car is not touching the 3rd rail, but the train has batteries, which is why you still see some lights on.

Archived