Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pelham Bay Dave

R160's on the J/Z Lines

Well I found out Thursday that Starting Tuesday Sept 4 the R 160 will start rolling in service on the J /Z Lines. Most of the line personal are now quilified exept for me so I have to wait for a R42 if the train is there for my intervel.

What are the qualifications? Additional traing with new equipment? I assume its mandatory. When will you do yours if you do?

wow. this is cool news.... thanks for the heads up Dave...

And now the R42'S that supply the J/Z will be scrapped, or moved over to another yard?

Well I have to wait until the Crew Assignment sections assigns me to the 3 day training classes at CIY. I was on the J Monday and it looks like everything is in place all the R160 Board are up and seen a lot more then normal amount of R143/160's at ENY.

Just keep in mind if a R 160 that is assigned to the L Line got any problems tha caused it to be taken out of service then that R160 for the J Line will run on the L Line. The L Line got first PRI on the R160. Hopefully everything goes as planned and get some nice pictures.

will the J/Z Lines be pure R-160's by november??....the reason why im asking this is because right now Im in Florida for school....and I dont get my 1st break till mid Novemeber....will I still be able to ride an R-42 (J) by that time???

Was the (N) the first route to use the R160? if so, was there any particular reason why they chose the (N) route?

Was the (N) the first route to use the R160? if so, was there any particular reason why they chose the (N) route?

Yes. The reason why is because I think the MTA wanted to boot the R32s and R40 Slants, R40Ms, and R42s off the line. But then the testing didn't go so well on the (N) so they tried it out on the (A) which went pretty well.

Ok just found out folks there are NOT running the R160's on the J Line yet. They put it on hold to train more personal on it.

O wow.. Well thanks for the heads up Dave; P-rad and I just spoke about going to get some pix of them

Better late than never.

Long live the slants and the railfan window, but hopefully we won't see an R160 takeover of the subway :(. No diversity is no good.

Yey! Get rid of the R-42's! They so dang rusty they cant even run to fast anymore. Horayy for the R-160's!
What are you smoking?

Just to update you guys. As you all know from the other post they did R 160 qualify me but only a one day cause which involed No train movement just point and tell training. Last week I operated it in Z service from Broadway Jct to Broad street and like I said it was great I loved every minute of it but I had to drop back at Broad St and take the R 42 behind it for J Service.

As of last week 4 sets are now in service for the Z Line only since Z trains only make one or two trips before returning to the Yard after AM/PM Rush Hour. They have another 2 sets being tested. All J Line personal are no qualified for R 160 they are now training the M Line personal. The only thing holding the R 160's from Regular J service is they have no TV monitors for the C/R's at the R160 C/R boards and the Supt wants that problem fixed before running R 160's around the clock.

I took the R160 on the Z train from Broadway Junction to Sutphin Blvd at Jamaica, it was a sweet ride, quiet and very smooth a bit faster on the turns between crescent st and cypress hills stations. Hope the r160 becomes a regular on the JMZ line!

I took the R160 on the Z train from Broadway Junction to Sutphin Blvd at Jamaica, it was a sweet ride, quiet and very smooth a bit faster on the turns between crescent st and cypress hills stations. Hope the r160 becomes a regular on the JMZ line!
A bit faster? There are timers there you can't go fast. And NO! I hope the R160 goes to hell! Take them off the J and Z and NEVER PUT THEM ON MY M.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.