Some E train fun (courtesy of my brother)

Joe

I'll just paste the entire text conversation in here for simplicity's sake:

"manhattan bound e out of jamaica. i am in first car. there is a white shirt talking to the operator. there is a bum smoking a cig other end of the car. the white shirt gets out at briarwood. we clear the station doing like 30 i would say and the guy slams on the brake. i jump up look out the window and there is an f train right in front of us and a red over red. the guy managed to get the train stopped before the red before the f and no emergency. then i hear dispatch screaming at the f driver now on the radio cause i am up front. the guy sounded like mayor quimby. he was like operator [removed] what was the aspect of the signal when you passed it. the to was like red over red. our t/o was talking to himself saying dont say that lol. then dispatch was like why would you pass a red over red sir. then dispatch said to discharge his train at union and proceed to continental without blowing anymore signals"

"he had about a third of a car between himself and the signal and like 3 or 4 lengths between the f"

Sounds like a real oh s#!t moment if I was on the E. :eek:

I'll just paste the entire text conversation in here for simplicity's sake:

"manhattan bound e out of jamaica. i am in first car. there is a white shirt talking to the operator. there is a bum smoking a cig other end of the car. the white shirt gets out at briarwood. we clear the station doing like 30 i would say and the guy slams on the brake. i jump up look out the window and there is an f train right in front of us and a red over red. the guy managed to get the train stopped before the red before the f and no emergency. then i hear dispatch screaming at the f driver now on the radio cause i am up front. the guy sounded like mayor quimby. he was like operator [removed] what was the aspect of the signal when you passed it. the to was like red over red. our t/o was talking to himself saying dont say that lol. then dispatch was like why would you pass a red over red sir. then dispatch said to discharge his train at union and proceed to continental without blowing anymore signals"

"he had about a third of a car between himself and the signal and like 3 or 4 lengths between the f"

Sounds like a real oh s#!t moment if I was on the E. :eek:

He even sounds like a Mayor Quimby, good one. He should go back to training again. Really.

Wasn't it Fiorello LaGuardia who posed in the cab of an R1 back in who-knows-when?

Bloomberg...subway centennial...'nuff said :D

There's one thing about that which doesn't quite make sense. If a train is occupying a signal block, the TWO signals preceding that block should be red...unless the T/O keyed by the first one, or they were station time signals allowing the second train to approach the first, but not being there I wouldn't be able to tell the details. So in theory the second train shouldn't be able to get within "3 or 4 (car?) lengths" of the first train...because assuming they're not ST signals or key by, if the T/O had gone max speed when he hit the red, the signal spacing between the red and the end of the preceding train would have been about 2 and a half to 3 and a half lengths, not nearly enough to stop the train in time to avoid a collision (in a nut shell what happened with the Willy-B accident), which doesn't quite make sense because signal spacing is designed to be enough to allow a train enough time to stop before the occupied signal block... Perhaps one of the T/O's here could shed some light

Bloomberg...subway centennial...'nuff said :)

There's one thing about that which doesn't quite make sense. If a train is occupying a signal block, the TWO signals preceding that block should be red...unless the T/O keyed by the first one, or they were station time signals allowing the second train to approach the first, but not being there I wouldn't be able to tell the details. So in theory the second train shouldn't be able to get within "3 or 4 (car?) lengths" of the first train...because assuming they're not ST signals or key by, if the T/O had gone max speed when he hit the red, the signal spacing between the red and the end of the preceding train would have been about 2 and a half to 3 and a half lengths, not nearly enough to stop the train in time to avoid a collision (in a nut shell what happened with the Willy-B accident), which doesn't quite make sense because signal spacing is designed to be enough to allow a train enough time to stop before the occupied signal block... Perhaps one of the T/O's here could shed some light

This is what I was wondering myself, to be honest, and even my brother wondered what these two trains were doing being so close.

I still don't understand what happened. How can the (F) train (in front?) run a red and end up stopped close to the (E)?

Was the (F) backing up, or was it not following a green? I don't get how this happened. Did the (F) go across a switch to get in front of the (E)?

Someone post a picture with track diagram so i can see what happened? :):confused:

- A

Idk know but I find this hard to believe.....Unless the T/O or T/O's were drunk i dont think they would be that dumb to pass a Red over Red unless they got permission to Key By. The closest I seen a train behind another is 23rd-28th on the 6 when my brother worked it. Other then that this story makes no sense. Oh and one other note, by the time your brother told you this and you posted it, I wouldnt be surprised if this was "spiced up".

Archived