Astoria Express?

duelingdragons

I rarely ever ride on the Astoria line, but I had to take the (N) to the M60 to get to LaGuardia over the weekend...

I remember people here mentioning how the (MTA) tried express service on the Astoria line.. I was just wondering if anyone had any more info?

Was it the (N) or the (W)? Also.. which were the express stops?

Express on the Astoria line seems pretty pointless to me. There aren't that many stops, and each one seemed pretty busy.

Thanks!

I rarely ever ride on the Astoria line, but I had to take the (N) to the M60 to get to LaGuardia over the weekend...

I remember people here mentioning how the (MTA) tried express service on the Astoria line.. I was just wondering if anyone had any more info?

Express on the Astoria line seems pretty pointless to me. There aren't that many stops, and each one seemed pretty busy.

Thanks!

Yeah the Astoria express is pretty much pointless since the only express stop in between Ditmars and Queensboro Plaza is Astoria Blvd. It's not that long of a run anyway

Thanks!

It was the (W) in peak directional (AM) rush from Astoria Blvd to Queensboro Plaza and (PM) rush from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria Blvd!

Thanks!

That why it was a failure you comments in bold. Most of the riders got on/gotoff at 'local' stations like 30rd Avenue and the Broadway(South Astoria)stops which got overcrowded.

The express stops was Ditmars, Astoria Blvd and non stop to/from Queensboro plaza.

This was for a short 6 month period in 2001 during the manhattan bridge reconstruction. The "W" was the Astoria express train and it ran rush hours in peak direction (morning manhattan bound appx. 6am-10am and Astoria bound appx, 3-8pm)

it is possible to catch a (N) train going to run for express only during 7-10AM,sometimes they skip-stop all the local stations or run in the express track,from ditmars to queens plaza. but this only happened during the summer rush hour,now i think you will hardly see a (N) run express for rush hour

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

This was for a short 6 month period in 2001 during the manhattan bridge reconstruction. The "W" was the Astoria express train and it ran rush hours in peak direction (morning manhattan bound appx. 6am-10am and Astoria bound appx, 3-8pm)

Actually, the last southbound express left at 12:38, and then northbound began around 1. Like the J, 6 and 7.

I used to get that job on vacation relief, and both southbound trips were express (the second one being that last one at that time), and then the second northbound trip was express. So 3 out of 4 intervals were express, including the entire second round trip.

Well, even if there is express in Astoria Line ((N) and (W))... It is only one direction operation, cannot be two, the Corona Line ((7)) can be an example.

Most dual contracts elevated lines were built as three tracks. 2 locals and 1 bidirectional express track. They don't realise that some of the lines really need a fourth track nowadays.

Yeah, well the only way is to modify the Line so a Fourth Track can be on the top of the Original Bi-Directional Express... As well as the 103 Street to Willets Point Stretch on the (7) would need to get a big modification, the top track would need to be demolished and the top line would have to have 2 Track insted of 1, and the Bottom Track would need some realinging due to New Level... But it would be good to realign that area since the tracks are too complex...

That is way too extensive and presumably expensive. The MTA, given at any kind of fiscal situation, good or bad, would not consider it.

I know MTR, don't be that serious, I was just saying if the (MTA) considers to put the Astoria Express and Corona Express in Bi-Directon in the same time, it'll be like that...

If there is to be bi-directional express on any line at any expense, I would consider the Flushing Line. Astoria line? No. It is not worth it.

How about this? The idea is of pure fantasy, but, if the (N) was to be extended to LaGuardia, the centre track could function as an express track. And yes, there would be another track to allow for bidirectional express service.

Well, it would be good if the line could handle it! But the Bi-Directional, nah. I'd rather build a one South-Bound (Current Bi-Dir. Tracks) and one North Bound (New Upper Tracks) wise... The Astoria Stretch, (N) and (W), would be good off like that, also this applies to the (7) as well...

If you could really make a track map, it would really help. Otherwise 177219936_d5f6295433.jpg?v=0

The only condition nowadays if the (N) or (W) were to run on the express track is if there's construction on one of the two local tracks on the BMT Astoria line. Sometimes, some (N) trains lay still on the express track at Astoria Boulevard, during middays, and they are used during rush hour to increase frequency on the (N). No need to bring back the Astoria Express on (N)(W).

Archived