Hey Guys

robb911

Hello there...name is Rob...pretty new to the forums as you can see..hehe....I've just decided to pursue a career in transit....thought it'd be a good way to go.....although it seems my timing is terrible(with the economy and all):D.....just a couple of questions though. I just took the conductor exam which was terribly easy btw, and signed up for the bus operator test. Not sure when it is but I've started studying to get my cdl class b permit. The thing is where i work now there's no way i can afford training for the road test..but i really want to get the official license....do you guys have any suggestions?.. i read some post and some have suggested private sanitation places and such....would that work for a newbie like myself or do you have any other ideas?

Hello there...name is Rob...pretty new to the forums as you can see..hehe....I've just decided to pursue a career in transit....thought it'd be a good way to go.....although it seems my timing is terrible(with the economy and all):D.....just a couple of questions though. I just took the conductor exam which was terribly easy btw, and signed up for the bus operator test. Not sure when it is but I've started studying to get my cdl class b permit. The thing is where i work now there's no way i can afford training for the road test..but i really want to get the official license....do you guys have any suggestions?.. i read some post and some have suggested private sanitation places and such....would that work for a newbie like myself or do you have any other ideas?

Welcome to the forums Robb,yeah the timing for me is bad as well. I only took the bus operator exam back in April. I got my cdl permit back in January and in May I got my CDL B with N,P,S endorsements. I took my time,was in no rush. It looks like a very long wait for me with DSNY and or MTA. I went to Northside driving school in Ridgewood Queens. Total came out to around $900.00. I took the 10 lesson package,they have the 5 lesson package for around $480.00. I failed the road test the 1st time in Maspeth,passed easily the 2nd time around in Red Hook,Brooklyn

You need some CDL driving experience to get a job in private sanitation. They aren't going to hire you with just a CDL B permit. They do offer free CDL training if you qualify. Depends on your income I believe. There are driving schools that you can pay in installments. I paid in cash upfront.

well loco69 do you do any driving now with the cdl to get your experience up?.......basically addressed to all persons...Once i get the permit I'm just trying to find out if i'll be able to get into a job of some sort that will train me..or is that wishful thinking..?

in these days now, no one will hire you even with a cdl and experience let alone a permit, its bad out there. i suggest you practice with a school, pay in installments go to ferrari or d pinto on linden blvd in brooklyn and they can help you with the license and job placement. i was 17 when i took the bus driver test years ago and they called me up when i was 18 but i never went for the b untill i was older wich i'm regretting now

in these days now, no one will hire you even with a cdl and experience let alone a permit, its bad out there. i suggest you practice with a school, pay in installments go to ferrari or d pinto on linden blvd

Well this is subtly crushing my hopes.....

well loco69 do you do any driving now with the cdl to get your experience up?.......basically addressed to all persons...Once i get the permit I'm just trying to find out if i'll be able to get into a job of some sort that will train me..or is that wishful thinking..?

Don't listen to negative people like Dan,there are cdl jobs out there but you need experience to get hired. One that doesn't require it is Access a ride,para transit companies. Look on Craigslist under transport jobs. No I am not working at a CDL related job now. I want to keep my cdl clean for now. Although I am light years away from being called by either DSNY or the MTA.

I am sure that there are driving schools that offer job assistance but it is going to cost you. I remember the owner of the driving school that I went to told me that he could get me a job if I got my CDL A,driving locally,no touch loads,52k yr. I have no interest in driving a tractor trailer though. Figure that is costs 2-3 times more to get your CDL A than your CDL B.

Stay away from ferrari, they are very $$....I got my CDL thru them.....I did no package.....it cost me about 1200 bucks.....I failed the test the first time....I took the test in the Maspeth area....tricky course....the guy didn't prep me for anything...the bus rental with them was 350 bucks I remember....and the job placement...I didn't qualify for because I didn't take a package......it would have cost me like 2g's or more....so I was like no thank you!!

I remember when I first got my CDL....I was stoked!! but applying for jobs and not getting any calls deflated me!! then I put my resume on Craigslist and about a week later this trucking company called me up and I worked with them for about a year before MTA called.

Been a Bus Operator now for year and half.....I like it!! they will call you faster for Bus Operator then any other job I think....If you just sent in the money order for the MaBSTOA list you will be ok.....no written exam just a Boss survey...and then the Physical and you will be in like flynn!!

good luck!!

JFYI some guys came to the MTA with just a permit and took the road test with them for free.....but I didn't need that added pressure....you have 7 days 2 qualify and they give you up 2 10 days...after that it is bye bye.

logo.coachusa.gif does/did offer free training if you had a permit, and you use their coach for the road test. You pay nothing, and they pay you to learn to drive the coach. Now, maybe their policy changed, since this was 8 years ago when I worked for them. The Safety Officer (instructor) told me this. Some went there just to do just that and never worked for them. They went to MTA, cause Coach Usa has/had a policy of free paid training, no obligation to stay. I had my CDL License already (school bus company in Yonkers, got a discount cause a young woman I knew father was a supervisor there)......

Stay away from ferrari, they are very $$....I got my CDL thru them.....I did no package.....it cost me about 1200 bucks.....I failed the test the first time....I took the test in the Maspeth area....tricky course....the guy didn't prep me for anything...the bus rental with them was 350 bucks I remember....and the job placement...I didn't qualify for because I didn't take a package......it would have cost me like 2g's or more....so I was like no thank you!!

I remember when I first got my CDL....I was stoked!! but applying for jobs and not getting any calls deflated me!! then I put my resume on Craigslist and about a week later this trucking company called me up and I worked with them for about a year before MTA called.

Been a Bus Operator now for year and half.....I like it!! they will call you faster for Bus Operator then any other job I think....If you just sent in the money order for the MaBSTOA list you will be ok.....no written exam just a Boss survey...and then the Physical and you will be in like flynn!!

good luck!!

JFYI some guys came to the MTA with just a permit and took the road test with them for free.....but I didn't need that added pressure....you have 7 days 2 qualify and they give you up 2 10 days...after that it is bye bye.

Good post. I also failed the road test in Maspeth. I agree about not wanting the added pressure of passing the road test through the MTA. I didn't send in the money order for MaBSTOA,as I have no interest in working in the Bronx or Manhattan,I don't think you can transfer to a Queens or Brooklyn depot from there.

yes I read somewhere before this that maspeth was hard... let's hope i don't get that right... i think i'm gonna go with northside-ds.com. they seem to have reasonable prices and then hopefully afterwards i can find something in the interim until the MTA calls...or just try to purseu something with the CDL... but i have been checking out acess-a-ride....Thx all you guys for your input and suggestions

Good post. I also failed the road test in Maspeth. I agree about not wanting the added pressure of passing the road test through the MTA. I didn't send in the money order for MaBSTOA,as I have no interest in working in the Bronx or Manhattan,I don't think you can transfer to a Queens or Brooklyn depot from there.

That is how I got to work at MTA BUS......thru MaBSTOA....and I work in queens.....live 7 miles from the depot!! .....we make a couple of dollars less then NYCT but we have tons of overtime. :D

sorry guys but what is the MaBSTOA??...thats what i sent my money order to recently...was i mistaken in thinking that was the MTA bus lines?

Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MaBSTOA) is a subsidiary of the New York City Transit Authority that was created in 1962 to take over bus services from the bankrupt Fifth Avenue Coach Company and Surface Transit, Inc. MaBSTOA was created so that employees would not be subject to civil service employment rules, however, as a practice, all "rank and file" employees such as bus operators, mechanics, and supervisors, have civil service protection like other NYCTA employees. MaBSTOA also has a separate pension plan from other NYCTA and MTA employees.

thx for the info.......See i was wondering why the application seemed different....anyone know when they'll give the info for when i take the test?.....The application never stated the test date.......btw this CDL book is sooooo hard to study....any tips?

I just got a letter in the mail for mabstoa and they go by some type of survey picking, i felt that i threw 40 bucks away with that one but i'm not too sure how they hire you.As far as the cdl book is concerned, read everything thoroughly because they way they word the questions on the written test is the same way in the book. what sucks is when you take the test and get wrong answers, they do not let you see which ones you got wrong and its fustrating, so read it over and over. general knowlege section and air brakes, and if u want combination for the a license.

Hey guys,

I wanted to take CDL B permit, but when I was filling out DMV application I saw the part which has to be filled out by a doctor, as they are asking for the license # etc. I have no medical/physical problems, but was just wondering do I still need this or do I leave it blank? I believe the license has to be CDL B + air brakes + pass (w/no restrictions.) Thank you.

Archived