An mixed R68A/Redbird/R32 trainset at CI yard

trainfan22

You think that's crazy? At the MMC you have comet 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and multilevels all hooked together randomly. They also have EMU cab-trailer- trailer-cab, and electric locos hooked to diesels with 1-3 cars attached to one or the other. Also you can see csx freight locos in the nj part of the large rail yard/depot with new stuff in tow. ;)

- A

r they coupled or they are just next to each other?

I think there coupled.

You think that's crazy? At the MMC you have comet 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and multilevels all hooked together randomly. They also have EMU cab-trailer- trailer-cab, and electric locos hooked to diesels with 1-3 cars attached to one or the other. Also you can see csx freight locos in the nj part of the large rail yard/depot with new stuff in tow. ;)

- A

When I rode the gladstone branch and when the train went past that yard I seen those multilevel cars hooked up to comet V's. And Diesel locomotives hooked up electic locomotives.

That is nice, :)!

How about the R-160 and other NTT's?

And well, the R-62 and R-68 is the wonderful family of hippos! :P!

The R-160 and other New Tech's can be coupled "iron to iron" (couplers only) to the R62/R68/other SMEEs since they all have H2 heads as well but electrically/mechanically they are not compatible. So you'll never see it, unless for some reason an odd move needs to be done and there's no other equipment available (cant imagine this but we'll just say hypothetically)...then you'd probably see one car type or the other cut out and basically being pulled by the other as "dead weight" - no motors no brakes no nothing...just like hitching a wagon to the back of a pickup :)

Oh, thanks for the insight. How about the R-46, R-44 and all the cars before?

I heard that the R-44 and R-46 are not comaptible to any car, I am not sure what they mean but, I still don't know for now, :rolleyes:...

I think they don't work because of the way they charge up. I read some story on NYC-subway that explains why.

Oh, thanks for the insight. How about the R-46, R-44 and all the cars before?

I heard that the R-44 and R-46 are not comaptible to any car, I am not sure what they mean but, I still don't know for now, :rolleyes:...

R46/R44 have the same coupler type, but different than the rest of the current fleet. They can't be coupled iron to iron with anything else in the fleet than each other.

But here's the caveat...R44's also have different brake pipe and straight air pipe pressures than the R46, so those cars are mechanically incompatible...they can only be coupled to each other "iron to iron" but not electrically/sharing trainline air.

R46/R44 have the same coupler type, but different than the rest of the current fleet. They can't be coupled iron to iron with anything else in the fleet than each other.

But here's the caveat...R44's also have different brake pipe and straight air pipe pressures than the R46, so those cars are mechanically incompatible...they can only be coupled to each other "iron to iron" but not electrically/sharing trainline air.

Ah not so true subwayguy, R44/46 can be coupled to the rest of the fleet. On the R46s there is a coprimise coupler (or there should be) under the A car on the A end. The R44s do not carry one, but Car Equipment Emergency Response trucks have them. With this R44/46 can hook up "iron to iron". I have never seen it done, but it can be.

Ah not so true subwayguy, R44/46 can be coupled to the rest of the fleet. On the R46s there is a coprimise coupler (or there should be) under the A car on the A end. The R44s do not carry one, but Car Equipment Emergency Response trucks have them. With this R44/46 can hook up "iron to iron". I have never seen it done, but it can be.

oh you mean the coupler adapter...yeah, that can be done to couple iron to iron only to another car that has an H2 head...i've never seen it either, but im told its just in case of emergency and obviously no electric/air connection if it's used.

wouldn't be envious of whoever has to take on that task either...coupler adapter weighs baout 100 lbs

The R-160 and other New Tech's can be coupled "iron to iron" (couplers only) to the R62/R68/other SMEEs since they all have H2 heads as well but electrically/mechanically they are not compatible. So you'll never see it, unless for some reason an odd move needs to be done and there's no other equipment available (cant imagine this but we'll just say hypothetically)...then you'd probably see one car type or the other cut out and basically being pulled by the other as "dead weight" - no motors no brakes no nothing...just like hitching a wagon to the back of a pickup :rolleyes:

That's the 44/46 that have H2's and the 160's can be coupled iron to iron with. For the 68's and ther SMEEs, you need the adapter, and that is only for rescue of a dead train.

Archived