Status of R-32 subway cars as of January 3, 2009

Joseph Lee

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what do you think will be the fate of your supposed "ugly soda cans"?

if the R44s do get reefed, they will become soda cans, but i highly doubt that will happen because they are so ugly, the fishies down there will not want them either :P i will always call the R44s "ugly soda cans" and R42s "rusted tin cans" whether you like it or not.

if the R44s do get reefed, they will become soda cans, but i highly doubt that will happen because they are so ugly, the fishies down there will not want them either :P i will always call the R44s "ugly soda cans" and R42s "rusted tin cans" whether you like it or not.

And I would always remember the R32s as the "Butts of Budd." Seriously, they are aging. If the MTA does keep them, they should keep a few sets of R38s as well. R38s gave me no problems and they were the least troublesome since the GOH.

Enough with giving trains unnecessary nicknames. It's pointless. If you hate them, hate them yourself. Don't broadcast it here, I don't want to witness a fruitless debate over train cars and their aesthetics. We are not using NYCTF for flaming and trolling. Come on. Cut it out with the "ugly soda can" "rusted tin can" or "butts of Budd".

And I would always remember the R32s as the "Butts of Budd." Seriously, they are aging. If the MTA does keep them, they should keep a few sets of R38s as well. R38s gave me no problems and they were the least troublesome since the GOH.

R38s are deteriorating rapidly, so like it or not, they will be gone within the next 4-6 weeks. R32s are not going anywhere until at least august after the R40 slants retire. in the end, the R32s will outlive the R38s, R40 slants, and Coney Island R42s!

R38s are deteriorating rapidly, so like it or not, they will be gone within the next 4-6 weeks. R32s are not going anywhere until at least august after the R40 slants retire. in the end, the R32s will outlive the R38s, R40 slants, and Coney Island R42s!

I heard from an unknown source that they might keep the 32's until after all of the 160's are in. (again from an unknown source)

I heard from an unknown source that they might keep the 32's until after all of the 160's are in. (again from an unknown source)

do not trust unknown sources. as much as i would love to have the R32s after 2010, the fact is they will retire this summer after the R38s and R40 slants.

It's been really hard to find an R38 set lately. I was hoping to ride the R38 set with Westinghouse motors before they're all gone.

Try the C line. Most of the fleet is R32 however the occasional R38 shows up. They are also on the A as well, in insignificant numbers (based on my observations, slants and R44s as well as a few mods are the dominating cars on the A)

Does anyone know if the preserved pair of R38s have Westinghouse motors?

all the R38s have GE motors since 2005/6... personally i prefer the westinghouse.

do not trust unknown sources. as much as i would love to have the R32s after 2010, the fact is they will retire this summer after the R38s and R40 slants.

The R32s are NOT being scrapped anytime soon. We have just had a shop meeting with the general super.... The 32s will be around to at LEAST 2010. Until the full order of R160s is complete and the barn at 207 is extended.

The R32s are NOT being scrapped anytime soon. We have just had a shop meeting with the general super.... The 32s will be around to at LEAST 2010. Until the full order of R160s is complete and the barn at 207 is extended.

Sounds great, however all info is subject to change. One day they said they may last until 2010, another day they can say they are retiring every car. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but the topic is subject to change anytime.

Thanks for the updates, though.

Haven't more than half the fleet of R32's already been retired? I forget where I read that at.

all the GE and Phase II R32s have been retired, but the Phase I cars are still kicking ass on the 8th Avenue Line. there is enough R160s ordered to replace all R32s-R42s, but i will be happy if (NYCT) uses the R160s to get rid of the R44s and keep the R32s until the R179s arrive because honestly, R32s are still in much better shape than the R44s.

The R40s and R42s should be gone NOW. Alstom's delay is so troublesome. Would someone please stop retiring the R38s and let them stay on the A?

please deal with it. R38s are retiring in the next 4-6 weeks. i personally rank them as my third least favorite car due to their dark and dirty interiors. i did not realize how horrible they were until they started running exclusively on the (C) because when they were on the (A), the R44s made them look like powerhouses. i also want the R42s to go now, but too bad they are staying for another 10-12 months. R40Ms and R32s can stay because they look much better

Archived