DesignLine USA Announces a Contract with MTA New York City Transit

UlmerPark B6

SELECTED NEWS STORY

December 16, 2008

DesignLine USA Announces a Contract with MTA New York City Transit

SmNYC%20Bus%20for%20website.JPG

Charlotte, NC (16 December 2008) – DesignLine USA, LLC is pleased to announce the beginning of a test and evaluation contract with MTA New York City Transit (“NYCT”). NYCT has executed a contract worth $50.4 million to begin what is hoped to be a long-term relationship. This contract will allow the initial delivery of 30 new DesignLine EcoSaver IV Hybrid Electric heavy duty transit buses to the agency with an option of an additional 60 buses. NYCT is expecting to deploy these new buses on multiple routes.

The unique propriety hybrid propulsion system used in DesignLine’s EcoSaver IV bus sets itself above all of the current competition in the worldwide heavy duty vehicle marketplace. This system is quieter than other hybrid propulsion systems in operation and lowers harmful emissions. NYCT is just one of a growing list of premier customers interested in the benefits of our hybrid propulsion system. Other premier North American bus customers that have negotiated contracts or placed orders for the DesignLine EcoSaver IV include private companies and public companies such as Charlotte Area Transit. Additionally, numerous press conferences have been held across the country over the past year as part of local in-service demos and public accolades have been heaped upon the performance of the EcoSaver IV from the Senior Management of numerous other respected North American customers including the Chicago Transit Authority, the City of Baltimore and the City of Orlando.

DesignLine Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing James Gaspard states that “DesignLine’s key to its efficiency is its proprietary vehicle management software that controls the Capstone turbine engine and all other systems on the vehicle. The EcoSaver IV can be configured to run on gaseous fuels like propane, natural gas and even hydrogen, as well as alternative liquid fuels such as kerosene and alcohol. Another distinctive quality of the EcoSaver IV is its ability to operate in full electric mode with the APU turned off (thus emitting “zero” emissions). In tomorrow’s uncertain energy world, the ability of the EcoSaver IV to utilize alternative fuels, without changing out the type of APU, gives a customer a certain level of future fuel flexibility over the long expected life of our vehicle.” DesignLine’s software is responsible for supervising, operating and managing all the equipment on the bus. This data is gathered and recorded into a “Data Logger” and is displayed for the driver to use and for maintenance personnel to track the vehicle’s performance. The Data Logger can also broadcast information via GPS technology to DesignLine and to the owner of the bus to be viewed in real time.

DesignLine USA is a subsidiary of DesignLine International Holdings, LLC; a Charlotte based company. The DesignLine family of companies prides itself on having a world-wide reputation for quality and service. This reputation, coupled with their recognized alternative propulsion systems, has allowed DesignLine to successfully penetrate markets world-wide from the US to Australia to the UK to Japan.

The worst part of this is the phasing out of so-called 'uneconomical or outdated technologies', and puchasing eco-;) buses. I don't like this quest (NYCT), (MTA) and others are on to 'improve' their fleets. But, well, hey, the (MTA) doesn't operate to please people like me.

No more hearing buses loud enough to impress you at over 700 feet way! (Well, the long discontinued S50 does that best) I'd rather hear a bus' engine than the people aboard chattering:mad: - but that will be the future in (NYCT) and globally, I guess.

Now, what will I like about buses anymore, I sometimes wonder, when designs are becoming goofier and propulsion gets nearly silent?:cry:

Archived