Few more cars ready for the barge (From NYCSubway.org)

MTR Admiralty

As I was pondering through NYCSubway.org, I came across these pictures, which are taken by Glenn L. Rowe. These pictures were taken at 207th Street Yard. These cars have been retired and will go to the barge.

R32 3867, car 3866 is paired with it and could be seen on the far left of the photo.

img_95387.jpg

R32 3866

img_95388.jpg

R32 3949

img_95389.jpg

R38 3981, look at the R32 next to it.

img_95390.jpg

R32 3948

img_95391.jpg

I mean...is there really anything wrong with them? besides the age...its not like they are old timers trying 2 play b-ball at age 65...they get the job done. the purpose for them is not fashion or " how long can they live " but rather to transport people along points. Age or course seems to do different on a subway car made out of stainless steel...must I say the older cars function fine or is it obvious to everyone...? why fix something if it is not broken? why replace it if it functions fine...?

I hope you guy dont hate me for saying but its time for these cars to retire. It's making the system out dated and old fashion.

No foam but, I have to agree with you. We can say "oh, the MDBF is nothing... they are still great cars... they still operate well" all we want. But if there are breakdowns and it is a recurring problem, is it worth to keep them?

If we retrofit them and give them a shot of another 25 years in the arm, could we keep them for long? Would they still operate well? And the retrofit costs a lot.

Our system is antiquated, having new cars does not necessary make our system any newer. But having stuff that ACTUALLY WORKS and will WORK FOR A LONGER TIME PERIOD AT THE LOWEST POSSIBLE COST will benefit the greater whole of the straphangers.

Sorry to see them go, but face it, there's nothing we can do much.

I mean...is there really anything wrong with them? besides the age...its not like they are old timers trying 2 play b-ball at age 65...they get the job done. the purpose for them is not fashion or " how long can they live " but rather to transport people along points. Age or course seems to do different on a subway car made out of stainless steel...must I say the older cars function fine or is it obvious to everyone...? why fix something if it is not broken? why replace it if it functions fine...?

Sure, you have old timers who can play OD basketball. But, tell you this though, go to the senior centre and randomly recruit 25 old aged men and tell them to play a basketball game. You think they could manage it?

Look how many have major health issues? Heart problems? Had stroke before? Arthritis? Joint problems? Poor health?

Same with these cars, while some are still in "perfect condition", there are others that have serious problems. If they continue to operate, there may be breakdowns and technical failures that would cost a lot to maintain.

well its sad for the 32/38 to retiree

the Big question is, what will the (C) receive ...

If they go back with 40/42, i hope the (MTA) doesnt do something stupid and move c/r boards, cuz it makes no sense at all and having people walk 2 cars up from the back for the (C)~ just a say

well its sad for the 32/38 to retiree

the Big question is, what will the (C) receive ...

If they go back with 40/42, i hope the (MTA) doesnt do something stupid and move c/r boards, cuz it makes no sense at all and having people walk 2 cars up from the back for the (C)~ just a say

I believe that we should not worry about the assignments now. We should not trouble ourselves into that. What we can do is wait till the T/Os that are on this forum provide us with the intel and usually they are right.

I believe that we should not worry about the assignments now. We should not trouble ourselves into that. What we can do is wait till the T/Os that are on this forum provide us with the intel and usually they are right.

they are not always right. they can provide information, some may be right, some may be wrong. that is what K-Express complained about.

Just a thought, you are always providing these "scheduled dates for retirement", where do you get them exactly? And do you believe in them firmly?

so far, most transit workers have gave out the same general retirement date for each car, but i told you already, it can change without warning.

But do you believe in them firmly?

based on the fact that R38s are gradually dwindling in service and the fact R40s have one of the lowest MDBF in the system, i firmly believe R38s will retire by the end of the next month and the R40 slants will follow in the Spring. most sources still say R32s will go in August, R40Ms in October, and R42s in January 2010, but since that is a long way off, i am not quite sure when those cars will retire exactly. who knows what can happen in the next six months.

Archived