5 Years Ago Today..... Brooklyn-Bound (D) Trains!

Brighton Local

I was in the military in California when the changes took place and at that time I was on the Straphangers website the next day just hanging onto every word about how the first ride on the (D) via 4th Ave was and I was excited. Later in 2004, I got to see the route along 4th Ave and West End for myself and it wasn't bad.

5 years later, I won't lie, I do wish that the (D) was back over at Brighton but it makes total sense why the setup is what it is and it works. All areas in the outer boroughs should have 24 hr service to Manhattan and that was lacking over at 4th Ave and the (D) provides the necessary service needed for the area and it's doing a good job IMHO. It would be nice if the (D) would stay an express in Brooklyn along with Manhattan 24/7 but we can't always get what we want. Manhattan will do. LOL

I was in the military in California when the changes took place and at that time I was on the Straphangers website the next day just hanging onto every word about how the first ride on the (D) via 4th Ave was and I was excited. Later in 2004, I got to see the route along 4th Ave and West End for myself and it wasn't bad.

5 years later, I won't lie, I do wish that the (D) was back over at Brighton but it makes total sense why the setup is what it is and it works. All areas in the outer boroughs should have 24 hr service to Manhattan and that was lacking over at 4th Ave and the (D) provides the necessary service needed for the area and it's doing a good job IMHO. It would be nice if the (D) would stay an express in Brooklyn along with Manhattan 24/7 but we can't always get what we want. Manhattan will do. LOL

Wow, I had just gone intot he military when the 1988 changes took place, missing it by one week. I had waited for so long for that to end, as it was only supposed to be a couple of months originally, and now the Brooklyn end of the D had the new cars, and the 6*A's were just starting to arrive on the other end. I first saw it the next spring when I had a break from finishing training, and you still had the mixture of old stuff from both ends (unrebuilt 42's, which had been on 6th Ave. only now on the new (Q6)). The next time I came home, the (Q6) was running to 207th with R38's, due to a flood with asbestos contamination!

they do that to the (C) and yet, it normally runs on weekends. what about that?

yea but the (C) runs a totally different route than the (;).

The (C) has to run on the weekends to back up the overcrowding (A) trains via the Fulton St Line. The (B) is just a backup for weekday service along the 6 Ave and Central Park West Line. So like i said, there's NO point of making the (B) run on the weekends.

too bad that is not going to happen. Coney Island and Jamaica are set to get the rest of the 5-car R160s, so yeah, the (E)(F)(Q)(W) will be fully R160s by spring 2010 and some R68/68As may be moved to Pitkin on the (A)(C). i must say, having R68/68As on those two lines are certainly an improvement over those ugly R44s and the just okay R46s.
The W all R160s? Did you forget that a cut is going to take place to eliminate the W?

The W all R160s? Did you forget that a cut is going to take place to eliminate the W?

who says the (W) is going to get eliminated?

yea but the (C) runs a totally different route than the (;).

The (C) has to run on the weekends to back up the overcrowding (A) trains via the Fulton St Line. The (B) is just a backup for weekday service along the 6 Ave and Central Park West Line. So like i said, there's NO point of making the (B) run on the weekends.

the (C) actually does not need to run on weekends. iirc, it terminated at World Trade Center on evenings and weekends and the (A) made local stops in Brooklyn, but that was changed in 1999 because Fulton Street residents wanted 7-day express service on their line, so if Brighton and Central Park West customers want the (B) on weekends, it will get implimented.

http://gothamist.com/2008/11/18/mta_may_eliminate_w_train_among_oth.php

The Z is going to be eliminated and M service is to be cut beyond the Montague St Tunnel.

(NYCT) has not yet officially announced they these cuts will take place. i will only believe it once it says on the (MTA) website that the (W)(Z) will officially be eliminated on a certain date along with all of the other budget cuts that are being planned.

http://gothamist.com/2008/11/18/mta_may_eliminate_w_train_among_oth.php

The Z is going to be eliminated and M service is to be cut beyond the Montague St Tunnel.

Well we all know there are proposals that are there to nix those services, however they are not enacted yet, or there is no official press release from the TA indicating: "OVER THE SUMMER, WE ARE GIVING YOUR SERVICE CUTS.. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Ok I got something to say about this thread and I've been biting my tongue for the longest. This thread have gotten out of control. Zach started this thread about the newly reconstructed Manhattan Bridge where certains lines got switched and some got cut or reduced back to their orginial terminal.

Question: Why this thread turned into R-68/R-68A's are on certain trains and what not? What they got to do with the (D) running via 4th Avenue Express West End Local or (B) running via Brighton Express? Who cares that the R-68/R-68A were on the (B)(D) (Q6) (N)(Q)<Q> or (W) back then.....it has nothing to do the Manhattan Bridge construction....my god!!!!

Someone pls explain this one to me. Then you want to know why threads close left and right on this site b/c it goes from something simple a lil subway history to I can't stand this that or the other....idk what's on this site since last year...pls just say what they want, do what they want and just don't give a rats ass....its no respect on here with each other and constant off-topic on threads. This seriously needs to stop and thats my 2 cents for 2night!

Thanks chris i agree. This isnt nyc subway reroute forums, it's about all transit past present, future, reflecting on the past is a huge part of being a transitfan of any medium be it air sea land road or rail.:tup:

People tend to forget to read the first post or dont care about it & go off on a tangent. this isn't a romper room, it's NYCTF. Stay respectful, reasonable & on topic or you will find yourself short one NYCTF account.:mad:

- A

Thanks chris i agree. This isnt nyc subway reroute forums, it's about all transit past present, future, reflecting on the past is a huge part of being a transitfan of any medium be it air sea land road or rail.:tup:

People tend to forget to read the first post or dont care about it & go off on a tangent. this isn't a romper room, it's NYCTF. Stay respectful, reasonable & on topic or you will find yourself short one NYCTF account.:mad:

- A

Your welcome Andy and my name is Curtis lol

who says the (W) is going to get eliminated?

the (C) actually does not need to run on weekends. iirc, it terminated at World Trade Center on evenings and weekends and the (A) made local stops in Brooklyn, but that was changed in 1999 because Fulton Street residents wanted 7-day express service on their line, so if Brighton and Central Park West customers want the (;) on weekends, it will get implimented.

but still, thats adding too many trains for weekend service. no need for (;) service on weekends. just leave it the way it is. i mean if the (MTA) approves that and the (:) actually starts running on the weekends, then hey, thats good, but to me, theres no need for (B) service on weekends.

I doubt the (:P will run weekends. The Brighton line Station rehab project will continue to be in effect for the next 'X' amount of years. Like I stated earlier, adding additional trains to the Brighton Line (especially on weekends) won't work.

I doubt the (:P will run weekends. The Brighton line Station rehab project will continue to be in effect for the next 'X' amount of years. Like I stated earlier, adding additional trains to the Brighton Line (especially on weekends) won't work.

You are right, there are a lot of GOs going on, not just the Brighton Line. Broadway Lafayette is getting a makeover and that will require some shut downs. 47th-50th had already caused havoc.

• 2 months later...

(K)<R>When i think of the (D) kawasaki r68 trains is that line

(F) I always liked R46 on that line i would like to have seen an old r44 with that blue stripe on it but thats ol' skool .When i was younger I did see an R68 (F) come into EAST BROADWAY I will never forget it .

Archived