Has anyone ever went on a long distance trip on Greyhound bus?

Shortline Bus

I rode two of them, they both ain't have takeoff, but once they start to shift gears and rev higher, they gets it going!

From what I noticed a lot of OTR coaches don't have takeoff for some reason, same goes for flexble metros. But they seem to haul ass once they get on the highway. However most of the MTA MCI's takeoff really fast though.

From what I noticed a lot of OTR coaches don't have takeoff for some reason, same goes for flexble metros. But they seem to haul ass once they get on the highway. However most of the MTA MCI's takeoff really fast though.

Sorry but I drove those things for 5 and 1/2 years. Depends on who maintains the buses. Monsey Tours buses can fly uphill, and can take off. Campus (who I worked for for those 5 and 1/2 years), coaches can take off (with a car), OTR coaches can take off. Greyhound, and larger companies like CoachUSA, and Academy, usually have their buses programmed to give but so much RPM from when the gas pedal is pushed. This will keep people from flying backwards, or pushed back in their seats..........

Off topic. The ride along the Pa. Turnpike(Interstate 76)between Harrisburgh(the Pa. sate captial) and the Ohio border is really boring. When driving between the NY area and the Midwest region ie Chicago-Cleveland-Pittsburgh, I would strongly suggest Interstate 80. Still watching paint dry is more exciting than traveling through the Pa. Turnpike or I-80(after the Pocono area)whether driving or by bus.:)

IMO, driving on the PA Turnpike is fun with all of those curves and those tunnels too.

IMO, driving on the PA Turnpike is fun with all of those curves and those tunnels too.

That more midway on that highway towards Harrisburgh you get those 'curves and tunnels.' The western half of the Pa. Turnpike is what i more talking about it.:)

True the Pa Turnpike is slightly more scenic(barely lol)than Interstate 80.

I never ridden greyhound but heard and read from people who have and they said it sucks. Have anybody here ever rode their MC-12's? If you did then what was it like?

I have quite a few times when I went to D.C. often years ago. They're pretty nice and quiet, and I was always comfortable.

The furthest I've gone on Greyhound was to D.C./Silver Spring which is about 4 to 5 hours (pending how many stops the bus made cause I either got lucky with an express or unlucky with the local). Most times I got MC-12s and never complained.

My longest bus trip though might be soon on Greyhound's NeOn service to Toronto.

The furthest I've gone on Greyhound was to D.C./Silver Spring which is about 4 to 5 hours (pending how many stops the bus made cause I either got lucky with an express or unlucky with the local). Most times I got MC-12s and never complained.

My longest bus trip though might be soon on Greyhound's NeOn service to Toronto.

Toronto is a beautiful and great city i enjoy visiting every few years. Go to the Rodgers Center "Skydome' it a sight.

Yes, took a Greyhound to State College, PA couple yrs back... went to stay w/ a friend for 2 weeks up @ Penn. State...

I used to take greyhound from Chicago to New York. It stinks. People are usually loud, rude and half of them smell bad. This is no joke. It is hard to sleep on these buses.

Yep.

Sounds exactly like my experience w/ greyhound... ride took 7 hours, and I did not (hell, I couldn't) doze off once... One guy even tried to dead (steal) my laptop as I was goin to the bathroom... And of course, there was the woman w/ the 3 children (1 of which was out of control, and the baby that was crying nonstop for about an hour or so).... I felt like a sardine, the way I was scrunched up as I was sitting (not much legroom at all)...

and for some reason, the bus just stopped somewhere in Pennsylvania for an hour... we were just sitting there... I thought the bus might have ran out of gas or something... luckily, it was a through bus; didn't have to make a transfer...

Never again will I ride Greyhound.

Yes, took a Greyhound to State College, PA couple yrs back... went to stay w/ a friend for 2 weeks up @ Penn. State...

Yep.

Sounds exactly like my experience w/ greyhound... ride took 7 hours, and I did not (hell, I couldn't) doze off once... One guy even tried to dead (steal) my laptop as I was goin to the bathroom... And of course, there was the woman w/ the 3 children (1 of which was out of control, and the baby that was crying nonstop for about an hour or so).... I felt like a sardine, the way I was scrunched up as I was sitting (not much legroom at all)...

and for some reason, the bus just stopped somewhere in Pennsylvania for an hour... we were just sitting there... I thought the bus might have ran out of gas or something... luckily, it was a through bus; didn't have to make a transfer...

Never again will I ride Greyhound.

So B35 what happens you want to go to Washington DC, Boston etc or nearby cities does it mean you drive only?

Done the greyhound from NY to Rehoboth Delaware...that was long enough and drove me nuts. Not to mention the lack of leg room. I felt like an old man that's getting up after sitting for too long after that trip (no offense to any in here).

Another alternative mass transit option, Urbanortitude besides driving to either Rehoboth or nearby Ocean City, Md. is this. Take NJ Transit #319 Atlantic City line (during summers it extended to Cape May on couple trips ) to Cape May, NJ.Then there a ferry boat that takes you across the bay to Delaware. Then you can hop on a 'shuttle bus' that takes you to either Rehoboth Beach or nearby ocean City Maryland.

I think that 'ferry ride' from NJ-Del. is about $25-30 a person and with a regular size car i think it's about $40-50 a person. Maybe that a better alternative my friend.:cool:

Forest Glen any commments on any long distance greyhound trips? Longer than NY-DC is what i mean?

You could take those Chinatown buses.. They go to Richmond, Va., NC, Ohio, Michigan... Pittsburgh... God knows where now..

Soon you will see things like Chicago, Cleveland, Nashville, Memphis, St Louis... that network is crazy

Archived