Has anyone ever went on a long distance trip on Greyhound bus?

Shortline Bus

Has anyone ever went on a long distance trip on Greyhound bus? Example from NY-Flordia, NY-Canada or even cross country across the USA?

Thinking in early April with my Easter/Spring Break of going Greyhound offering $79 1-way fares with 14-day advance purchase online of riding it to see my parents/sister in Southern California and flying back.

I never been on a cross country Greyhound bus so any stories/advice? I hear it about 3 days travel time. Thanks in advance.

I went to Toronto from Newark last Year to the Rutgers Bowl Game. I thought it was terrible 13 hours on a bus..no thanks NEVER AGAIN. I would have taken Amtrak's MAPLE LEAF but it was sold out for the only days I could travel, and that would have been the better LD option.

Just my $.02

The furthest I have ever rode on a Greyhound bus was from New York to Pittsburgh. If its an express then IIRC, its about 8 hours. Flying to Pittsburgh is about an hour! I would never ride a bus for a trip longer than 3-4 hours!

The furthest I have ever rode on a Greyhound bus was from New York to Pittsburgh. If its an express then IIRC, its about 8 hours. Flying to Pittsburgh is about an hour! I would never ride a bus for a trip longer than 3-4 hours!

I would recommend the keystone. Cheaper than flying, about the travel same time as the bus, but far more scenic! I don't suppose you get to see horseshoe curve on the bus? ;)

- A

I would recommend the keystone. Cheaper than flying, about the travel same time as the bus, but far more scenic! I don't suppose you get to see horseshoe curve on the bus? :)

- A

You mean the Pennsylvanian...Keystone's only go as far as Harrisburg and are electric push-pull sets. Pennsylvanian is diesel hauled from Philly on and uses the more comfortable Amfleet II's. Not to mention they have food service something I wish Keystone trains had. But yeah the train is cheaper than flying and it does have Horseshoe Curve. The problem is the times are bad for most people, it leaves early from NY and Pitt.

I would recommend the keystone. Cheaper than flying, about the travel same time as the bus, but far more scenic! I don't suppose you get to see horseshoe curve on the bus? :)

- A

Off topic. The ride along the Pa. Turnpike(Interstate 76)between Harrisburgh(the Pa. sate captial) and the Ohio border is really boring. When driving between the NY area and the Midwest region ie Chicago-Cleveland-Pittsburgh, I would strongly suggest Interstate 80. Still watching paint dry is more exciting than traveling through the Pa. Turnpike or I-80(after the Pocono area)whether driving or by bus.:)

I always look for alternatives instead of Greyhound, like when I went to Boston, I used BoltBus (thier buses in my opinion are much better and the drivers are faster too), and then took Concord Coach Lines, which also has a nice bus fleet, both have buses that have either the Allison World B500R 6 Speed or ZF Astronic 12 Speed. It makes the 6 hour trip so damn fun! It only costs $35 from NYC to Boston and back with MegaBus (I hate MegaBus, ugly scheme, fat boy blocking window view, lots of Caterpillar engines), and from NYC to Boston and back with BoltBus is $40, but it's worth the extra $5. From Boston to Portland, Maine and back is $42, which is kind of odd for it to cost more but it's still worth it if you want to go there. Definately cheaper than Amtrak, I don't like Greyhound at all I always avoid them.

NYC-Goldsboro, NC in 2003. I got really bored.

Bring a laptop.

By the way, at the major stops, relieve yourself. The lavatories on-board are not the places where one would enjoy oneself.

Same could be said closer to home using the LIRR Metro North or NJ Transit bathrooms also.:)

I never ridden greyhound but heard and read from people who have and they said it sucks. Have anybody here ever rode their MC-12's? If you did then what was it like?
I rode two of them, they both ain't have takeoff, but once they start to shift gears and rev higher, they gets it going!

I always look for alternatives instead of Greyhound.

I do too. I went AC-Philly and back via NJT's 551 and Midtown-Hempstead and back via the available and various MTA services. I'm doing Newark-Philly this weekend via NJT/SEPTA (I think on the SEPTA part, might try River Line t0 PATCO if I don't get the special express that's running.) since I'm coming from Dover and it's cheaper to pay the NJT fare and do the Trenton Shuffle.

I used to take greyhound from Chicago to New York. It stinks. People are usually loud, rude and half of them smell bad. This is no joke. It is hard to sleep on these buses. It may be good for a trip no longer than 5 hours. Take a (JFK) Every four hours, the bus stops. In Cleveland we stopped over for over 3 hours. I did catch an Indians game in the 7th Inning! The park is walking distance, but a scary walk! By the time you buy snacks and food along the way, it will probably cost just as much as a (JFK) ticket. Trust me.

People are usually loud, rude and half of them smell bad.

Happens on many long-distance buses. I had loud people in the back of the NJT 551 to Philly and a guy eating in the back of the 551 to AC until the female B/O on that bus threatened to call the cops on the guy because the smell from the food was making its way up front and might have distracted her from the road. The 551 is largely a highway route.

I always look for alternatives instead of Greyhound, like when I went to Boston, I used BoltBus (thier buses in my opinion are much better and the drivers are faster too), and then took Concord Coach Lines, which also has a nice bus fleet, both have buses that have either the Allison World B500R 6 Speed or ZF Astronic 12 Speed. It makes the 6 hour trip so damn fun! It only costs $35 from NYC to Boston and back with MegaBus (I hate MegaBus, ugly scheme, fat boy blocking window view, lots of Caterpillar engines), and from NYC to Boston and back with BoltBus is $40, but it's worth the extra $5. From Boston to Portland, Maine and back is $42, which is kind of odd for it to cost more but it's still worth it if you want to go there. Definately cheaper than Amtrak, I don't like Greyhound at all I always avoid them.

I hear 'good things' about boltbus. However too bad it still only a regional bus line serving the Northeast.:)

Yes I did, nearly 15+ years ago to Florida. 1st time was suppose to be express (limited stops). Took 24hrs. Next time took the local. Took 24hrs (go figure). Never again would I do that. I hate heights, and I hated flying, but I'll be Jet Bluing it to Florida, if I ever go again, to see my relatives there. Do not take Greyhound on a long journey, if you can get a discount airline for the same price. Just do like you would do on the bus, and bring some sammiches (I had a fried pork-chop sammich w/mayo on the bus, and go some other stuff at rest stops). I only flew once in my life, from Florida back to NY, when Eastern Airlines wuh in bin-ess.......

Yes I did, nearly 15+ years ago to Florida. 1st time was suppose to be express (limited stops). Took 24hrs. Next time took the local. Took 24hrs (go figure). Never again would I do that. I hate heights, and I hated flying, but I'll be Jet Bluing it to Florida, if I ever go again, to see my relatives there. Do not take Greyhound on a long journey, if you can get a discount airline for the same price. Just do like you would do on the bus, and bring some sammiches (I had a fried pork-chop sammich w/mayo on the bus, and go some other stuff at rest stops). I only flew once in my life, from Florida back to NY, when Eastern Airlines wuh in bin-ess.......

What about Amtrak buddy to go to Fla.?

I remember on time going from NYC to Hershey, PA. back in '02 It took about 12 hours from morning to evening on the bus. On our first bus, it was nice, clean, and quiet. IIRC, i transfered twice. One somewhere in PA or NJ and one in PA. We stayed on the bus for first transfer but we switched buses on the second and man that bus stink because of the toilet. Luckily the bus stop wasn't far from our hotel. Don't remember what bus company it was but we supposed to ride greyhound. My opinion for that type of type of trip...air travel. That is too long of a trip on a bus.

Archived