Why doesn't the (M) run express along West End?

duelingdragons

The (M) runs local along 4th Av...I don't think that would match up personally. The reason why I say that is because the (M) would be so empty while the (D) crowded because it's an express already. But others may have different opinions. The last time the West End EXP was used was for an (N) G.O. during the weekday, from 10 AM to 3 PM, northbound. When the (M) was diverted to Sea Beach a while back, people saw that the (D) got much more crowded, which is why the (M) is used there...it's needed.

Gotcha. That's what I figured.

In addition to reason given, majority of riders on the West End line board at 'local' stations too. For instance, 18th Ave/86th St., 71st St 50th St-Madiomones Hosptial and Ft Hamilton Pwy gets more riders than an 'express' stop at 9th Avenue/39th Street.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

If ever they would have used express service, it would have been when the West End was the only line serving Stillwell, when the rest of it was being rebuilt. There were not only people diverted from the (N)(Q) and (F), but also losing easy connection to the express at Brighton Beach.

But apparently, even all of that was not enough to warrant it.

They should have the (D) Run Express pm to(am from) 62nd ave, and have it cross back to local, that way , it wouldnt cause a problem at Bay pkway, if the (D) ran exp and would have to wait for the (M) to lay up or wait for laying

They should have the (D) Run Express pm to(am from) 62nd ave, and have it cross back to local, that way , it wouldnt cause a problem at Bay pkway, if the (D) ran exp and would have to wait for the (M) to lay up or wait for laying

that cannot happen because there are only 3 stops between 62nd Street and 9th Avenue and there are no switches at 62nd street, so if a train is rerouted to express, it has to run express along the entire West End Line.

Mark have you been on the west end line before? It seems you have not since you listed '62nd ave' insead of '62nd st' station. And again my comments from above.

In addition to reason given, majority of riders on the West End line board at 'local' stations too. For instance, 18th Ave/86th St., 71st St 50th St-Madiomones Hosptial and Ft Hamilton Pwy gets more riders than an 'express' stop at 9th Avenue/39th Street. Other words just like a high number of riders board at local stations is why the (9)as canned a few years ago along the Bway line.

Mark have you been on the west end line before? It seems you have not since you listed '62nd ave' insead of '62nd st' station. And again my comments from above.

In addition to reason given, majority of riders on the West End line board at 'local' stations too. For instance, 18th Ave/86th St., 71st St 50th St-Madiomones Hosptial and Ft Hamilton Pwy gets more riders than an 'express' stop at 9th Avenue/39th Street. Other words just like a high number of riders board at local stations is why the (9)as canned a few years ago along the Bway line.

Yes ive been to West End, if you can tell by my Ind bmt shots.. Your saying there is a demond for (D) almost all the line then the (M)?

I personally think that the (M) viz West End is sorta an offset. The (M) is very reliable and provides direct service to Bushwick from Bath Beach. But express service on the West End via (M) is very unnecessary. Now if the (W) went down the West End Express that would work well, you got Broadway, 6th Avenue, and Myrtle Avenue service.

Yes ive been to West End, if you can tell by my Ind bmt shots.. Your saying there is a demond for (D) almost all the line then the (M)?

Yup. The main reason for the (M) extension during rush hours is to for these '2' puposes 1)Provide an alternative to the "D" during rush hours. By time (D)trains get to Ft Hamilton Pwy it complete SRO only. 2)provide west end and 4th Ave line riders a option to Nassau St and Lower East Side access not available using the (R).

Also note the demographics on the west end line as many are homeowners. Ridership on the (D) west end drops as much as 50% less on weekends/weekday middays 10am-3pm compared to normal peak hours and reason the (M)only runs rush hours. And again local stations like 18th Avenue, 50th St has more riders than 9th Ave. That reason for no peak hour express on the west end.

Again that won't work as the bulk of ridership is on "local" station along the line...now you have people leaving the (D)elta to wait for an eight car (M)ikey (which will fast become overcrowded). And the (M) relay procedure would actually disrupt (D) service more if the (D) used the express track.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

If ever they would have used express service, it would have been when the West End was the only line serving Stillwell, when the rest of it was being rebuilt. There were not only people diverted from the (N)(Q) and (F), but also losing easy connection to the express at Brighton Beach.

But apparently, even all of that was not enough to warrant it.

Its funny you should mention that because I recall this actually taking place. Right after 9-8-02, when the (F) & (Q) were pulled from Stillwell and began short turning at Avenue X and Brighton Beach, I would utilize the B68 from Brighton, to Stillwell, then the (W) to 36 St for an (R) to 86 St for the S79 back to Staten Island. Now, a few times I rode the Manhattan bound (W) or (M), during the PM Rush, I would usually see West End Express (W) Trains carrying passengers and signed up to terminate at Bay Parkway. Now, I don't recall reading short-turned (W)s at Bay Parkway in the timetable, but they ran, and it did exist. Never saw this on the (D) though.

Zachary

Its funny you should mention that because I recall this actually taking place. Right after 9-8-02, when the (F) & (Q) were pulled from Stillwell and began short turning at Avenue X and Brighton Beach, I would utilize the B68 from Brighton, to Stillwell, then the (W) to 36 St for an (R) to 86 St for the S79 back to Staten Island. Now, a few times I rode the Manhattan bound (W) or (M), during the PM Rush, I would usually see West End Express (W) Trains carrying passengers and signed up to terminate at Bay Parkway. Now, I don't recall reading short-turned (W)s at Bay Parkway in the timetable, but they ran, and it did exist. Never saw this on the (D) though.

Zachary

That was probably nothing more than a battery run in which trains are late and running back-babck-back, a station dispatcher probably decided to run that CI_Bound (W)as an 'express' using the middle tracks on west end line.:confused:

I did ride on a Manhattan Bound (D)last summer on a Saturday evening around 6-7pm that was late and ran 'express' till 9th Avenue but it stayed on the 'normal West End local tracks.

I also over last 2 years or so been on battery express runs on the (6) and (F) trains(CI-Bound from Jay St-Church Ave) also on late trains also.

That was probably nothing more than a battery run in which trains are late and running back-babck-back, a station dispatcher probably decided to run that CI_Bound (W)as an 'express' using the middle tracks on west end line.:confused:

I did ride on a Manhattan Bound (D)last summer on a Saturday evening around 6-7pm that was late and ran 'express' till 9th Avenue but it stayed on the 'normal West End local tracks.

I also over last 2 years or so been on battery express runs on the (6) and (F) trains(CI-Bound from Jay St-Church Ave) also on late trains also.

They few times that I witnessed it, it didn't look like a battery run. And for the (W) to be signed up to terminate at Bensonhurst-Bay Parkway...:eek:

I personally think that the (M) viz West End is sorta an offset. The (M) is very reliable and provides direct service to Bushwick from Bath Beach. But express service on the West End via (M) is very unnecessary. Now if the (W) went down the West End Express that would work well, you got Broadway, 6th Avenue, and Myrtle Avenue service.

true. if it wasnt for the service cuts, i wouldve liked to see a (W) run via West End Express and Terminate at Bay Parkway during rush hours.

Bay Parkway Station

(D)(W)

The (M) doesn't have an express section, but it doesn't really make sense making either (D) or (M) express due to passenger loads at the local West End Stations, I know others have brought this up, but no need for West End Express, the (D) and (M)'s serve West End Well!

Archived