R Train Extension

Guest MTA Bus

Guest MTA Bus

The (R) train has been going to Jamaica/179 St with the (F) the Pastcouple Of Weekends. Should the (R) Train Be Extended To 179 St ?

before the opening of the Archer Avenue Line in 1988, both the (E)(F) ran to Jamaica-179th Street with the (E) as the local between Forest Hills and Jamaica while the (F) was the express (except weekends and nights). when the (E) was rerouted to Jamaica Center, the (R) replaced the (E) as the Hillside local, but after two years, it was proven the Hillside express was unnecessary and no one used the (R), so that is why it terminates at 71st Avneue while the (F) is local east of 71st Avenue. unless there is a demand for Hillside express or Queens Boulevard local service to 179th Street, it is highly unlikely the (R) will be extended again.

before the opening of the Archer Avenue Line in 1988, both the (E)(F) ran to Jamaica-179th Street with the (E) as the local between Forest Hills and Jamaica while the (F) was the express (except weekends and nights). when the (E) was rerouted to Jamaica Center, the (R) replaced the (E) as the Hillside local, but after two years, it was proven the Hillside express was unnecessary and no one used the (R), so that is why it terminates at 71st Avneue while the (F) is local east of 71st Avenue. unless there is a demand for Hillside express or Queens Boulevard local service to 179th Street, it is highly unlikely the (R) will be extended again.

yes iwas gonna say the same thing, i remember when the ®'s were extended to 179th

My answer: a resounding NO!

It would be an inconvenience for passengers who board the subway at 75, Van Wyck, Sutphin and 169 by making it a two train ride for express service to the city, and it would result in overcrowding on the platform at Union Turnpike, which would create crushloads on the (E) even before it reaches Roosevelt Av.

There was a reason why the (R) local to 179 St failed miserably the first time, there is no desire for the service. Train crew wise, it was also an unbelievably long ride to 95 St. Crew fatigue was quite common.

It's a better idea for the (V) to go to 179 since the (R) is a very long ride.

However the area around the Hillside Avenue stops really isn't growing and ridership from what I've seen hasn't grown enough to warrant it so the F staying the way it is, is fine.

Also the overcrowding problem that Zman mentioned could happen. However most mornings the (E) is packed by Jamaica-Van Wyck, so overloaded E's are pretty much unavoidable until some miracle happens and Jamaica Center can turn more trains.

My answer: a resounding NO!

It would be an inconvenience for passengers who board the subway at 75, Van Wyck, Sutphin and 169 by making it a two train ride for express service to the city, and it would result in overcrowding on the platform at Union Turnpike, which would create crushloads on the (E) even before it reaches Roosevelt Av.

There was a reason why the (R) local to 179 St failed miserably the first time, there is no desire for the service. Train crew wise, it was also an unbelievably long ride to 95 St. Crew fatigue was quite common.

Very True I deal with that every Sunday. I be saying I hate the (R) Now.

What? What problems are these?

179th can turn something like 58 trains per hour. Basically one train every minute.

179 St is lucky they can handle one train every 5 Minutes. All trains in the relay are solo and they have to chase the homeless off the trains which makes it sit on the stand longer.

If they were to extend the (V) there, they should also extend the line so the (V) could go furthur into Queens.

Extending a line via existing revenue trackage is one thing; constructing more subway is an entirely different game.

I long for the day when the (E) is extended to Green Acres.

The "lower level" of Jamaica-179 is two sets of relay tracks north of the station. Four on the upper level and four on the lower level, if i'm not mistaken. I would assume they are all long enough to hold a 600' train.

Archived