Doubled lettered Lines

Q53 Limited

Does anyone know when did (NYCT) stop using doubled lettered lines and why were they used in the first place. Example (A)(A), (C)©, (G)(G), (L)(L)

wow.. i just posted this yesterday in regards to the (K)but i shall share a little bit of the DOUBLE LETTER LINES... again..;)The double-(G)(G) ran the same route as today's (G)line from Smith and 9th Street to Continental Avenue.The (K)(K) was a hybrid line that ran on IND tracks in Manhattan and BMT tracks from two separate lines in Brooklyn. Originating in Manhattan at the 57th Street station,(K) was used to replace (A)(A) as the local on the IND 8th Avenue line, the DOUBLE LETTER LINES was a way to 'identify' themselves as 'LOCAL'..In May 1985, the IND practice of using double letters to indicate local service was discontinued. The (C)© service was renamed the (C).;):tup:hoping this helped out a bit..:)

wow.. i just posted this yesterday in regards to the (K)but i shall share a little bit of the DOUBLE LETTER LINES... again..;)The double-(G)(G) ran the same route as today's (G)line from Smith and 9th Street to Continental Avenue.The (K)(K) was a hybrid line that ran on IND tracks in Manhattan and BMT tracks from two separate lines in Brooklyn. Originating in Manhattan at the 57th Street station,(K) was used to replace (A)(A) as the local on the IND 8th Avenue line, the DOUBLE LETTER LINES was a way to 'identify' themselves as 'LOCAL'..In May 1985, the IND practice of using double letters to indicate local service was discontinued. The (C)© service was renamed the (C).;):tup:hoping this helped out a bit..:)

I always thought they used double letters for the difference between local and express or where the line would terminate. (JFK)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Does anyone know when did (NYCT) stop using doubled lettered lines

The (NYCT) stopped using double letters in Spring-Summer of 1985. My Fall 1985 revision of the original 1979 map, shows that there was no double-lettered routes.

(AA) -> (K)

(CC) -> (C)

(GG) -> (G)

(LL) -> (L)

(QB) -> (Q) (Even though this route didn't have double letters, it still had two defferent letters.)

(RR) -> (R)

The Franklin Avenue shuttle also had double letters, but it didn't appeared in the 1979 map.

The double letters originally indicated local service.

Even though double letters got eliminated in '85, rollsigns on the older cars such as the R16 and the R27/30's still had them. The older trains had got the newer rollsigns from the GOH-period from 1984-1989.

:);););):) it's not a problem... working on the RAILROAD...lots of times the 'guys' are 'threatened' when they see a 'female'...holding down a particular position...especially on the WORK TRAINS..(in the beginning)...but still.. for the strangest reason... titles which should NOT BE AFFECTED at all by my presence (such as track workers...track foreman,,etc..).. seemed to have a problem with a FEMALE at the helm of MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT.. hey.. i gotta get MY paycheck too ;)

:);););):) it's not a problem... working on the RAILROAD...lots of times the 'guys' are 'threatened' when they see a 'female'...holding down a particular position...especially on the WORK TRAINS..(in the beginning)...but still.. for the strangest reason... titles which should NOT BE AFFECTED at all by my presence (such as track workers...track foreman,,etc..).. seemed to have a problem with a FEMALE at the helm of MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT.. hey.. i gotta get MY paycheck too ;)

I wouldn't feel like that, I would of been like hey girl followed by 2short blasts hahahaaaa wanna swap trains Lol LoL(K)<R>

You do what you got to do. I admire that female's holds a position of train operator. we are all equal. well I see that though. What line you do before going out on comp? (JFK)

You do what you got to do. I admire that female's holds a position of train operator. we are all equal. well I see that though. What line you do before going out on comp? (JFK)

work trains..'c' division... been on it like forever

In May, 1985 the (NYCT) deleted the double letter lines to one letter. They figures the double letter lines were not needed and it would be easier using one letter for each line. I still call the (R) train the RR (Rotten Railroad) and the (L) the LL (Lousey Local.) That's why the R32's and the R38's had a completely different look on the front panels than the original.

• 2 months later...

(AA) An Eighth Avenue Local - Became the second (K).

(BB) A Sixth Avenue Local - The (BB) ran until Chrystie Street opened.

168th Street to 34th Street-Herald Square.

(CC) Today's (C).

(EE) A Broadway Local - Ran 1967-1976. 71st Avenue-Continental Avenue to Whitehall. Weekdays during normal hours.

(GG) Today's (G).

(HH) Ran at times from Euclid Avenue to Beach 116th Street. Late nights was the Rockaways Round Robin. Euclid Avenue to Beach 116th Street to Mott Avenue to Euclid Avenue.

(JJ) Today's (J).

(KK) A Sixth Avenue Local. Ran 1968-1972 168th Street-Jamaica Terminal to 57th Street-Sixth Avenue. From 1973-1976 was the (K) and shortened to Eastern Parkway.

(LL) Today's (L).

(MJ) Myrtle Avenue El. Ran Bridge-Jay Streets Terminal to Metropolitan Avenue.

(NX) In only 1967-1968, the (NX) was a true Sea Beach Express. It made no stops between 59th Street and Coney Island and ran through Coney Island, terminating at Brighton Beach.

(QB) Today's (Q). QB= Q via Bridge. In the 1970's the (QB) ran rush hours only.

(QJ) IIRC became (JJ) (Today's (J) ). The (QJ) ran 168th Street-Jamaica Terminal to Coney Island weekdays via Brighton Local and to Broad Street weekends. Was cut back to Broad Street and (M) extended to Coney Island in 1973.

(QT) Sister train to the (QB). QT= Q via Tunnel.

(RJ) IIRC Special Chambers Street Rush Hours Service. Became <RR>. Originally, IIRC, (RJ) ran to either 111th Street or Rockaway Parkway then was cut back to Chambers Street.

(SS) Culver Shuttle, South Ferry Shuttle and today's (S).

(TT) A West End Service. Ran Chambers Street to Coney Island. When Chrystie Street opened, continued to run briefly as a 36th Street to Coney Island Shuttle during the (:D 's off hours.

Honorable Mention:

(BT) Never used. (BT) was considered briefly for the merger of the (BB) and the (T) as Chrystie Street opened - (B) was selected.

The (NYCT) stopped using double letters in Spring of 1985. My Fall 1985 revision of the original 1979 map, shows that there was no double-lettered routes.

70(AA)/(AA) -> (K)

<CC> -> (H)

70(CC)/(CC) -> (C)

70(GG)/(GG) -> (G)

70(LL)/(LL) -> (L)

70(QB)/<QB> -> (Q) or <Q> (Even though this route didn't have double letters, it still had two defferent letters.)

70(RR)/(RR) -> (R)

The Franklin Avenue and the 42nd Street shuttles also had double letters, but it didn't appeared in the 1979 map.

If my memory serves me right, the bulkhead rollsign on the R17's which used to run on the 42nd Street shuttle, read "Shuttle" instead of 70(SS).

The double letters originally indicated local service.

Even though double letters got eliminated in '85, rollsigns on the older cars such as the R16 and the R27/30's still had them. The older trains had got the newer rollsigns from the GOH-period from 1984-1989.

Archived