Subway - What If?

VWM

Next: Due to a Daft Punk concert at MSG, the 7th ave line and 8th ave line (Local and express EACH) must all have 30tph. Re-route as needed, and cut service if necessary.

Interesting idea.

Here goes:

(C) Runs express on 8 Av south of 59 St. Additional service operates between 168 St and Jay St.

(F) Runs via the (E) in both directions between Roosevelt Av and W4 St.

(M) Runs via 63 St.

(5) Runs via 7 Av in both directions (2+3+5=30 tph)

(1) Additional service operates between Rector St (via S Ferry loop) and 137 St.

NEXT

The MTA is trying a new construction method. Therefore, directional running has been instituted on the 6 and 8 Av lines all weekend:

No southbound trains can run on 8 Av.

No northbound trains can run on 6 Av.

Edited by NX Express

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trains Per Hour (tph) Chart:

I just thought that I'd post a handy chart with the listings of trains per hour (tph). These numbers are taken from the busiest service time, mainly the AM rush. I'm pretty sure my calculations are right, maybe off by 1, but it's a nice and handy thing to use.

(1) - 20tph

(2) - 12tph

(3) - 10tph

(4) - 12tph

(5) - 18tph

(6) - 20tph

(7) - 25tph

(A) - 18tph

(C) - 6tph

(E) - 12tph

(B) - 10tph

(D) - 10tph

(F) - 12tph

(M) - 8tph

(N) - 10tph

(Q) - 8tph

(R) - 8tph

(G) - 7tph

(J)(Z) - 12tph (combined)

(L) - 18tph

Edited by Gorgor

Well, the scenarios got better, and I'll try and stay quiet, I'll spectate, and may do an occasional scenario, but I'm limiting my time in this thread...

I just thought that I'd post a handy chart with the listings of trains per hour (tph). These numbers are taken from the busiest service time, mainly the AM rush. I'm pretty sure my calculations are right, maybe off by 1, but it's a nice and handy thing to use.

(1) - 20tph

(2) - 12tph

(3) - 10tph

(4) - 12tph

(5) - 18tph

(6) - 20tph

(A) - 8tph

(C) - 6tph

(E) - 12tph

(B) - 7tph

(D) - 8tph

(F) - 12tph

(M) - 8tph

(N) - 8tph

(Q) - 6tph

(R) - 8tph

(G) - 7tph

(L) - 17tph

The (A) is 18, not 8. I'm certain of that. I also believe the (E) & (F) are more than 12 each. Plus, I think all lines that run in the BMT Western Division are 8 TPH. And you forgot the (7), which I think is at least 30 TPH.

Edited by ThrexxBus

NEXT

The MTA is trying a new construction method. Therefore, directional running has been instituted on the 6 and 8 Av lines all weekend:

No southbound trains can run on 8 Av.

No northbound trains can run on 6 Av.

(A) LOCAL via 8th Avenue. Southbound: Via 6th Avenue local between 59th and W 4th

(B) suspended

(C) suspended

(D) northbound: Via 8th Avenue local, switches to express at 59th

(E) southbound: Via 6th Avenue local between W 4th and 53rd/5th

(F) northbound: Via 8th Avenue local then via the (E) to Queens

(M) to Broad Street

6th Avenue Local Southbound (A)(E)(F) = 30tph

8th Avenue Local Northbound (D)(E)(F) = 32tph

Might be pushing the limits, but it can handle that without any substantial delays

------

NEXT

No trains can pass through the (A)(C)(E) West 4th Street station. The (B)(D)(F)(M) level is fine, and the switches right south of the station are fully operational.

Well, the scenarios got better, and I'll try and stay quiet, I'll spectate, and may do an occasional scenario, but I'm limiting my time in this thread...

The (A) is 18, not 8. I'm certain of that. I also believe the (E) & (F) are more than 12 each. Plus, I think all lines that run in the BMT Western Division are 8 TPH. And you forgot the (7), which I think is at least 30 TPH.

Whoops, I've been looking at the wrong part. Yeah, I'll edit that post in a couple minutes with more accurate numbers.

Edit: The (E) and (F) are definitely 12tph. With each train 4-6 minutes apart, 60 / 5 = 12. The others have been adjusted accordingly.

Edited by Gorgor

NEXT

No trains can pass through the (A)(C)(E) West 4th Street station. The (B)(D)(F)(M) level is fine, and the switches right south of the station are fully operational.

(A): Runs in two segments:

34th Street-207th Street

Canal Street-Queens

(C): Suspended.

(E): Via 6th Avenue line local.

(M): Chambers Street-Metro Avenue

I think this'd work...

6th Avenue Local: (E)(F): 24-30 TPH...

Edited by ThrexxBus

(1) - 20tph

(2) - 12tph

(3) - 10tph

(4) - 12tph

(5) - 18tph

(6) - 20tph

(7) - 25tph

(A) - 18tph

(C) - 6tph

(E) - 12tph

(B) - 10tph

(D) - 10tph

(F) - 12tph

(M) - 8tph

(N) - 10tph

(Q) - 8tph

(R) - 8tph

(G) - 7tph

(L) - 18tph

This clears a load of stuff up. I had no idea about the TPH numbers, and that is why I rarely solve the riddles about TPH. Thank you.

NEXT

Due to suicide attempts of the Viaduct at 4 Av, all train traffic must not come near hearing distance of the victim so she can be calmed down. Hearing distance counts as Smith St, which means no trains can turn here, and 7 Av. Reroute away.

Why so sad? :(

Anyway...

(G):

Hoyt-Schemerhorn Sts-Court Square

(F): (Two sections)

Euclid Avenue-Queens

Ditmas Avenue-Coney Island

Why so sad? :(

Anyway...

(G):

Hoyt-Schemerhorn Sts-Court Square

(F): (Two sections)

Euclid Avenue-Queens

Ditmas Avenue-Coney Island

What's your obsession with sending the (F) to Euclid, when it's clearly not needed. Plus the (A)(C)(F) can't all fit on one track without causing delays.

NEXT

Due to suicide attempts of the Viaduct at 4 Av, all train traffic must not come near hearing distance of the victim so she can be calmed down. Hearing distance counts as Smith St, which means no trains can turn here, and 7 Av. Reroute away.

Not that i'm saying I like suicide, but it's a bit nice to have a different scenario now and then.

Run an (S) between Church Ave and CI.

(F) Terminates at lower level of Bergen St

(G) Terminates at Upper level of Bergen St

Run express buses making all (F) stops from Neptune Ave, to Lafayette (Southbound) and to 57th St (Northbound) (Southbound buses run on 7th Ave)

Because of a structural failure, all four express tracks at 34 St-Herald Sq cannot be used (as a safety precaution).

Local tracks are unaffected, but no trains can stop at 34 St-Herald Sq.

Assuming in this scenario the local tracks can be run on, here goes:

(B) operates West 4th-Brighton Beach ONLY (using express tracks at West 4th to terminate)

(D) via local on 6th Avenue (skips 34th Street)

(J) extended to Brighton Beach, running express in Brooklyn with (B)

(F), (M), (N) and (R) all run normal (other than skipping 34th), but expect delays on those lines.

(Q) runs as a five-car, 300' train between Coney Island and the Botanic Garden (S) station (terminates on Prospect Park-bound track, transfer there to (2)/ (3)/ (4)/ (5))

Franklin Avenue (S) runs single-tracked from Botanic Garden to Franklin Avenue on the Franklin Avenue-bound platform.

Edited by Wallyhorse

Assuming in this scenario the local tracks can be run on, here goes:

(B) operates West 4th-Brighton Beach ONLY (using express tracks at West 4th to terminate)

(D) via local on 6th Avenue (skips 34th Street)

(J) extended to Brighton Beach, running express in Brooklyn with (B)

(F), (M), (N) and (R) all run normal (other than skipping 34th), but expect delays on those lines.

(Q) runs as a five-car, 300' train between Coney Island and the Botanic Garden (S) station (terminates on Prospect Park-bound track, transfer there to (2)/ (3)/ (4)/ (5))

Franklin Avenue (S) runs single-tracked from Botanic Garden to Franklin Avenue on the Franklin Avenue-bound platform.

This foaming is disgusting.

Really... you think that extending the J to Brighton Beach would be good? That would require many additional trains and you'd have to suspend the Z skip stop because the timing would be off, not to mention a huge deal of confusion, plus riders on Brighton wouldn't want to take a J because they're not going to Brooklyn along the J line, they're going to Manhattan. Why should the B and J both be express WHILE the Q is running local?

And why not just make the Q train local in Manhattan? There's no problem with the N/Q/R running on one track through the 60th Street tunnel, so it'll be fine in Manhattan.

-----

Anyways, this is how I would do it:

B suspended

D local via 6th Avenue

Q local in Manhattan

Problem solved, no extreme foaming at the mouth needed. Absolutely no confusion to subway riders.

----

You guys need to quit it with the foaming. Extending a train to somewhere where it clearly doesn't need to be does not help at all.

For example, if I were waiting the 25th Street R station and I saw a D or N pull up, I'd be like "oh, no problem, something must've happened and they're running all trains local." But if an J train were to pull up I would be thinking "what the heck is this? I'll wait for the next train because I'm not sure what's going on."

----

NEXT SCENARIO:

There is a stalled train at the QUEENS BOUND N/Q/R 5th Avenue/59th Street station.

This foaming is disgusting.

NEXT SCENARIO:

There is a stalled train at the QUEENS BOUND N/Q/R 5th Avenue/59th Street station.

I think disgusting is a bit over the top, you know?

Anyway...

(N): Runs in two sections:

Whitehall Street-Coney Island

Queensboro Plaza-Ditmars Boulevard.

(Q): Terminates at 57th Street.

(R): Runs via 63rd Street to Continental Avenue.

Use free shuttle buses for 59th Street service.

What's your obsession with sending the (F) to Euclid, when it's clearly not needed. Plus the (A)(C)(F) can't all fit on one track without causing delays.

Where else would it go?

Because the West End Line is hit by something and goes flying up in the air , then lands in the waters of The Rockaways, there is flooding in the Rockaways and the West End Tracks (elevated) is also taken. Somehow, Coney Island suffered sever damage and a the glass fell throughout the tracks 1-6 and the platform. Tracks 7-8 was sent up in the air. An R68 later falls onto the Astoria EL between 30 Avenue and Broadway. The Marine Parkway Bridge is destroyed.

Edited by Q23 Central Term

What's wrong with 2nd Avenue?

Can't handle all the (F) trains, and it leaves Rutgers with no service.

Because the West End Line is hit by something and goes flying up in the air , then lands in the waters of The Rockaways, there is flooding in the Rockaways and the West End Tracks (elevated) is also taken. Somehow, Coney Island suffered sever damage and a the glass fell throughout the tracks 1-6 and the platform. Tracks 7-8 was sent up in the air. An R68 later falls onto the Astoria EL between 30 Avenue and Broadway

Oh god, here we go again...

What could possibly fly from WEST END to the ROCKAWAYS?!

This is just like the damn magic bullet...

Can't handle all the (F) trains, and it leaves Rutgers with no service.

Oh god, here we go again...

What could possibly fly from WEST END to the ROCKAWAYS?!

This is just like the damn magic bullet...

By flying in the air, I mean by like going high by altitude, then coming back down. That Flying

Because the West End Line is hit by something and goes flying up in the air , then lands in the waters of The Rockaways, there is flooding in the Rockaways and the West End Tracks (elevated) is also taken. Somehow, Coney Island suffered sever damage and a the glass fell throughout the tracks 1-6 and the platform. Tracks 7-8 was sent up in the air. An R68 later falls onto the Astoria EL between 30 Avenue and Broadway. The Marine Parkway Bridge is destroyed.

Ok, I don't know or care about what you're smoking, but JUST TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT STATIONS CANNOT BE USED.

I'm guessing the whole west end line, which would affect the sea beach at new Utrecht, The Rockaways below Broad Channel, Coney Island, and the astoria el btwn 30 and broadway.