Bx15 Bus Kills Cyclist in Harlem

MHV9218

An LFSA pulling out of the stop early this morning caught a biker midway into the tractor section of the bus, where he was killed. 

A cyclist was killed by an MTA bus in Harlem early this morning, in the city's fourth traffic fatality in nearly 24 hours.

According to police, 45-year-old Pedro Santiago was biking east on West 125th Street near Lenox Avenue at around 1:30 a.m. when a Bx15 bus traveling the same direction on 125th left the stop to merge into the travel lane. The bus struck Santiago with the driver's side, and the cyclist became lodged underneath the bus. Santiago was pronounced dead at the scene.

The bus driver remained at the scene of the collision. No charges have been filed, and the investigation is ongoing.

Two pedestrians were killed in Queens, and another was killed on West 96th Street between Saturday morning and Sunday morning.

On Wednesday, Mayor de Blasio told reporters that he was taking immediate steps to address the "epidemic" of pedestrian fatalities across the city, and NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton said that the staffs of the department's Highway Division and Collision Investigation Squad were being increased.

I know we're all going to wait for more details, but this is almost certainly a preventable accident where the driver should have waited to yield. Pulling out of the stop requires caution and not yielding to a biker appears to have cost this man his life. 

Some bikers also need to pay attention as well and stop acting like are invincible. I remember a few days ago a car was heading across an intersection and this guy on a bike was suppose to wait for the light and he kept going and almost got hit by that car. Lucky the car driver was able to get in the next lane or else the biker could have gotten killed. There has also been times where a person on a bike sees a bus trying to pull into a stop and still continues to ride next to the bus and the bus could not pull into the stop and was out into the street. I get what happened but a lot of times people tend to blame everything on the drivers but sometimes it the biker that caused it. In this case the guy should have slowed down and move away from the bus.

There has also been times where a person on a bike sees a bus trying to pull into a stop and still continues to ride next to the bus and the bus could not pull into the stop and was out into the street. I get what happened but a lot of times people tend to blame everything on the drivers but sometimes it the biker that caused it. In this case the guy should have slowed down and move away from the bus.

In all of these situations the bus should be yielding to the biker instead of cutting him off or pulling out in front of him. 'Slowed down and moved away' is not a requirement, because the bus should have yielded to the biker and waited for him to pass.

And if the cyclist isn't wearing bright clothes or something reflective and on top of that, has no lights on the bike? That's commonplace. The driver may not have saw him.

That's what I was thinking...

I see so many bikers who think they're gods on two wheels or something...

In all of these situations the bus should be yielding to the biker instead of cutting him off or pulling out in front of him. 'Slowed down and moved away' is not a requirement, because the bus should have yielded to the biker and waited for him to pass.

How do you know he cut him off on purpose? Its 1:30am, pitch black. Its pretty hard to see a bike in your rear mirrors. Its sad that the guy died, but when your in the streets, and your either crossing or on a bike, all vehicles are a priority to go first, especially at night.

An LFSA pulling out of the stop early this morning caught a biker midway into the tractor section of the bus, where he was killed. 

I know we're all going to wait for more details, but this is almost certainly a preventable accident where the driver should have waited to yield. Pulling out of the stop requires caution and not yielding to a biker appears to have cost this man his life. 

Sure, some bus drivers don t really take caution but a lot of bikers frequently don t take caution either. So it wouldnt surprise me if the biker was at fault in this case.

Sure, some bus drivers don t really take caution but a lot of bikers frequently don t take caution either. So it wouldnt surprise me if the biker was at fault in this case.

Some? A lot of bus drivers I've seen don't take caution in any situation lately. I can't even count on my two hands of how many times I was cut off by a bus while driving. Don't get me wrong, there are times I'll let the bus go first, like if there was traffic ahead of me or a red light, but when it's clear and you see me coming within close proximity, don't cut in like that.

Unfortunately so, but then again, cars and buses act like they are gods too..and of course since the bus' size speaks for themselves, they are the bigger 'gods'.

And if the cyclist isn't wearing bright clothes or something reflective and on top of that, has no lights on the bike? That's commonplace. The driver may not have saw him.

This is probably a key factor in this 'accident'.

Some bikers also need to pay attention as well and stop acting like are invincible.

Like I said in the above responses, cars and buses act like that as well, so we can't single out cyclists doing the same.

Some bikers also need to pay attention as well and stop acting like are invincible. I remember a few days ago a car was heading across an intersection and this guy on a bike was suppose to wait for the light and he kept going and almost got hit by that car. Lucky the car driver was able to get in the next lane or else the biker could have gotten killed. There has also been times where a person on a bike sees a bus trying to pull into a stop and still continues to ride next to the bus and the bus could not pull into the stop and was out into the street. I get what happened but a lot of times people tend to blame everything on the drivers but sometimes it the biker that caused it. In this case the guy should have slowed down and move away from the bus.

Other vehicles are required to yield to cyclists as they are on street legal vehicles. It's expected to yield to a bike when merging as one would to a motor vehicle.

The area the accident took place in is sufficiently illuminated and in addition it's likely the B/O pulled out without view the side mirror.

The contrary. Cyclists are required to be vigilant much more so than drivers. Even in NYC auto centric behavior prevails, leading accidents like this to be commonplace.

How do you know he cut him off on purpose? Its 1:30am, pitch black. Its pretty hard to see a bike in your rear mirrors. Its sad that the guy died, but when your in the streets, and your either crossing or on a bike, all vehicles are a priority to go first, especially at night.

Hell no.

Pedestrians in the crosswalk are to be granted right of way when traffic control devices don't dictate otherwise.

The rules of the road apply to bicycles and no vehicle is required to yield to another pulling from the curb.

This "motor vehicles get priority" crap is a contributing factor to many accidents, as many are ignorant to the actual laws.

Nope, wrong. Moving traffic has the right of way. Bike had the right of way. The bus has to wait for the bike to safely pass, which he did not do and so the man's dead. 

Was the driver looking? "I didn't see him" is an admission of guilt.

Who said he cut him off on purpose?

The law requires that motorists changing lanes yield to traffic in the lane that they're changing into. And, yes, bicycles are considered traffic.

The law requires that motorists changing lanes yield to traffic in the lane that they're changing into. And, yes, bicycles are considered traffic.

Thank you!

If the cyclist did not have the safety equipment required in the city of new York (headlight, taillights, and a bell/horn) then he was operating his "vehicle" illegally and was is in the wrong. At that time in the morning, it would be extremely difficult to see a cyclist on the street if he did not have said safety equipment

If the cyclist did not have the safety equipment required in the city of new York (headlight, taillights, and a bell/horn) then he was operating his "vehicle" illegally and was is in the wrong. At that time in the morning, it would be extremely difficult to see a cyclist on the street if he did not have said safety equipment

Thats what I was trying to tell them.

Who said he didn't? That's standard issue most of the time.

Nope, wrong. Moving traffic has the right of way. Bike had the right of way. The bus has to wait for the bike to safely pass, which he did not do and so the man's dead. 

True... Sometimes, some B/O's get pissy and will literally just use their bus as a weapon if you will because they get sick of being cut off with the thinking being I'm driving this huge vehicle, you'd be smart to yield for me.  Some people do and some people don't... Too many a-hole drivers that try to run in front of buses thinking that they'll automatically yield for them and all it takes is for one B/O not to see them or one that is tired of being cut off...

Look,it was the middle of the night, and the bike did not need to be so close to the bus. This is why these B/O's drive so sedated and why people hate riding the bus, they get blamed for everything. You all need to get a car and start driving around NYC so you can see the BS that goes on with pedestrians and Cyclists.

Look,it was the middle of the night, and the bike did not need to be so close to the bus. This is why these B/O's drive so sedated and why people hate riding the bus, they get blamed for everything. You all need to get a car and start driving around NYC so you can see the BS that goes on with pedestrians and Cyclists.

The bike did not need to be so close to the bus? What kind of bullshit is that? The bus PULLED OUT, as in got closer to the bike.

And sorry, but the absolutely worst thing in the world would be for everybody to 'get a car and start driving around NYC.' I recommend you get out of your car for a moment and notice that the easiest way to get away with murder in this city is by car.

I'm still unsure who's to blame here, but I still stand by my previous stance that there are pedestrians and cyclists who think they can walk/cycle everywhere they want, like the world is theirs. (of course, some car drivers and b/o's are not any better than that but still...)

I'm still unsure who's to blame here, but I still stand by my previous stance that there are pedestrians and cyclists who think they can walk/cycle everywhere they want, like the world is theirs. (of course, some car drivers and b/o's are not any better than that but still...)

The irony of this statement is that cyclists indeed can cycle everywhere they want on the streets, just as cars can. The fact that people like you have the mentality that this isn't the case is the problem. 

The bike did not need to be so close to the bus? What kind of bullshit is that? The bus PULLED OUT, as in got closer to the bike.

And sorry, but the absolutely worst thing in the world would be for everybody to 'get a car and start driving around NYC.' I recommend you get out of your car for a moment and notice that the easiest way to get away with murder in this city is by car.

If you're riding a bikd, you should know that a bus that pulled into a stop will be pulling out and you take your precautions. It's the middle of the night, I'd cross over on the other side of the road if necessary.

I do get out of my car, i commute to work by bus and subway. so lets stop the righteous BS.

The irony of this statement is that cyclists indeed can cycle everywhere they want on the streets, just as cars can. The fact that people like you have the mentality that this isn't the case is the problem. 

People with YOUR mentality is scary.

If you're riding a bikd, you should know that a bus that pulled into a stop will be pulling out and you take your precautions. It's the middle of the night, I'd cross over on the other side of the road if necessary.

I do get out of my car, i commute to work by bus and subway. so lets stop the righteous BS.

People with YOUR mentality is scary.

The bus has to yield. Doesn't matter if it's a car or a bike approaching, the bus has to yield. The victim-blaming here is ridiculous. 

My mentality is scary? My mentality is the law. 

Archived