Bx5 to be split up and also extended to Bay Plaza in 2015

GreatOne2k

Hmm... Just throwing this out there, but a route running b/w West Farms rd. & Castle Hill would really ease the commutes of current Bx22 riders.... A route running b/w West farms rd. & WPR seems stunted/abrupt (although there are more riders on the Bx5 that hit up the shopping area along WPR that emanate from points west of WPR than east of it)...... If they are to split the Bx5, I don't see where else the eastern terminal of the western split could be......

An eastern split is easily discernible (WPR to Bay Plaza) - but to be honest, that to me seems like it would be a fail (largely due to what I said earlier about which half of the current Bx5 sees the most patronage to the shopping center down around WPR there).... I will agree w/ the notion that ppl. that take the Bx5 east of WPR, are seeking co-op proper or bay plz (which is what such a suggestion suggests).....

I just hope this doesn't mean that the Bx29 would be relegated to nothing more than a City Island shuttle (maybe they could have it, along w/ the Bx12 running to orchard during summers, if the 29 no longer served bay plz)..... Meaning, 30 min. service all day, since Bx5's would be added to the mix of routes that run b/w PBP & Bay plaza (area)....

The weekend mention, I'm not putting stock on that that will be permanent..... It'll eventually become the new full time 7 day a week terminal of the Bx5, since bus service to malls generally do quite well.....

To sum it up... I see the pros, I see the cons, and I'm split right down the middle on where I stand w/ this whole Bx5 thing......

My main concern with this new mall (what idiot decided to build a mall next to a mall in a time where sales at malls are dropping considerably is beyond me) is not about whatever the MTA does with the Bx5. I feel the Bx12 +SBS is equipped to handle the demand (which I don't see being much higher than already exists in Bay Plaza). I just would like to know where the stops in Co-op will be placed now. I selfishly want buses to make the right off of I-95 exit 11 once again and stop at the turn being that it's a lot easier to walk to Bartow Av from there than any possible Bx12 stop inside the perimeter of Bay Plaza. Being that this was the deal before construction of the mall I happily anticipate it coming back to fruition but the MTA hasn't updated anyone about that. I'm also curious as to whether the mall stop will be situated in front of the main entrance or at the side entrance to either JCPenney or Macy's. A multi-story parking lot has been built in front of the main entrance to JCPenney so the terminal stop cannot be placed where it was before. 

Running the western portion to Castle Hill would make a lot of sense if it shares the Bx22 terminus.

But where would the eastern portion end? It would essentially be orphaned on its east end, with only one subway connection.

Yeah, that's the point... Where else down there would it end down there in castle hill....

--------

Anyway, I'm looking at the Bx5 schedule, and I had no idea that many trips out of the day (outside of the later PM trips) were terminating in Soundview.....The more I think about this split, the more I think drastic service cuts are coming for this route - especially on the (would be) eastern portion of the route.... They're gonna need to have it run up to Bay Plaza during the weekend so the poor route won't come too close to dead status w/o buses running towards the (6) or commercial Southern Blvd......

During the weekday, They could get away with running the western split every 10 mins during the rush, and every 15 mins. offpeak.... But that eastern end to me screams 12-15 mins peak & 20 mins. middays (without running west of WPR - That's how important Bx5 service is to the (6), to commercial southern blvd, and to the 2/5 around by simpson st sta. is).... The service span of the eastern end could also be lessened, with the later PM trips only dedicated to the western portion of the route....

I have to recant the last part of my OP in this thread.... I'm no longer split down the middle (so to speak) with this splitting of the Bx5 set to come.....

Bx5/Bx5A or Bx5A/Bx5B? Whichever the pair of bus routes that the MTA picks, I'm okay with it.

They don't really do A/B designations unless the routes share a significant portion of their route. This just sounds like a down the middle split, so the MTA is probably going to use the nearest vacant number. The B61 didn't turn into the B61/B61A.

They don't really do A/B designations unless the routes share a significant portion of their route. This just sounds like a down the middle split, so the MTA is probably going to use the nearest vacant number. The B61 didn't turn into the B61/B61A.

They do it for the Bx4 and the Q20, that I know for sure.

One option for the split

Bx5 - Current route to the Throggs Neck Shopping Center (transfer for Q50 for Pelham Bay service via a three legged transfer), extended to Orchard Beach summer weekends

Bx5A - Runs via Bruckner Boulevard the whole way, gives service to other parts of the Bronx separated by the Bruckner Expressway, restores lost service to parts of Bruckner since 1999. This route runs to Bay Plaza all times.

The Shopping Centers (Throggs Neck, Paragon Outlets, and Bay Plaza) will save the Bx5 route

They do it for the Bx4 and the Q20, that I know for sure.

The Bx4 and Bx4A share the same route except on the outer ends, as do the Q20A and Q20B. The Q20A/B designation is also fairly archaic, since it comes from way back in the PBL days when bus numbering was a bit more interesting, to say the least.

Bx5/Bx5A or Bx5A/Bx5B? Whichever the pair of bus routes that the MTA picks, I'm okay with it.

The original Bx5A and Bx5B later became, respectively, Bx54 (the former Parkchester branch) and Bx53 (now the Bx5 short trips).

In this case, the route is being split into two routes.  Neither will be a branch of the other, so they can easily have unrelated numbers.  The available numbers are...

- Bx14  (probably off-limits for political purposes)

- Bx25  (probably off-limits for political purposes)

- Bx37

- Bx43

- Bx44 (not likely, due to proximity of Q44)

- Bx45 (not likely, due to proximity of Bee-Line #45)

- Bx47 and up

Since the Story Avenue part is the busier half of the route, it would probably keep the Bx5 label.  The eastern part might get a new number that "fits in" with the Q50 — say, Bx49, Bx51, or Bx55.  Or maybe the Q50 will simply take over the local stops along Bruckner.

The original Bx5A and Bx5B later became, respectively, Bx54 (the former Parkchester branch) and Bx53 (now the Bx5 short trips).

In this case, the route is being split into two routes.  Neither will be a branch of the other, so they can easily have unrelated numbers.  The available numbers are...

- Bx14  (probably off-limits for political purposes)

- Bx25  (probably off-limits for political purposes)

- Bx37

- Bx43

- Bx44 (not likely, due to proximity of Q44)

- Bx45 (not likely, due to proximity of Bee-Line #45)

- Bx47 and up

Since the Story Avenue part is the busier half of the route, it would probably keep the Bx5 label.  The eastern part might get a new number that "fits in" with the Q50 — say, Bx49, Bx51, or Bx55.  Or maybe the Q50 will simply take over the local stops along Bruckner.

Bx55 would also be off limits for the same reasons as Bx14 and Bx25

What ever route Bx5 do split up with or also extended to Bay Plaza ... I am supporter West Farms Depot do rush hours tripper for helping Gun Hill Depot for Bx5 route... At least when new artic order come in I hope West Farms Depot will able to get more articulated bus for additional route & helping Gun Hill Depot too.... I know Gun Hill Depot will have short of articulated bus later..

Archived