Best Staten Island depot

astogezz

lol... The best? None of them. Management stinks in all of them, but Charleston is the newest.  Are you are a B/O, maintenance guy or what?  You should look at which depot is closest to your residence and go from there.  Meredith isn't really a full depot which is one reason why it's only open Monday to Friday.

So if I was too pick choose Meredith I would have weekends off even though im a probe

I thought most of the vets went to Meredith anyway.  Are you sure you can pick whatever depot you want on SI? When it first opened, a TON of guys from Castleton with seniority went there.  These were all guys that drove express buses, which is what Meredith has.  Express bus only depot.  Those picks pay more so I'm not sure how you would automatically get to pick there.

Not sure if I will be able to im just asking in case I can

Where I live Meredith charleston and Yukon are all like 10 mins from me

Makes sense... You can get just about anywhere on SI in 15 minutes.  The question is then do you want to do express bus runs or local bus runs?  Yukon will have a nice amount of work for express bus service.  Charleston less so.

Here are my observations as I am hopefully joining the team on the 4600 Exam:

I live within 10-15 minutes of driving to both Yukon, Charleston and Meredith.

Depending on what driving you enjoy, people I have talked to either a) don't want to do express at all b) want to do only local routes c) don't care d) like express. The majority I find don't want to deal with express bus routes into Manhattan. Personally, I like the express routes and the MCI buses.

So, if you don't like express routes, Castleton and then Yukon would be your best choices.

If you like express Charleston and Yukon are the better choices.

I don't know anything about Meredith. I guess its game like anything else.

Also strictly speaking, in terms of actual driving, from my understanding, you only get an extra .25 cents per hour when operating articulated buses. You don't receive extra money for driving an express bus. Please correct if this is incorrect.

Here are my observations as I am hopefully joining the team on the 4600 Exam:

I live within 10-15 minutes of driving to both Yukon, Charleston and Meredith.

Depending on what driving you enjoy, people I have talked to either a) don't want to do express at all b) want to do only local routes c) don't care d) like express. The majority I find don't want to deal with express bus routes into Manhattan. Personally, I like the express routes and the MCI buses.

So, if you don't like express routes, Castleton and then Yukon would be your best choices.

If you like express Charleston and Yukon are the better choices.

I don't know anything about Meredith. I guess its game like anything else.

Also strictly speaking, in terms of actual driving, from my understanding, you only get an extra .25 cents per hour when operating articulated buses. You don't receive extra money for driving an express bus. Please correct if this is incorrect.

That is incorrect.  Express bus runs tend to pay more which is why the senior guys usually have those trips, esp. in comparison to local bus runs.

That is incorrect.  Express bus runs tend to pay more which is why the senior guys usually have those trips, esp. in comparison to local bus runs.

In terms of swing-pay and built in-OT (as well as actual occurrence due to traffic) yes, those specific runs are more financially advantageous. But in terms of actual operation of the vehicle, driving an express bus vehicle vs a local bus vehicle there is no difference in pay. Again, I could and accept that I am wrong on the issue. I'll post a question to the 2613 thread, there are a few operators from SI who can provide definitive clarification - I too would like an answer to that question to as potential Staten Island B/O. 

In terms of swing-pay and built in-OT (as well as actual occurrence due to traffic) yes, those specific runs are more financially advantageous. But in terms of actual operation of the vehicle, driving an express bus vehicle vs a local bus vehicle there is no difference in pay. Again, I could and accept that I am wrong on the issue. I'll post a question to the 2613 thread, there are a few operators from SI who can provide definitive clarification. 

Not only that but better clientele. Those local bus on Staten Island is some of the worst I've seen.  They make the local buses in the Bronx look like child's play.

Not only that but better clientele. Those local bus on Staten Island is some of the worst I've seen.  They make the local buses in the Bronx look like child's play.

The worst are the one's from Tottenville High School, on the s55/s56 etc.. Even when I was a student, the students were terrible, fighting, horseplay and outright disrespect for the operator. The students don't want to swipe until they are out of school to go to the mall or whatever. 

I can't say about the other lines, but I know from my experiences on the s79-SBS, the New Dorp students aren't too bad.

I have thick-skin and my overall demeanor prevents most problems.

Personally, I prefer the express and overnight/weekend runs, which is why I am attracted to the job. Many of my friends/family who work as doctors, nurses, real estate, police officers, EMS etc., have odd hours so we're not bound by the traditional 9-5 hours to socialize.

I recieved a transfer to Staten Island I wanted to hear people's opinion about the best Staten Island depot to go to. Some one told me that Meredith is only Monday to Friday is that true ?

A lot of bad information on this thread.

I'm out of Castleton. 

Start with Meredith, you will not see this place lol it was for guys with 15-20 years + on the job. The only outside chance you ever see this place is if you are on the extra list and they need help over there. Very Unlikely to happen. 

Castleton - best depot on the island. Management is cool unless you mess up,  Dispatchers are very cool, drivers are all very cool & helpful. Union people here are much more approachable and help you out.This is the best depot for probies without question. If you can pick Castleton for your 1st yr, do it. Large variety of routes - a lot of local and 3 express lines ( x10,x14,x21, scattered x12 come out of here, but senior guys do it ) They have more available off days for people to use then the other depots and are helpful when you might need to take off a day you are suppose to work and you make up for it working your regular day off. 

Yukon - all I ever heard about here was " Yukon Scum" from drivers to management. Last depot you want to go to as a probie or in general. Everyone is clickish and not accommodating.  Not a place you enjoy going too. 

Charleston - cool depot and the newest. Not much local work and they have the 74-78 lines which are very long. Drivers are always late to ferry leaving you no time to go to the bathroom or grab a coffee ( you can always take a personal but your only prolonging the inevitable lol) and they have a bunch of express. Management here is not as good as Castleton but not as bad as Yukon. 

any questions, just ask. 

The worst are the one's from Tottenville High School, on the s55/s56 etc.. Even when I was a student, the students were terrible, fighting, horseplay and outright disrespect for the operator. The students don't want to swipe until they are out of school to go to the mall or whatever. 

I can't say about the other lines, but I know from my experiences on the s79-SBS, the New Dorp students aren't too bad.

I have thick-skin and my overall demeanor prevents most problems.

Personally, I prefer the express and overnight/weekend runs, which is why I am attracted to the job. Many of my friends/family who work as doctors, nurses, real estate, police officers, EMS etc., have odd hours so we're not bound by the traditional 9-5 hours to socialize.

tott HS might be the best compared to school trips out of I.S 61 on Castleton Avenue, kids opening the emergency windows while your driving, terrible savages they are. 

A lot of bad information on this thread.

I'm out of Castleton. 

Start with Meredith, you will not see this place lol it was for guys with 15-20 years + on the job. The only outside chance you ever see this place is if you are on the extra list and they need help over there. Very Unlikely to happen. 

Castleton - best depot on the island. Management is cool unless you mess up,  Dispatchers are very cool, drivers are all very cool & helpful. Union people here are much more approachable and help you out.This is the best depot for probies without question. If you can pick Castleton for your 1st yr, do it. Large variety of routes - a lot of local and 3 express lines ( x10,x14,x21, scattered x12 come out of here, but senior guys do it ) They have more available off days for people to use then the other depots and are helpful when you might need to take off a day you are suppose to work and you make up for it working your regular day off. 

Yukon - all I ever heard about here was " Yukon Scum" from drivers to management. Last depot you want to go to as a probie or in general. Everyone is clickish and not accommodating.  Not a place you enjoy going too. 

Charleston - cool depot and the newest. Not much local work and they have the 74-78 lines which are very long. Drivers are always late to ferry leaving you no time to go to the bathroom or grab a coffee ( you can always take a personal but your only prolonging the inevitable lol) and they have a bunch of express. Management here is not as good as Castleton but not as bad as Yukon. 

any questions, just ask. 

tott HS might be the best compared to school trips out of I.S 61 on Castleton Avenue, kids opening the emergency windows while your driving, terrible savages they are. 

What "misinformation" have we given?  Castleton Depot for years had TERRIBLE management.  That has changed, but they weren't always as good.  For the record, I was a Staten Island resident for almost 10 years, and used the express buses for a good 7 years before getting the hell out of there and moving to Riverdale.

Let's see:

Meredith, yes weekdays only just D4500s tho

Yukon: just the express prevosts are new

Castleton: alot of hand-me-downs

Charleston: newest one out there

Only a die-hard transit fan would make this response to something that is specifically about the inside and the inner-workings....smh.

What "misinformation" have we given?  Castleton Depot for years had TERRIBLE management.  That has changed, but they weren't always as good.  For the record, I was a Staten Island resident for almost 10 years, and used the express buses for a good 7 years before getting the hell out of there and moving to Riverdale.

That depends on what you mean by management, if you mean on the customer side of things....it's 50/50.

Archived