Nicole Malliotakis, GOP mayoral candidate, says NYC’s reserves could help subway system

Via Garibaldi 8

If you can afford an iPhone, you can afford $2.75.

If you cannot afford $2.75, then you cannot afford an iphone.

There are people who can't afford the $2.75 and cannot afford an iphone.

As I said before if people can't afford NY, they should move somewhere cheaper.  Plenty of people have.  That's the NY of today.  You either work more or leave.  Everyone's costs are increasing for the most part.  

1. Raising the fare is the single worst solution possible. It's a completely regressive tax, in which the poorest people are hit proportionally hardest. $2.75 means everything to somebody making $20k a year, and nothing to somebody making $200k. When you double that, it's still pretty much the same for the $200k person, and now unaffordable for the $20k person. Wealth is unbelievably, grotesque skewed towards the rich in this country. That should be taxed. A far better idea is the tax on the uber-rich that the mayor proposed, which Cuomo won't let go anywhere because he's in the pocket of the rich.

2. The gym thing is stupid. I agree. But the rest of your point is also stupid. He lived in an outer borough and owned a car, big whoop. No mayor has ever traveled without a detail, and it would cost more to put the detail on the subway and cause more inconvenience to everybody else. So I don't know why you're harping on this.

3. Finger-pointing, which happens to be deserved when the governor refuses to fund his own agency, and the largest contribution to the MTA in the history of New York City. Are you reading the news or just Malliotakis's tweets? Terribly informed.

1. That's always the answer isn't it? Tax the rich.  That's so un-American that I don't even know where to start. The problem with this country is over taxation, and over catering to the poor.  If you're disabled or elderly sure, you need assistance. If you're an able-bodied individual who is just too lazy to work harder, then no, no handout for you. If someone is successful through hard work, we don't punish them by forcing them pay more in taxes to support those looking for more handouts.

2. We're not talking about while he's mayor. We're talking about before he was mayor.  There's nothing wrong with him owning a car.  Plenty of people do. The point is it's easy for him to BS and try to play as if he's the "hero" protecting New Yorkers from the "evil" State when he's spent like no tomorrow with so little to show for it, and has not had to depend on the subway for so many years well before he was mayor.  

This is a man who promised he would aggressively reduce homelessness when he came into office and has spent absurd amounts of money while that crisis continues to grow, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to house people in expensive hotels daily instead of finding permanent cheaper housing, and yet we're supposed to believe that he's oh so concerned about being fiscally sound with the (MTA)?  Maybe he has you fooled, but he's not fooling me for a second.  

3. No one is saying that Cuomo is a saint, far from it, but at the same time the finger pointing isn't accomplishing anything.  We have a subway crisis, and we need our leaders to act now, not point fingers about how much money was given years ago. 

Food is a necessity. An iPhone and expensive Jordans are not. See how that works? It's called prioritizing, which many people in this city don't do. If the fare was cheaper, you'd still have people saying I can't afford that, but they'd still walk around with their iPhones and other expensive things. When I was a poor broke college student, I found a way to pay for my transportation, even if that meant working more jobs. You either feel sorry for yourself and make excuses or find a way.

I was "poor" by income standards I suppose when I was in college, but I generally had money when I was college because I always worked and didn't expect my parents to support me. If more people were responsible for themselves we'd have a lot better of a system instead of everyone looking for someone else to pay their way.

. Again? At Least know what to get you for the holidays. Empathy. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

. Again? At Least know what to get you for the holidays. Empathy. Ha!

I empathize with those who are truly poor and can't do any better. There's poor and there's poor.  Either way, raising the fare won't do anything because the people who aren't paying now won't pay then, and spending massive amounts of money of "half-fare" Metrocards is another fraud in the making.

Wow, the thread by someone whose signature reads:

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

and you all don't call this campaigning on her behalf? I'm sickened. This site has really gone downhill.

And about the $5 swipe idiocy - why do you think revenue would go up if you raised the fare this much? Have you studied it? Perhaps all you would do would be cause a massive increase in farebeating. Perhaps a massive drop in ridership.

Wow, the thread by someone whose signature reads:

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

and you all don't call this campaigning on her behalf? I'm sickened. This site has really gone downhill.

Awww you are? Such a shame.  You have 46 posts and now suddenly the site has gone downhill.  lol

Oh please. This mayor has been spending like a drunken sailor. If we really "controlling costs" the reserves would be much more than what they are.

Well what's your solution then? Controlling costs is fine, but that doesn't the problem we have now.

LMAO I was talking about the MTA's absurd capital costs not DeBlasio's spending...

As I said before if people can't afford NY, they should move somewhere cheaper.  Plenty of people have.  That's the NY of today.  You either work more or leave.  Everyone's costs are increasing for the most part.  

1. That's always the answer isn't it? Tax the rich.  That's so un-American that I don't even know where to start. The problem with this country is over taxation, and over catering to the poor.  If you're disabled or elderly sure, you need assistance. If you're an able-bodied individual who is just too lazy to work harder, then no, no handout for you. If someone is successful through hard work, we don't punish them by forcing them pay more in taxes to support those looking for more handouts.

LMFAO! Oooooookay. You're a parody at this point, homes. 

This thread seems like it ran its course. We're just back to VG8's soapbox. 

LMFAO! Oooooookay. You're a parody at this point, homes.

This thread seems like it ran its course. We're just back to VG8's soapbox.

Indeed been down this rabbit hole before. Don’t really have the energy to get sucked in again. Opinions and hearsay someone’s favorites.

What is nicole's take on the devil known as congestion pricing

You can read this:

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/06/malliotakis_slams_de_blasios_c.html

So few people came out to vote in the primaries that quite frankly I think Malliotakis has a small chance if she can get enough people out to vote.  Despite what it looks like, de Blasio is not that popular. I personally would've voted for Albanese or Dietl... Anyone but de Blasio. This man has to go.

So few people came out to vote in the primaries that quite frankly I think Malliotakis has a small chance if she can get enough people out to vote.  Despite what it looks like, de Blasio is not that popular. I personally would've voted for Albanese or Dietl... Anyone but de Blasio. This man has to go.

Your politics are so delusional. Albanese is probably more left-wing than de Blasio, who you think is a communist, Dietl is a moron, and Malliotakis is confused on every major issue in the world. She'll never win. 

Anyway, de Blasio has never supported congestion pricing, though I think he should--or at least a version of it. He's always said that congestion pricing like Cuomo proposed puts the burden on middle-class NYers driving, whereas a tax on the rich asks only from those who can afford to spend. I personally think there's a way to make congestion pricing work without hurting middle-class people (exemptions, tax credits, etc.), but de Blasio has never supported it. 

Your politics are so delusional. Albanese is probably more left-wing than de Blasio, who you think is a communist, Dietl is a moron, and Malliotakis is confused on every major issue in the world. She'll never win. 

Anyway, de Blasio has never supported congestion pricing, though I think he should--or at least a version of it. He's always said that congestion pricing like Cuomo proposed puts the burden on middle-class NYers driving, whereas a tax on the rich asks only from those who can afford to spend. I personally think there's a way to make congestion pricing work without hurting middle-class people (exemptions, tax credits, etc.), but de Blasio has never supported it. 

Listen I'm not wild about any of these candidates, including Malliotakis, but de Blasio has been the most inept mayor we've had quite a while.  I'd even take Bloomberg back and that's saying something.  

$5 a swipe is absolutely absurd...

But, aside from the fact none of us want to pay it, is it really?

If people in DC are paying $4.45 during peak to go from Wheaton to Union Station on the Red Line, why is it far-fetched to think someone could (and possibly should) pay the same to go the same crow-flying distance from 207th St to Spring St on the (A)?

(And before you jump, just remember I'm the guy that's anti Move NY on principle and for a citywide sales tax like LA's Measure R, and I'm against distance fares.)

If people in DC are paying $4.45 during peak to go from Wheaton to Union Station on the Red Line, why is it far-fetched to think someone could (and possibly should) pay the same to go the same crow-flying distance from 207th St to Spring St on the (A)?

(And before you jump, just remember I'm the guy that's anti Move NY on principle and for a citywide sales tax like LA's Measure R, and I'm against distance fares.)

I would say let the (MTA) start collecting the fares at $2.75 first and then we can talk about fare hikes.  If you saw how many people don't pay on the buses alone your head would spin.  Try the Bx6 one of these days.  Just stand at a stop for 15 minutes or so and see how many beat the fare.  It's infuriating.  Don't even get started on the subways...  

. Remember New York is a different it literally grew and thrived around affordable transportation 5cent fare lasted for 44 years. No other city in the United States can say this (Boston and Philadelphia maybe partly) but modern New York City is the subway there one in the same. That type measurement does not apply in this equation.

I would say let the (MTA) start collecting the fares at $2.75 first and then we can talk about fare hikes. If you saw how many people don't pay on the buses alone your head would spin. Try the Bx6 one of these days. Just stand at a stop for 15 minutes or so and see how many beat the fare. It's infuriating. Don't even get started on the subways...

Do you have any stats on fare beating? What’s the estimated percentage of illegal ridership? I’m curious. I know that there’s no other agency in the country with the amount of routes and buses that the MTA operates but I want to what other cities around the country to do to combat farebeaters.

Do you any stats on fare beating? What’s the estimated percentage of illegal ridership? I’m curious. I know that there’s no other agency in the country with the amount of routes and buses that the MTA operates but I want to what other cities around the country to do to combat farebeaters.

The (MTA) can only provide estimates. You can find them in news articles or here on the site. Farebeating has talked about here numerous times.

East New York gave a good example recently about how many people didn't pay in just a span of 45 minutes on one line he observed.

The atmosphere in the NYC Subway System isn't good enough for a $5 swipe. How is the MTA going to explain to tourists, and city residents the sudden increase in fare when there's homeless folks sleeping on station benches, trash on the tracks, and derelict stations with crumbling tiles? The MTA needs to change the way it presents itself and advertises it's transportation before they can do such a thing. 

The Washington Metro is more like commuter rail than it is to the NYC Subway.

And FWIW, people have been advocating for a flat fare within DC, and zone spreading out from there, so its not like people in DC find it acceptable either.

The atmosphere in the NYC Subway System isn't good enough for a $5 swipe. How is the MTA going to explain to tourists, and city residents the sudden increase in fare when there's homeless folks sleeping on station benches, trash on the tracks, and derelict stations with crumbling tiles? The MTA needs to change the way it presents itself and advertises it's transportation before they can do such a thing.

Well that's another big problem. I used the subway Saturday and Sunday and it was appalling. Saturday I went into the city twice. The second time, I took the BxM2 to 57th, got an espresso and then jumped on the (Q). 57th Street was incredibly disgusting. That station hasn't seen mop or power wash in YEARS. The stairs were filled with stains and dried up God knows what. Smelled as always. Got off at 14th street and took the (R) to Prince, which was only a tad "cleaner". Sunday I took the (Q) to Sheepshead Bay Road. That station is an embarrassment. I remember when it was first rehabbed. Trash and bottles scatted all over the tracks and it was just run-down. The (MTA) needs to be ashamed of themselves for the condition of these subway stations, and why in the hell can't they hire more cleaners??

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. On the one hand, oh the (MTA) is SO underfunded, and when they try to do something to address the ongoing crisis we're in, you talk about "keeping reserves". We'll which is it? We can talk about "fundamentals", but that does nothing for the here and now, and if you don't think the system can't be helped in the short-term, then clearly you don't have much faith in the system at all overall. Seems like you just like to cry about how the (MTA) isn't funded instead of finding actual solutions.

Raise money from all the damn development we've been doin off the backs of the subway system. This isn't 'funding', this is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Do you raid your 401k to pay for your meals? Because this is the same type of foolishness.

The last time we had a recession, we had the service cuts which we are still not recovered from. Tapping City reserves now would magnify that effect when this bubble pops, but spread it around to the schools, the police, the fire department, and all those other services we use.

Poor people cannot afford to live in the areas that would have cheaper zoned fares. That's why we built the damn subway, to spread everyone out instead of crowding in the slums like it's 'Gangs of New York' all over again. 

People like to say that 'if you can't afford New York, you shouldn't live here' or some bull like that, but the poor people who work at McDonalds or at your deli or sweep the office floors have to live somewhere within a reasonable commutable distance, unless we want to start pushing 3-hour horror story commutes here like the Bay Area.

Archived