R62/R62A Getting new rollsign

R33WF

Same, except maybe white isn't the best idea. I'd go with orange LEDs.

Its the best I could make in 5 min, plus why retro fit old trains like R44/46s and R62/68 with coputer equipment. It would be a black sign with white letters

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These remind me a bit of the late-80s early-90s large bullets with a small letter or number in the middle. Although the R-110B arrangement was better, I'm still glad to see a destination going on the front which I've always thought was a bad idea to eliminate in the first place beginning with the R-40s.

It almost seems as if they're revisiting some of the old styles since it was also noted recently that new stripmaps on the (7)/<7> also resemble those of the R-110Bs.

It's a good bet that red carpet floors will be installed on new equipment soon.

These remind me a bit of the late-80s early-90s large bullets with a small letter or number in the middle. Although the R-110B arrangement was better, I'm still glad to see a destination going on the front which I've always thought was a bad idea to eliminate in the first place beginning with the R-40s.

It almost seems as if they're revisiting some of the old styles since it was also noted recently that new stripmaps on the (7)/<7> also resemble those of the R-110Bs.

It's a good bet that red carpet floors will be installed on new equipment soon.

Heh...and following that, the return of rattan seating and marker lights :(

Well that and aren't there times where even though the train is signed up for one thing, it would run as another if service requires it more? Like if a local showed up at QBP, but there's a need for an express, which would force the train to run as an express.

Yeah, with the new technology, they could change it to an express at the push of a button.

Well that and aren't there times where even though the train is signed up for one thing, it would run as another if service requires it more? Like if a local showed up at QBP, but there's a need for an express, which would force the train to run as an express.

Not going to happen. What about those passengers who got on before QBP who specifically picked out the local because it would give them a one seat ride and they were at a station where seats were still available? Now they have to give up their seat and transfer, and there is general confusion as the train changes its route. Plus how do you "flexible schedule" the crews like this constantly? If an express goes local, it could mean bye bye lunch for the crew.

HELLZ NO!!!! WTF is the (MTA) thinking? If the LEDs on the 7 weren't bad enough, NOW it's come to THIS?! How about NO?! They will NEVER work. It looks way out of proportion. Just leave it alone as it is! There's no need to change that. :eek:

If they want to do something, why not correspond the front LEDs to the lines in existence? Why does everything have to be in red? :(

HELLZ NO!!!! WTF is the (MTA) thinking? If the LEDs on the 7 weren't bad enough, NOW it's come to THIS?! How about NO?! They will NEVER work. It looks way out of proportion. Just leave it alone as it is! There's no need to change that. :eek:

If they want to do something, why not correspond the front LEDs to the lines in existence? Why does everything have to be in red? :(

Agreed 100%

I do agree, they should not use these new signs with the station names on them. It's pointless and will take forever to change from one number designation to another ex: 1 to a 3 train.

As far as the LED's go, now that they have the green color for the (7), I do hope they use the green LED's for the 4/5/6 lines.

But keep in mind, back then a few years ago different colors might've been too expensive to have and just buying everything with just red might've been more cost effective. The MTA is broke, i don't think they will have signs with new colors because we feel red is boring.

IAWTP, the sign looks grotesque. Leave the number alone.

I do agree, they should not use these new signs with the station names on them. It's pointless and will take forever to change from one number designation to another ex: 1 to a 3 train.

That isn't happening anyhow since the (1) and (3) lines don't usually mix cars nor do any cars in the A Division for that matter with exception of the (2) & (5) which won't be using this equipment anyway. Trains signed as a (1) will probably remain that way until a rare occasion occurs where it will have to be changed to another line. Even changing the destination would be a fairly uncommon occurrence.

Why did the 1 sign says Chambers st instead of South Ferry?

Because that's one possibility of where a train could terminate if the section to So/Fy were to become inaccessible. Whether or not there is a So/Fy reading on that sign is not yet known.

That isn't happening anyhow since the (1) and (3) lines don't usually mix cars nor do any cars in the A Division for that matter with exception of the (2) & (5) which won't be using this equipment anyway. Trains signed as a (1) will probably remain that way until a rare occasion occurs where it will have to be changed to another line. Even changing the destination would be a fairly uncommon occurrence.

Well you are right about that, I was just saying as an example. Maybe what I meant to say is an example like with the G and V [when the V still ran only R46's].

I had that last week on 1775 except that the train was going LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL LOCAL! :)

lol the number of times that has happened to me is unreal. I had a train where the T/O and C/R ended up arguing over whether it was a (7) or <7> @ Queensboro Plaza. Ultimately the train ended up making express stops on the local track to Main St. Those LEDs were a Godsend

lol the number of times that has happened to me is unreal. I had a train where the T/O and C/R ended up arguing over whether it was a (7) or <7> @ Queensboro Plaza. Ultimately the train ended up making express stops on the local track to Main St. Those LEDs were a Godsend

LOL! Talk about a compromise...

I've been on one that was supposed to be express but ended up being local. At one point the conductor said over the PA (I think at 74th St) "Are we going express or what?"

LOL! Talk about a compromise...

I've been on one that was supposed to be express but ended up being local. At one point the conductor said over the PA (I think at 74th St) "Are we going express or what?"

One afternoon I was on a 7 train towards Roosevelt. There was a battery run and the train went express from Mets-Willets to Roosevelt. Then after Roosevelt it went express again. If this happens often and if LEDs weren't there, talk about the havoc

Archived