R62/R62A Getting new rollsign

R33WF

I was thinking: rather than to 'waste' money to buying these new custom rollsigns, why not go 'low tech'?

Low tech as in rather than the signs saying local or express, just have like a way to stick the terminal destination at the front of the sign. Then you can just stick up a different terminal for different routes than to have to keep rolling the sign for the specific combination.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking: rather than to 'waste' money to buying these new custom rollsigns, why not go 'low tech'?

Low tech as in rather than the signs saying local or express, just have like a way to stick the terminal destination at the front of the sign. Then you can just stick up a different terminal for different routes than to have to keep rolling the sign for the specific combination.

You mean similar to Pre rehab rebirds and the r-32/38's during the late 1970's/early 80's right?

this past (3) days i took (1) line. i dont see there no new rollout sign.

it just regular old rollout sign.

It's meant for a test to test out the effectiveness of this thing. If it goes well amongst the public (and not the railfanners), it will probably be implemented. To be honest with you, the MTA often doesn't give a damn about what is good or bad for railfanners.

It's meant for a test to test out the effectiveness of this thing. If it goes well amongst the public (and not the railfanners), it will probably be implemented. To be honest with you, the MTA often doesn't give a damn about what is good or bad for railfanners.

You're right, they really don't, and they shouldn't have to, because the system is not supposed to cater to them.

Yeah, until they realized that Chambers Street was an inadequate terminal during the day so they had to make the (3) stay in Manhattan and the (1) come to Brooklyn. The (3) was local until there were switching congestion at 14th Street so it was changed.

Why is 14th Street a more effective terminal than Chambers? I always wondered why the 3 terminated there instead of going to Chambers while the 7th Avenue Line south of Chambers was closed. Also, what does G.O. stand for? I'm new here.

Why is 14th Street a more effective terminal than Chambers? I always wondered why the 3 terminated there instead of going to Chambers while the 7th Avenue Line south of Chambers was closed. Also, what does G.O. stand for? I'm new here.

Terminating at Chambers Street would block one of the tracks going to Brooklyn. There's no switches near to the local tracks south of Chambers Street to have terminated (3) trains after 9/11. By running (1)s and (2)s local, the (3) train had the express track to turn around without worrying about expediting the process.

And how is that retarded? Those LED's have made life a little bit easier for me, and they have a practical use on the (7).

I agree, the LED's are much more practical than signs set for express or local when the actual service is the reverse of what the sign says.

But I do miss the front LED signs that had LCL/EXP or the full circle/diamond symbols.

i feel it would be more flexible if they would retrofit a small scroll sign just below the bullet scroll sign just for terminals. its IMO a more practical approach. Then again, the (MTA) was retarded enough to add LED diamonds and circles to some of Flushing's R62's.

that might work better. But once again we wouldn't have this problem if PEOPLE JUST READ THE SIGNS! And the (7)<7> actually needs the LEDs because in that case the signs were confusing and/or misleading

that might work better. But once again we wouldn't have this problem if PEOPLE JUST READ THE SIGNS! And the (7)<7> actually needs the LEDs because in that case the signs were confusing and/or misleading

You do know that the LEDs were put in because it take too long to change the rollsign on every car from (7) to <7> or from <7> to (7).

You do know that the LEDs were put in because it take too long to change the rollsign on every car from (7) to <7> or from <7> to (7).

With the added benefits of having the entire train say either local or express instead of half and half, and having the correct sign 99% of the time.

With the added benefits of having the entire train say either local or express instead of half and half, and having the correct sign 99% of the time.

The half and half thing confused the bejeezus out of everyone at Queensboro Plaza. Hey I was one of those confused people. I had the bejeezus confused out of me many times. Sometimes, a train marked express was actually a local, because they apparently forgot to change the rollsigns. And given the fact that the (7)'s time at Times Square is roughly a minute or two, it's really hard for the crews to change every sign in all 11 cars from local to express for the express runs during the afternoon. The lights made everything much easier.

No matter if you have those LED signs or not, if you're on a <7> the conductor will say "this is a 7, EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS EXPRESS (!!!), next stop is 61st-Woodside"

The P/A is hard to hear sometimes because not every C/R speaks loudly into it, and it's annoying sticking your head into the car just to find out whether the train is express or local since the 62A's don't have exterior speakers.

The half and half thing confused the bejeezus out of everyone at Queensboro Plaza. Hey I was one of those confused people. I had the bejeezus confused out of me many times. Sometimes, a train marked express was actually a local, because they apparently forgot to change the rollsigns. And given the fact that the (7)'s time at Times Square is roughly a minute or two, it's really hard for the crews to change every sign in all 11 cars from local to express for the express runs during the afternoon. The lights made everything much easier.

Well that and aren't there times where even though the train is signed up for one thing, it would run as another if service requires it more? Like if a local showed up at QBP, but there's a need for an express, which would force the train to run as an express.

Sounds like an idea I had.

This is my idea, move the route sign box all the way to the top of the box. Then in the space under it add a narrow rollsign with B Division destinations that would not iclude any Eastern Division since the 75's can't go there. If any thing other then a rollsign shoyld be used, white LEDs with a seperate control from the side sign on the R44/46.

Newrollsign.jpg

img_87667.jpg

Archived