I used to think that the R46's were relativley new

Miaaa

Hey everyone! I haven't logged on in a while so idk if anyone remembers me B)

Anway I tried to learn more about the nyc subways by reading stuff and i had no idea the cars on the (F) and (V) were from the 70's. I honest;y thought they were from the late 90's. I also thought the cars on the (:o(D) were from the early 2000's... but i guess i was wrong. :eek: I'm still learning and I hope to know as much as you guys soon :P

Yup i do

(F) Runs R160/R46 | (V) R32/R40/R42/R46

(:P(D) R68/As

B)

I use to thought back when I was little that the R26-36 [iRT] were new cars due to the color scheme it had compared to stainless/carbon steel cars we have today

When I first saw the R110A/B back when I was like 7, I thought robots were taking over the subway system (LOL) since I saw the doors opening in the opposite direction on the (2) at 14th St (R110A). Later on by 2001, when I first saw the R142s I thought they were the R110As, since between 1998-2001 I didnt see any more NTTTs, later on I found out they were R142s while browsing the internet, about 2002-2003... When the R36s were being replaced on the (7) by the R62As I didnt realize that they were being retireed. My knowledge on subways wasn't so good but still good. So after 2003 and into 2004 I havent seen a redbird in service again. The First car that I remember to keep up on retirement was the R38s from March 2009 and then R40As a few months after

Yup i do

(F) Runs R160/R46 | (V) R32/R40/R42/R46

(:P(D) R68/As

B)

I use to thought back when I was little that the R26-36 [iRT] were new cars due to the color scheme it had compared to stainless/carbon steel cars we have today

When I first saw the R110A/B back when I was like 7, I thought robots were taking over the subway system (LOL) since I saw the doors opening in the opposite direction on the (2) at 14th St (R110A). Later on by 2001, when I first saw the R142s I thought they were the R110As, since between 1998-2001 I didnt see any more NTTTs, later on I found out they were R142s while browsing the internet, about 2002-2003... When the R36s were being replaced on the (7) by the R62As I didnt realize that they were being retireed. My knowledge on subways wasn't so good but still good. So after 2003 and into 2004 I havent seen a redbird in service again. The First car that I remember to keep up on retirement was the R38s from March 2009 and then R40As a few months after

Dude, speaking of Redbirds, you know what I thought? I thought R32's were redbirds that were painted silver. I thought that the mta wanted to make the old trains on the (F) look better than the ones on the (7) that were red. I was 7 years old lol

Dude, speaking of Redbirds, you know what I thought? I thought R32's were redbirds that were painted silver. I thought that the mta wanted to make the old trains on the (F) look better than the ones on the (7) that were red. I was 7 years old lol

lol. Well I guess i use to thought to The Silverbirds B)

Tho I rly dont want the R32s going off! They are the only cars that reminds me of the Redbirds, even the R38 kinda, tho they done!

lol. Well I guess i use to thought to The Silverbirds B)

Tho I rly dont want the R32s going off! They are the only cars that reminds me of the Redbirds, even the R38 kinda, tho they done!

Well R32's are pretty much the same thing as the R36WF only wider and are made of stainless steel.

Well R32's are pretty much the same thing as the R36WF only wider and are made of stainless steel.

ill keep it all in general since they all same.

Of course I wouldnt compare to any other fleet later then R38, Maybe R27/30?

Actually, everyone was in your shoes before... We just kept studying and this is how we got our knowledge.

Exactly...I thought R110As were coming back in 2000 when the R142s were on the (2) and R142As were on the (6). The R142s were real problems from what I heard...don't know about the R142As though.

When I was like 4 - 5 years old, I remember calling R44s/R46s/R68s/R68As, ' The Train with the fat doors'. While all the SMEES I rode had the skinny doors. The 75' cars doors pop out, then come back in, while the SMEEs, were just straight and skinny. The (B) back in the late 80s, ran Slants exclusivley, while the (D) has all out R68.:cool:

I always knew that the black bench seaters were older than the bucket seater. However, I couldn't differentiate the R44 with the R68/As since their interiors, acceleration were so similar and that they make that whirl sound like the R1s. Eventually, I started to notice the difference by the way they smell; R44s smell like R42s, and R68/As smell like R62/As. Although this sounds weird, but I think that the R68/As smell the most unique and best.

I always knew that the black bench seaters were older than the bucket seater. However, I couldn't differentiate the R44 with the R68/As since their interiors, acceleration were so similar and that they make that whirl sound like the R1s. Eventually, I started to notice the difference by the way they smell; R44s smell like R42s, and R68/As smell like R62/As. Although this sounds weird, but I think that the R68/As smell the most unique and best.

The cars definitely have a smell to it. I'd have to agree.

The 42's and 44/46 smell were the most interesting when newish. (The A/C's 40's as well. In the 80's, many of the 42 A/C's were then failing, but some still worked. It was cool when you got one that still had the original blue interior, though by then it was all marked up).

What was that; A/C filters? The cars are just not the same cars with the GOH, which is primarily why I am not mourning their departure, and actually hoping it hurries along (as they're old and run down, but not in the original state).

The older cars just smelled like a combination of creosote and mechanical grease (and when running, electric sparks), which is what the GOH cars all smell like now (the grease smell especially when they've been sitting in the yard or barn for a long time, like when being worked on.

I've noticed some equipment had funky smells, but until recently I couldn't understand what it was.. R46's fresh from their SMS, especially ones with the dark floors I've noticed. I think it may be the flooring adhesive..

Another time, I noticed my (E) put-ins had a really bad stench, but familiar. (MTA) had complaints of the stink & removed the specific advertisements from the affected cars. It was the printed advertising material posted up, printed with UV inks that weren't fully cured. I worked in printing, and once you know what UV inks/varnish smell like, you don't forget..

I remember when I was a kid and first started riding the subway, the R62/A's and R68/A's were the "new cars" in terms of timeline and certainly felt like that with redbirds, even the occasional R10, and MANY R32-42 cars still running around the system (particularly since I mostly rode the IRT as a kid due to location). However I remmeber the first time I rode an R46 on the (F), it still had the old brake release with the "hum" before the train took power, which is gone now, but I remember looking at the cars and seeing the LCD signs, the spread out interior with the bucket seats and the bright lighting, and thinking "wow these must be the newest cars" so it's a common mistake to make...no shame in that :o

Well, relatively speaking, they are new. The 70s weren't that long ago, and they still have a while to go before they retire.

Considering the remaining 60 ft SMEEs are dwindling in number and will soon be gone completely, that will make the R-44s and 46s the oldest in the system, especially since they'll be running among a large fleet of brand-new R-160s.

When I was like 4 - 5 years old, I remember calling R44s/R46s/R68s/R68As, ' The Train with the fat doors'. While all the SMEES I rode had the skinny doors. The 75' cars doors pop out, then come back in, while the SMEEs, were just straight and skinny. The (:o back in the late 80s, ran Slants exclusivley, while the (D) has all out R68.:cool:

When I was younger I would call an R44 (A) "one with crooked doors". I would call the R32 or R38s the one with "straight doors".

Before I discovered nycsubway.org in 2002, I did not know notice any difference between R32 and R38s or R44s or R46s. I also thought the R44/46s were newer than the R68/As.

Well, I thought the roll signs weren't roll signs but rather just some static sign lol.

Another thing I thought when I was little was that the R32 was the newest in the system since they had the front LCD thing and they always look shiny for some apparent reason...

And I used to refer to the old SMEEs as "the train with the front window" and would always wait for one of those if they ran on the line.

The R46 has the curved sides and has aged well. It's interior is rather 1970s in color and feel however it's deluxe and nice. The R44/R46 is a rather quiet and smooth train, though some R46s are "bumpy". Removing the stripes have kept the exteriors looking fairly up to date, so, they look fairly timeless from the side.

The R68s are similar, just silver walls and no partitions near the doors, but similar seats and layout. The R44's/R46s digital signs mix some people up as they were placed in the GOH but the R68s do not have GOH's or digital elements. For me, the R68 looks like a later design to the R44/R46.

The pre-44s have a boxier look about them and the R32 shares design features of redbirds and have pantograph gates. The R32s are pretty shiny, especially when cleaned, but their design feels like an older model, IMO. The R42s don't have the sleeker curved look, are 60-feet, have no digital elements, and are pretty rusty, plus they have the pantograph gates (and for some weird reason, so do the R62s).

Archived