Sleepless Long Island City residents no fans of annoying MTA vent noise

Harry

They're just tired of it.

Hundreds of Long Island City residents continue to be awakened after midnight by the howling of an MTA exhaust fan, a month after the agency promised to reduce the disturbance, neighbors said.

Residents of Citylights and other buildings near the small industrial plant where the fan is located have been roused from their slumber by the noise every weeknight between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. since late May, locals said.

"I haven't had a good night's sleep in four months," said Mark Christie, an office manager who lives on the 25th floor of the Citylights building.

"I feel like screaming sometimes," he said.

Workers for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority have been using the fan for ventilation as they cut and weld new rails on the 7 train line in the Steinway Tunnel, a spokeswoman said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/08/14/2009-08-14_sleepless_long_island_city_residents_no_fans_of_mta_vent_noise.html#ixzz0OA9gCkOJ

post-1-133288580716_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580716_thumb.jpg

Face it, LIC had always been an industrial zone. Just move to the Hub or something in spite of the high crime rate, it's relatively quieter and perhaps cheaper.

Plus the factories/businesses and the LIRR were doing their 'thing' decades before these new residents moved in. Until recently this was an industrial zone neighborhood and a reason hardly anyone lived in that area. If the LIRR/Factories came later i would be in support of the residents.

Either the new arrivals in LIC 'deal with it' or as R44 suggested move to other 'affordable' parts of the outerboroughs such as the South Bronx or St George's area of Staten Island.:mad:

Did those residents actually do their homework about the neighborhood before they moved in?.Obviously not because in the last 100 years or so Long Island City has always been an industrial zone and continues on to this day.Don't get me wrong i understand where they are coming from but we live in reality and reality is that noise to one degree or another is practically everywhere.They have 2 choices in the matter either you grin and bear it or move away into another area or zone.New York City is the city that never sleeps and unfortunately there are cetain places that are noisier than others.

Did those residents actually do their homework about the neighborhood before they moved in?.Obviously not because in the last 100 years or so Long Island City has always been an industrial zone and continues on to this day.Don't get me wrong i understand where they are coming from but we live in reality and reality is that noise to one degree or another is practically everywhere.They have 2 choices in the matter either you grin and bear it or move away into another area or zone.New York City is the city that never sleeps and unfortunately there are cetain places that are noisier than others.

(B)ingo! Exactly.

Whiny people, try working around construction noise for 5 days at 7 hours minimum if you don't do overtime for that week. Better yet try breathing in welding fumes, a wonderful smell. I have a sugesstion for these people, write a letter to the powers that be and shove that letter where it hurts.

Archived